Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Hope all is well. I am currently looking into an fsb. It's a 79. I have one question. I've been told to shy away from that year of fords because they have motor problems. My question is. Which engines in particular had the most problems if any at all in that year. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's BS. :bs
all the 78/79's came with 351M or 400's
The 351M/400 is an awesome motor with lots of low end power for wheelin'.
- Plus by just changing the crank and pistons on a 351M it's a 400! :twotu:
-- Plus, it has a big block bolt pattern on the tranny end so you can always slide a 429/460 right on in. :thumbup
--- Plus, on a lot of the 78/79's you don't need to pass emissions ;)
---- Plus the 78/79's had solid front axles so you don't have to worry about swapping out that sissy IFS. :goodfinge
----- Plus they look so much better than the newer ones. :usa

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
The 351m/400 has a tendency to lose oil pressure if they are beaten and/or not maintained. I had one that showed 0 oil pressure when warm, but I drove it like that for two years. :toothless

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Not to pick on the earlier FE truck motors or the 302/351W, because I like anything Ford made and we build all of them here at the shop..BUT..I will say this: More 351m/400 engines have come through here with well over 200,000 miles on them and still running, than any other flavor Ford made except maybe the tough old 240/300 I6. Whoever was telling you the engines are/were not reliable is hopelessly wrong.

Weak in the HP department?..yeah, but very easily fixed and they make good torque in any form...especially the 400.

Oiling issues? - Definitely. What was fixed on the 385 series engines (429/460) was the indirect oiling of the crank in the 351m/400, with the supply pressure droping off over time as the main, and particularly cam bearings wear. But not to worry..experieince has shown that if the needle bounces off 'zero' once in a whil, they stil hold together for an awful long time..:thumbup

·
Registered
213 Posts
yup... it's a ploy to get people to go for a heep...

Like it's been stated before yes the 351M/400 is a little weak on the HP side of the house, but there are aftermarkets you can buy to fix that. Some can be harder to find then others, but it's a very reliable engine. I'm sitting at 170K on mine and it's still good to go. The only thing I've swapped on it was the carb and the starter... carb was swapped just to get a few more HP out of it.

Now some people have said that the 351Ms have a tendency to leak oil, mine did on and off for the last 3 years, but for the most part it doesn't. I think it sometimes does just to remind me to change the oil or seals... :histerica

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
My 351M had 170,000 before I pulled it to rebuild it. My uncles had 250,000 plus on his before he went to a big block. I wouldn't worry about the rumors.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
The 351m/400 has a tendency to lose oil pressure if they are beaten and/or not maintained. I had one that showed 0 oil pressure when warm, but I drove it like that for two years. :toothless
After filling my crankcase with water/mud/sand 3 times I had at most 1 psi of oil pressure warm at idle. Ran like a champ, though. Well, until I filled it up again. Then it sounded like a diesel.

·
Premium Member
12,535 Posts
Befallen_Soul87 said:
I am currently looking into an fsb. It's a 79. I have one question. I've been told to shy away from that year of fords because they have motor problems.
Don't believe everything you hear. The guy that told you that does not have a clue. 78-79 was by far the best year Ford ever produced a truck/Bronco in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am a student machinist, and the parts store where I am currently employed lets me do some occasional work in their engine machine shop.

This summer Potamus and I put a remanufactured 351M into his BKO and left the old one with the shop (my employer) as the core.

When I got to work in the shop for the first time guess what my first project was.

I tore apart that engine and found some interesting things, (mileage on engine is unknown)
-The camshaft was completely worn out, every lobe was convex, most were worn down to where the CI was porous again.
-Main bearings all had deep scars in them from something that took a guided tour of the oil passages
-Crankshaft has no scars
-rod bearings only showed normal wear and tear
-several of the pistons had holes burning into them from carbon deposits
-every exhaust valve had deep pits and wear along the sealing surface
-many intake valves had old pieces of dead insects fused to the carbon buildup
-many pieces of the camshaft bearings were missing, which explains why Potamus found lead in the oil pan once

Before we traded it in as the core, this engine burned some oil, had low oil pressure, and pinged under high load...

But it started every time, took Potamus from KC to San Diego, around SD for a year, then back here to Iowa.

The engine builder is amazed that this engine ran at all.

I would say that the 351M/400 is almost as reliable as the 2.3 Lima

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Befallen_Soul87 said:
I am currently looking into an fsb. It's a 79. I have one question. I've been told to shy away from that year of fords because they have motor problems.
Question?

What 27 yr old engine doesnt have some problem without a rebuild?

They have no more problems than any other engine at that age, and less than many.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts