Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fellow who asked about what engine to use received some good answers. I have my own question along the same line.

I have a 79 \300-6,\ C6, \ 35” \ with stock gears

I am doing a complete frame off restoration and have a 400 on propane that I was going to use, I am aware of the bell housing not matching to my C6.

I am seriously considering using a 351W instead of the 400 keeping in mind this would be a stock motor.

I have not found much in regards to 351w in the 78 \79 bronco’s and not sure if I would run into any problems.

What motor would you go with?

Thanks

79Broncojoe

·
Registered
767 Posts
Do a search.

There is an older thread in the 78-79 section. Someone put a 302 in a 78-79 and has more recently installed a 351W Lightning motor in it. I think the last post in it was a few weeks or maybe a month ago.

·
aka: kemicalburns
8,170 Posts
stick with the 300 and install an np435 or zf 5 speed behind it. I dont see any reason to move to a bigger motor. What you need is to regear badly to compensate for the larger tires. even with a v8 and those tires on stock gears is going to suck. if you go with a zf 5speed i would install 4.88's

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't sure if going with a V8 would compensate the gear ratio. I also have a 4-speed that once mated to the 300 but back then I was doing a lot of rock climbing and found the C6 to be a better choice.

I like the 300 but I plan on using the Bronco for more road use which would require H\P and since I am going propane, I don't mind going to a V8, just not sure what motor to use.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not having any luck!

Thanks for the reply

Not having any luck finding this post, could you give me some direction?

stick with the 300 and install an np435 or zf 5 speed behind it. I dont see any reason to move to a bigger motor. What you need is to regear badly to compensate for the larger tires. even with a v8 and those tires on stock gears is going to suck. if you go with a zf 5speed i would install 4.88's
Do a search.

There is an older thread in the 78-79 section. Someone put a 302 in a 78-79 and has more recently installed a 351W Lightning motor in it. I think the last post in it was a few weeks or maybe a month ago.

·
aka: kemicalburns
8,170 Posts
you gotta regear before doing anything in my oppinion. even with propane your mpg will suck on stock gears and 35's. if your making this bronco a driver then look at the zf 5speed and stay with the 300. the zf is just like the old np435 with the granny low first but then also has the over drive gear to kepe the revs down on the hwy. would be a great combo and get the better mpg of the bunch. Propane maybe cheaper but it doesnt get better mpg then fuel would in the same motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.