Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With permission a complete re wrte on post #1

As a member of NWKA (northwestkayakanglers.com) I volunteered for the Portland chapter of Heroes On the Water (HOW) and decided to get the North Oregon Coast chapter up and running.

HOW is a non profit started in Texas in 2007 by Jim Dolan. We take active military, veterans, and first responders (volunteer or full duty) kayak fishing once a month for free. They show up at location with a valid fishing license (if they plan to fish) and we provide everything else boats, pfd, neoprene waders, bait and tackle, rods and reels, snacks and drinks in the AM, lunch, and volunteers to help on and off the water ... fish not guaranteed!!
All the local chapters are 100% volunteers and 100% funded by local donations. Or chapter has 8 kayaks with all the gear, the majority donated by the Siletz Confederate Indian Tribe with a grant of over $6000.
For those of you in the Oregon coast area start here

Portland Metro area here

For those interested in participating in other areas search for a chapter near you here

If you don’t have a chapter near you but kayak fish and have some friends willing to help get one going or want to donate start here

Click on the menu bars and then participate.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,537 Posts
Okay by me.

I havent had my yak out in too long. I'll never forget being in it on the mighty Mississippi (lol in Minnesota) catching Northerns.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With permission I rewrote the first post. Enjoy

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,220 Posts
Always fun to see the ways groups try to say thanks. I get invites to charities that provide free video games, food, transport, hiking, etc. It seems like something more useful to my mental wellbeing than a discount on my next oil change or lumber at Lowes.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,217 Posts
Super cool @MojoJojo

We have a non-profit here in Central Oregon doing a similiar thing called Warfighter Outfitters

I love to see the support out there for our Veterans!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some work on the 8 kayak rack that’s on our repurposed catamaran trailer we picked up. It was attached via ubolts to the cross bars that are 1 inch square, as a result the rack swayed a little flexing the whole deck. So we modified it with 1 1/2 square tube out to the outside trailer rails.
D054EF3E-6278-474F-993E-BC73B214DC23.jpeg
C5A1A0E0-248D-436F-93B2-F1402AF6AFDF.jpeg

And then painted it at the body shop my kid works at in Forest Grove
F626B1BB-4F36-4746-908C-10A961B6D625.jpeg

And then
AD490D88-3E1B-4A2C-B3F4-A0D9C13070B7.jpeg
0EFF7643-2A76-44D9-ACE8-3B44CF12E716.jpeg

got it all bolted back on.
We had a co-chapter event planned at Lost Lake in Clatsop county (coast range lake) but with all the closures of things going around the chapter coordinators and national decided it would be best to cancel. Hopefully this all blows over before our May outing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts