Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a small issue, my bronco will run great then after awhile it will lose throttle and stall and when I try to start back up it will backfire a lil and wont start back up, Ill wait about 5 min it starts up and runs great!!! we eliminated the fuel pump its working great plenty of pressure and fuel coming out of the fuel rail, Im having it scanned today, I also was told it could be the distributor!!!! help, thank you

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
But how much fuel pressure are you getting? Could be ignition control module on side of dissy, or pickup inside the distributor. Might be fuel pressure regulator as well.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
But how much fuel pressure are you getting? Could be ignition control module on side of dissy, or pickup inside the distributor. Might be fuel pressure regulator as well.
:twak:twak:twak:twak

how can you answer his question without knowing what year and engine he has?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
doh I always assume EFI....

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quick question, when it doesn't start does the tach bounce around when you are trying to start it? It the tach doesnt move then the pickup in the distributor is failing. Mine did this and would stall out at the strangest times, just to start right up after a few mins.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 5.0 1994 efi, I scanned it and it had some 311 codes, from what i understand these are related to the dissy and control module, the fuel pressure is at 33psi, its calls for 30-40 so its good! also the coolant temp sensor is broke will that flood the engine, does anyone know, like today it never stalled but hesitated a but, but it accelerated like ass, after it does stall it trys to start and wont until after a few min

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Its a 5.0 1994 efi, I scanned it and it had some 311 codes, from what i understand these are related to the dissy and control module, the fuel pressure is at 33psi, its calls for 30-40 so its good! also the coolant temp sensor is broke will that flood the engine, does anyone know, like today it never stalled but hesitated a but, but it accelerated like ass, after it does stall it trys to start and wont until after a few min
had some 311 codes??? wtf does that mean?

if it is 311 thats a code for Thermactor air system inoperative (right side)

33 psi was that running with the vacuum line disconnected from the regulator or key on engine off?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
which temp sensor is bad? the one on your dash or the one that the ECM uses?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its the coolent temp sensor in front of the block, its broke in half, the im not sure sbout the 311 codes its what the scanner pulled up,and it was engine running for the fuel psi

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
did you disconnect the vacuum line to the regulator when the engine with running?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No the specs on the shops computer did not require to remove it it gave what the psi should b running and not running with the key on!

·
Registered
17 Posts
TFI

i had a similar prob on my 96 5.8 it would start and run fine, every once and a while it would just die. after 5-10 min wait it would fire back up and i was off. turned out to be a TFI module or thick film ignition module. its located on the inside fender wall on the drivers side. if all else fails, give this a shot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its funny you say that because I changed it today, I guess they call it a ignition control module also... is this the same thing with the heat sinks on it, I havent givin it a good run but it does seem better its located on the driver side close to the firewall, I was gonna replace the distributor also but the parts house said theres really nothing that can go bad on it except the pickup on it since the module is separate on these broncos!!! and I replaced the coolant temp sensor cause it was broke in half!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now it seems to run good, but man I really want to gear it, I think I can push it faster, its good once im rolling but damn it sucks startin out, just curious how it will react with 4:88 gears gears and my 35's!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
a hell of a lot better than stock gears!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Now it seems to run good, but man I really want to gear it, I think I can push it faster, its good once im rolling but damn it sucks startin out, just curious how it will react with 4:88 gears gears and my 35's!!
I love my 4.88s and 35's! however im doing about 50mph when my speedo says 65. lol i need to fix that!

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
My 86 BKO has a TFI module which is located "directly" on the distributor designed specifically for this application where you apply a "special white film/grease" on the back of the module before installing it on the TFI distributor using the "special tool", the film/grease acts as a "heat insulator" for the module..

So for that reason it's doubtful TFI's are "romote" located on the fender wall but rather those modules would be more of a "mounted stand alone module" application...

In most cases modules can be tested FREE but an indication of initial TFI module failure is starting, loss of engine power and restarting issues, where the engine can/will "stall" while driving and the engine will crank but not fire up immediatley but wait 15-30 minutes and it will fire right up as if nothing is wrong but will repeat same, continue to get worse until it fails entirely with no start ability.....

Replace module time...(Motorcraft)

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts