Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago I replaced the head gaskets. I ran about 300 miles and retorqued the head bolts this weekend. I just started it up and it runs good but there is a ticking sound coming from the drivers side valve cover. Is it possible it is a valve hitting a piston? It sounds just like a plug wire grounding itself to the block but I checked the wires and they seem fine. Please help

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know its obvious but is there a spark plug that may have come loose? It happened to me and I went and check all the bolts and everything before I found it...felt like an ass after I found it. Just an idea.

·
Registered
402 Posts
maybe a rocker backed off and you need to tighten it down.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spark plugs are fine, rockers I did not touch, and an manifold leak would not sound like that. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How did you replace your heads without pulling your pushrods? If you had the heads off I would think that retorquing the rockers would be manditory, especially if the tubes might have gotten mixed up [slightly different lengths due to wear]

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LukeNukem said:
How did you replace your heads without pulling your pushrods? If you had the heads off I would think that retorquing the rockers would be manditory, especially if the tubes might have gotten mixed up [slightly different lengths due to wear]
Todays job was just retorquing the heads not taking them off. I just took the intake and valve covers off and retorqued the 20 head bolts. Then I bolted everything back together. Now I have a ticking sound.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If you dropped any grit or crap (like pieces of the old valve cover gasket) into a galley, you may have an isolated lube issue or a dry lifter. I think if you can't narrow down the tapping to somewhere other than the heads, you may need to pull that valve cover and check just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mcaldwell said:
If you dropped any grit or crap (like pieces of the old valve cover gasket) into a galley, you may have an isolated lube issue or a dry lifter. I think if you can't narrow down the tapping to somewhere other than the heads, you may need to pull that valve cover and check just to be sure.
I agree with that. But how do I narrow it down? I can't run the engine with the valve cover off or I'll make a serious mess.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
i would just recheck the pushrods and lifters. it isnt hard to take the valve covers off at all.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imlikeojnow said:
i would just recheck the pushrods and lifters. it isnt hard to take the valve covers off at all.
Not necessarialy true. Luckily the noise is from the drivers side which is pretty easy(just take of the T/B). But the passenger side I have to take of the upper plenum. To do that it is a major PITA. I have a custom Edelbrock intake setup. The upper plenum is a PITA to get off and it must come off in order to get to the valve cover. But yes I will check the rods. How can I check the lifters?

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
I think there is something in the haynes manual, about valve lash or some shit cant remember. i didnt have that problem when i did mine.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Well first I'm no mechanic, just a guy who took auto shop and tinkered with my buddies as a teenager, so please don't take my word as gospel. I've never ran a 5.8 with the valve covers off, but if it is the same as most other engines it should not be that messy to just start it briefly, or even pull the coil and crank it for a few seconds to build minimal oil pressure. It should be a low squirt, not a long jet. Hold the valve cover off to the side to catch any splash.

You should see some oil coming up through the top of the pushrod when the pump is engaging. If the one noisy rod is not flowing oil, you have a plug and need to pull and clean the rod and lifter. To test the lifter for oil capacity, you could compress it partially with the handle of a wooden mallet (takes some force, so lean on it and should take a few seconds to slowly drain down), and then crank the engine over to build oil pressure, and see if it returns to zero lash on it's own. If the lash does not go away, you either have a rocker adjustment, or plug/flow problem.

Somebody else may hopefully have a simpler way.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. That is what I will do. I can't run it because I have to take the TB and sensors off to get the valve cover off. But I can crank it over and check it out. I have no time today but will hopefully get to it soon. In the meantime I am thinking it would be ok to drive short distances, eg. to work.

·
green ones make me horny
11,148 Posts
You could also pull the dizzy and turn the oil pump that way. it will let you know if you are getting oil to all the lifters as well

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just drove to and from work about 4 miles each way. I noticed the "ticking" goes away when I let off the gas. It all of a sudden dawned on me that it is a header gasket leak. I do have cheap header gaskets as the bassani ones I had originally got trashed. I will order new bassani gaskets this week and I am betting that that is the problem.

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Chris, I would go with the exhaust as the first place I would look. Looks like you hit the nail on the head with your #16 post. I keep getting an exhaust leak on my driver side exhaust manifold and it drives me crazy. I would replace the gasket but I really need to start thinking about rebuilding my engine.

dc

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dangling_Dave said:
Chris, I would go with the exhaust as the first place I would look. Looks like you hit the nail on the head with your #16 post. I keep getting an exhaust leak on my driver side exhaust manifold and it drives me crazy. I would replace the gasket but I really need to start thinking about rebuilding my engine.

dc
Let me know when you do your build Dave. I don't know if you looking to do what I did but aside from a blown head gasket I love my setup. Great power. But it was a bit pricey.

k1w1t1m said:
My prize?
We'll see. I don't think I even saw that post. Good job K1.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts