Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FSB's I was told today that i needed some new springs which is logical at 170K, but I was also told that this would make my Donkey "mis" aligned? True or False?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
springs

front end springs, guess that makes sense....any leads on where :banghead to get some?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
Hey FSB's I was told today that i needed some new springs which is logical at 170K, but I was also told that this would make my Donkey "mis" aligned? True or False?
If they mean you may need a front end alignment afterwards, I don't think so !

Even if you do, take it to a second, independent shop for their opinion. If they mean it'll change your front to rear level, yes but it's for the better usually.

As bronco's age their rear can get lower than the front end as the leafs die a slow death. Some people get a single "add-a-leaf" added to the leaf spring bundle.

Others replace both whole leaf springs. Some buy used, some buy new, some buy 3/4 ton (I did) new or used leaf springs.

To offset the harsher ride of the 3/4 ton springs I added Velvet-Ride shackles. Later, when even the new leaf springs started to get lower than the front end again, I went against conventional Bronco wisdom and stuck air shocks into the rear.

Choices are a-plenty for you. Be sure to get several quotes and try medium/heavy (big) truck spring places.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
214 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
front end springs, guess that makes sense....any leads on where :banghead to get some?
There's several company's that will make new coil springs to OEM specs, but if you want stock ride level, try the dealer's parts counter or Jeff's Bronco Graveyard for stock springs. Coil springs take a much longer time to sag, usually, than leaf springs, I'm surprised yours have sagged, but the rear leaf units haven't.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sagging at all ;) but the goodyear jerk says they are leakin?? Is that possible (remember we are talkin about springs here lol)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
I am not sagging at all ;) but the goodyear jerk says they are leakin?? Is that possible (remember we are talkin about springs here lol)
He must be talkin' bout yo shocks, either that or he's a Chev-lovin' idiot

Sixlitre

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rofl: thats what i am sayin! I never knew springs leaked except the kind in the mountains where i like to get nakey!! LOL

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
Good to hear you're not.

The goodyear jerk (assuming he is inspecting your truck suspension), should be able to more strictly pinpoint any possible leaks seen. Shocks, axle ends, etc. But springs don't leak.

Got a camera? post some pics. Of your situation, that way it is much easier to see what we are dealing with. Pics of you ok2:rockon

·
Registered
75 Posts
sounds kinda fishy... I'd try a new shop... did you have an initial 'ride' problem that caused you to go to the shop?

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:

Well, alot of this depends on if the Bronco's been lifted. Stock height springs can be had at just about any auto parts store. If you have any suspension lift at all, then you're options are a little more limited. You'll want to go to the local 4x4 shop to get new ones, unless your loal auto parts store carries lifts...

hope this helps...

:thumbup

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Shado and Retro. I will get some pics and mail em to ya. I took my Bronco in for an alignment after putting in a new drag link, wheel joints and wheel bearings. The goodyear punk said he would not align it unless i spent 440$ and put in new springs. He said the springs were leaking. I just put in new shocks a year ago and they are good. I think he was just tryin to soak me cuz my Bronco does not lean unless I make it lean!

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
I'd take it to a different shop... period. Sounds like this guy is one of those "take advantage of a woman cuz she probably doesn't know anything" types we all hear and read so much about... Good on ya Girl!!!

:twotu:

·
Banned
35,160 Posts
Ask dip$#!+ to WRITE DOWN exactly what is leaking, from where, onto what, & then sign his name to it. I'll bet he changes his tune.

I have good pair of bolt-ons to sell that will keep you from sagging. ;) They're in the lower L of this pic. E-mail me if you want them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
Thanks Shado and Retro. I will get some pics and mail em to ya. I took my Bronco in for an alignment after putting in a new drag link, wheel joints and wheel bearings. The goodyear punk said he would not align it unless i spent 440$ and put in new springs. He said the springs were leaking. I just put in new shocks a year ago and they are good. I think he was just tryin to soak me cuz my Bronco does not lean unless I make it lean!
The guy is blowing smoke up your skirt my dear, slag him off and go somewhere else, Bronco springs are solid steel, no leaks.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Dangit, NMBroncogirl, you're gonna be pop here, the way you describe things....

"trying to soak me"
"I am not sagging at all"

Always love to hear from a babe with a Bronco.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
So if you figured the guy is tryin' to hose ya and you knew springs didn't leak, then why are you asking on here? Maybe you should have stayed naked in the mountains.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts