Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one. I have a 96 xlt bronco 351 auto with Bw 1356 . I have put in new shift motor, a known good TCM and still have no 4x4 shift from the switch. No lights, only stays in 2hi. Manually can be shifted with ease under truck by hand, but just stopped working totally. Click from TCM but no power to orange wire. Any more ideas. I have checked fuses also. Banging head on wall for any other reasons it stopped working.

·
Super Moderator
23,139 Posts
Yo Jason,
1356 Electric Shift Troubleshooting & Repair - BEST PROCESS!
Source: by Dustin S @ 1989 Ford Truck F 250 4WD Pickup V8-460 7.5L - Diagnosis of the Electric Shift 4 X 4

Also, 1356 Electric Shift Motor Typical Failures & Prevention; "...Most units fail because of water or mud intrusion. Carefully inspect motor boot or protective coverings. Be sure connector seals can keep water and debris out. Check wiring harness and connector. Replace or repair wiring as necessary. After installation, periodically select 4-wheel drive mode to ensure operation when needed..."
Source: by CARDONE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone had bad body grounds that affected that in a thread on here by any chance? I always suspect of bad grounds on these trucks but this is my electric problem with this truck. Back window even works!

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you have the cash and the time, I would recommend a manual conversion. JBG has everything you need now to do it so you don't have to go waste a Saturday in the JY. You just need a manual TC. Its totally a preference thing but I like the idea of putting it in 4x4 or 4Low and knowing for a fact that it's in. With that "SOTF" system, you're waiting on the things to go wrong, i.e. wiring, TC motor, etc.

Shift linkage: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/92-98-4wd-Shift-Linkage/productinfo/31611L/

Shift lever: https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-1992-1996-F6TZ7210HA-F2TZ7210B-F2TZ7210K/dp/B00BI3HSSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532099127&sr=8-1&keywords=1993+ford+bronco+transfer+case+shift+lever

You would still need to find the harness that goes from the TC to the Truck that shows "4X4" on the dash, but I find those all day in the JY.

·
Super Moderator
23,139 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts