Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
herky jerky steering left to right ok when im driving like 50+ it seems to smooth out but when im driving 25-35 it seems like it wants to oversteer..

im thinking i need to get a steering box and rebuild it.. i have one that came with the bronco .. it almost feels like the steering is toe'd in alot and gets squirly at slow speeds.

i dont know about ford steering shafts but on my old dodge ramcharger most of the slop steering came from the steering shaft , so i purchased a borgson steering shaft and it helped alot..

any info would help
this is on a 87 ford bronco 302 fi aod i believe.. the tires are 31x10.5 so i dont think thats the issue ause i had the same size on my ramcharger..

thanks for your time and patients
butch

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
broncos&bombs said:
when was the last time it got aligned?

i have no clue i just picked it up last night. so im trying to work some bugs out of it.. ill have to take a look at it in the sunlight ill measure it inside to outside front and back plus u can usually see it if u line the front to the rear tire and look down the sides

·
Registered
153 Posts
you might try adjusting any slack out of the box. on top of the box there will be a nut around a screw. Loosen the nut and turn the screw in. This will drop the sector shaft deeper into the other gear. tighten the nut back up. this may cause the box to be to tight while turned to either side. If your radius arm bushings are bad enough it could change your caster angle and cause wandering and self centering.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh ill have to get under it tomorrow if it ever stops raining or windy as hell... ive been waiting three weekends now cause its dark by the time i get home from work to put my fiberglasss hood on my mustang and start work on installing my new tubular k-member... i wished i had a garage my wife would hate it cause id be in there all damn night but id love it lol

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
take it down to the tire shop and have the tires balanced on a machine that applies road force. my dodge caravan i just bought did the same thing at about the same speeds. turns out it had two bad tires.

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
shake the shit out of the tires. top and bottom then left to right. if there is any play you found your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts