Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 1989 bronco and am trying to get it insured. Everything passes the inspection except for the brakes because the park brake system is missing the "brake cable equalizer" or "brake cable adjustment assembly" (both names were told to me by the mechanic doing the inspection for the same part) i work out of town and would like to simply order the part but i am having a lot of trouble finding that part online. I can go to a pick and pull when im on days off but lik e i said i would rather order the part and have it ready when im home.

If anyone can help me with a link for a place to purchase the entire assembly that would be great! Any help at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd say you new Bronco is in pretty good shape, if all pass but parking brake. The last inspection of my Bronco, they asked if everything worked, I said I checked before I came and on my way with two year inspection. I have lived in Ca, Tx, PA, MN and now LA and have never had an inspection that looked at the parking brake.

To your question, I have used LMC Bronco and Bronco Graveyard suggest you go online pretty certain they can source that part for you.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
If your talking about the parking bake set up on the outside drivers side frame rail where you make adjustments you ought to be able to find one on a similar year F150 which should match up and a lot cheaper then buying a new one, just clean and lube it and you should be good to go!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help guys.

I was hoping to have the part waiting for me for when i get home but if not i know i can easily find it on a bronco, f150 or ranger from similar year. just gonna have to crawl under some scraped trucks in 4 inches of snow maybe haha.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
This is what the "Tension Limiter" and "Tension Equalizer" looks like.

Note malleable "Cinch Strap Hook" in the Tension Limiter Housing which bends and relaxes with brake wear. The one pictured below is very worn just prior to replacement so I threw on a zip tie to hold it.

I ended up pulling mine and replaced it with a more high tech non-malleable device... :toothless

·
Banned
7,818 Posts
Note malleable "Cinch Strap Hook" in the Tension Limiter Housing which bends and relaxes with brake wear.
Brake wear reduces the tension on the cable, and is compensated by the brake autoadjusters.

The tension limiter pays out if you either over-adjust the nut on the equalizer, or if you stomp the hell out of the e-brake cable.

This photo shows the service PN for the assembly:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/280849

1 - 7 of 7 Posts