Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm not a Noob but I don't want to break any rules. I need help determining a fair asking price for my 1978 Bronco Custom.

It's all original, numbers-matching...no mods...original wheels, original (rare) oil bath air cleaner, sliding rear top windows, cactus-pusher front bar. New Process 205 transfer case (gears, not chains) and Dana 44 front axle. 106,000 miles. Clean Georgia title in-hand.

I was goint to restore it, but I simply don't have the time and the project has been sitting too long. It's time for a new owner to get it back on the road. Brakes are shot; it has a new master cylinder but will need all new rotors, calipers and lines all-around.

Has a new starter and an Optima yellow-top battery. Has a new starter.

Will start and run - but with roughness...likely a valve issue. Problem unknown, so engine likely needs rebuilt. No known issues with transmission. Tires are old and dry. I would think a new fuel tank would be best for it as well. Has A/C and power steering.

Here is a video of it running: Video: IMG 8134 | 2018-3-17-Ford-Bronco-1978 album | Shane & Michele White's Photos

A gentleman approached my neighbor and told him to tell me that if I wanted to sell it, he was interested. We haven't talked price at all.

The vehicle in question was originally silver; the original owner painted it a dark red.

I want to ask a price that is fair to both of us. I know many of you are active in the Bronco market and can suggest a proper price for a deal.

Here are some pics and a Marti report. It's just S. of Atlanta, GA. If the deal falls through with the interested buyer once I determine a price, I'll likely list it for sale here.

Thanks in advance, and mods feel free to move this to where it belings if there is a proper forum for "what's it worth" threads.

Shane

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Plant
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light
Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Yo Shane,
Unfortunately, our rules state "Members with less than 50 posts CANNOT view or create new threads in FOR SALE section."
But, there's not much activity here in selling our Broncos to other members.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Miesk; is this thread OK here in the introductions section? Just looking for some input from folks who know the value of these things...but I'm not going to post-spam to hit 50. I'm at 32 or 33 posts and I've been a member here since 2018.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One cool thing about this Bronco is the oil-bath air cleaner. I had asked the original owner (who I bought it from) about it and he said it was sitting on the lot in Memphis with that option installed when he bought it. He was a cattle farmer...the local Ford ealer catered to farmers in his area, and tended to order "all business / working man" vehicles to meet the specific needs of farmers. He used the truck to tow his cattle trailer to bring animals to auction. Thus the oil bath air cleaner, fog lamps, and "cactus pusher" were deemed good options for potentially dusty farm operations, and the "Custom" (with AC added) was deemed to be a no-frills setup for a working truck (vs. the XLT) with the comfort of A/C to combat the Memphis heat during a haul. I guess most folks over the years removed the oil-bath and installed a conventional paper element, but this one is an un-modded survivor. Kind of neat history and reasoning behind the options.

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Thank you Miesk; is this thread OK here in the introductions section? Just looking for some input from folks who know the value of these things...but I'm not going to post-spam to hit 50. I'm at 32 or 33 posts and I've been a member here since 2018.
Yo Shane,,
Yes, gather estimates from other members.
Good Fortune!
Al

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,577 Posts
It looks from the pics to be mostly cosmetic issues, and little to no dents/dings. If you got it running good (might just need a good tune-up), I would bet you could ask more than your neighbor really had in mind. I couldn't really tell you a dollar amount, but I've seen them on Craiglist a lot rougher than that going for 15K. When you get a price worked out, post it on bringatrailer.com, someone will jump on it.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,335 Posts
Moved from the intro section...

That bronco has great potential. I would certainly ask 15k for it.

The sliding windows on the topper are worth at least 500 bucks by themselves. Pretty rare option. Its also got the custom level round headlights which most guys prefer.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
5,264 Posts
Its also got the custom level round headlights which most guys prefer.
Custom level round headlights? I don't understand what you mean by that... The 78 production line originally had round headlights...6 months into production they changed over to the square ones that are on the 79 and last 6 months of 78 models...

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,335 Posts
Custom level round headlights? I don't understand what you mean by that... The 78 production line originally had round headlights...6 months into production they changed over to the square ones that are on the 79 and last 6 months of 78 models...
All custom trim level 78s came standard with round headlights. They could be optioned to square. I think round eyes could even be had in 79 if you wanted.

All i know about the squares were that midway in 78, Ranger and above trims came standard with them and also in 79. My 78 F150 Ranger has the squares.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
5,264 Posts
All custom trim level 78s came standard with round headlights. They could be optioned to square. I think round eyes could even be had in 79 if you wanted.

All i know about the squares were that midway in 78, Ranger and above trims came standard with them and also in 79. My 78 F150 Ranger has the squares.
Gotcha... I dunno about the round headlights being optioned past 6/78
I haven't seen any 79 broncos with round lights without having changed to a 78 front clip... Now you're gonna make me go find a 79 brochure to see what the options were 😏

For the op... Down south where broncos aren't as terribly scarce as up north here...I think 15 is a little high... Given what needs done if I were the buyer I'd comfortably offer 9 or 10, and probably agree to 12... Maybe 13 if the interior was really good...

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
For the op... Down south where broncos aren't as terribly scarce as up north here...I think 15 is a little high... Given what needs done if I were the buyer I'd comfortably offer 9 or 10, and probably agree to 12... Maybe 13 if the interior was really good...
All good points.
The body looks good and solid. But if I was in the market I'd probably only be in for about $8K with the current paint job.

·
18,335 Posts
Gotcha... I dunno about the round headlights being optioned past 6/78
I haven't seen any 79 broncos with round lights without having changed to a 78 front clip... Now you're gonna make me go find a 79 brochure to see what the options were 😏

Im positive about all customs in 78 having them as standard equipment. But unlike today, you could order a custom, then add every single option you wanted, even duplicating, say, the Ranger XLT. But it would still have the custom badge.

The date of 6/78 would be a very late 78 MY. They generally cease production after July. Nowadays is even worse... My 2008 superduty was made in February of 2007.

Im not positive at all about the round eyes in 79.

Asking 15k is just good bartering. That way he has room to come down. Im considerably farther south, but still in the rust belt. That wouldnt last a day on CL here at 10k. Ive seen them sell with rust holes in the floor and rotten fenders for 6k. Its kinda nuts!

·
Registered
1994 EB Bronco Red\Tan 5.8
85 Posts
You can't get what you don't ask. I'd ask for north of what you want knowing you will come down some most likely.

Ain't many of those in that kinda shape riding around these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts