Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my truck it will fire up. Then starts to choke out once I get it running and moving after a few minutes it starts choking and then dies on me and won't start again. It wasn't bad at first but now I can't get it to run for longer then a few seconds. It's acting like its not getting fuel like the pump is cutting in and out. Any help would be great, I just got the truck a few weeks ago. I am not familiar with the 351w motor, so I don't know where to start. To me it seems like the fuel pump, but I want to get a few idea's before I start dumping money into something that won't fix it. And being I work on a cattle ranch I need my truck!!! Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Got spark when it dies?
Got fuel?

check the spark with a spark plug grounded on the block on # 1 plug wire.

Fuel check remove air cleaner, pump accel and see if fuel squirts into carb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check those. Just to make sure I'm correct the firing order is 1,2,3,4, from front to back on the passenger side and 5,6,7,8, on the driver side?

Got spark when it dies?
Got fuel?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im guessing we are talking about your Bronco since you didnt specify. There are three basic things to having a running motor. Air, Fuel, Spark. If all of these are fine you have other issues. Make sure your fuel pump is good. Maybe your carb needs a good cleaning IE stuck float maybe choke not opening. Bad Vacume leak. Are there any symtoms other than choking out? Sputtering? Coughing? Maybe time for a new Timing set? How is the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs? Have you tried anything to remedy the issue?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I'll check those. Just to make sure I'm correct the firing order is 1,2,3,4, from front to back on the passenger side and 5,6,7,8, on the driver side?
Thats is how the cyclinders are numbered, the actual firing order is totally different that 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct it's my Bronco. I have Replaced wires. No other symptoms just the choking. Before it just stopped running recently it tended to die when reducing from highway speeds to in town speeds.

Im guessing we are talking about your Bronco since you didnt specify. There are three basic things to having a running motor. Air, Fuel, Spark. If all of these are fine you have other issues. Make sure your fuel pump is good. Maybe your carb needs a good cleaning IE stuck float maybe choke not opening. Bad Vacume leak. Are there any symtoms other than choking out? Sputtering? Coughing? Maybe time for a new Timing set? How is the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs? Have you tried anything to remedy the issue?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,409 Posts
Thats is how the cyclinders are numbered, the actual firing order is totally different than 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
:stupid
That's not the order that you used on the distributor cap, right?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Got spark when it dies?
Got fuel?

You said that you were going to do this.

What were your results?

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine did the same thing. i have an 85 with the 351w. i had to change my fuel tank due to accumulation of rust in it. my gauge didnt work and i ran it out of gas and it sucked up so much trash it took out my fuel pump. put a new pump on it and it got to where it would just die and it would spark knock like hell when it did run. i dropped the tank and man it was in bad shape. got a new tank from lmc along with a new sending unit and it was a total night and day difference. i also went thru the carb just to make sure but all was fine... keep us posted man... cant wait til i get mine back on the road... almost there just waitin some money to come my way to buy little stuff... i just reringed it and put new bearings in the bottom end... check this out, i bought this truck and the guy said," yep a buddy of mine whos a good ford mech just built the motor and tranny in it so itll be good for a while" it started knocking shortly after on cold start up but would go away... i drove it for like a year til it just one day the el cheapo mr gasket fuel filter went to leaking and i said [email protected]#$ it and pulled the motor out to redo it... tore it down and the bolts holding the oil pick up tube to the pump, one fell out and one was barely hanging on so i just got bearings and rings and put in it. in that time i was laid off and dont have any funds as of right now for stuff like oil, belts, hoses, plug wires so its gonna be another week or so but ill let u guys know how it runs when i finally get it finished. damnt i miss drivin that tank...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have not had a chance to check them, I will let ya'll know as soon as I get the chance. I was at a NASCAR party today, and no I am not happy about the results of the race:banghead

You said that you were going to do this.

What were your results?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes check the basics first before you spend any money on parts. If you dont have fuel spraying in the carb then take the line loose from the carb and have someone crank it to see if any fuel is coming out of the supply line. If not go back to the filter and take it loose to see if it has fuel there. Have you changed the plugs? If not it might not hurt to pull a few and see if they are all fouled out looking. Sounds like you need to start with some basic tune up stuff just to get all of those questions out of the way too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked everything as advised. Turns out it was the ignition coil, replaced it and she is running like a champ...
Thanks for all the advice...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts