Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try one more time before I give up, maybe some of the newer blood on the board have seen this problem.

It feels like my truck "runs out of gas" at/around 60mph. Before I had it re-geared it would happen @ 70-80mph. I have pulled codes and got a no problem code. I went ahead and changed the TPS for the heck of it(to no avail.) I have looked for something obvious but have not seen anything.

Does anyone have any ideas which direction to look.

I seem to have problems with my truck that no one else experiences. :shrug Between this and my ABS, sheesh.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It could be your pickup coil.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Had the same thing happen in my Mom's (dare I say) chevy. Replaced the pick up coil and plug wires and no more problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
you try disable your EGR system and going for a test drive?

When my truck did something very similar it ended up being the EGR. Big hole in the hose right under the valve, actually.

Walt Breymier

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I was not able to check the board untill this morning.

EGR..ummm- I like it. I had pondered the idea but don't know that much on how it works. To disable it would I just disconnect a wiring harness?

I have replaced sparkplug wires but not the coil.

Clogged cats-that would suck- but I'll check.

I had also wondered about the fuel pump. The fuel filter has been changed. No it is only at high speeds. In O/D at around 60mph-2300(or so)rpm. If I have it in 1st and in 4low my rpms are higher than that and no there is no hesitation.

Thanks again. I will check and let you know what I find.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
After I replaced my engine it idled fine but sputtered as the RPM's went up. I just unplugged the EGR valve and run without it...it runs fine now. :shrug

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it does not look like the EGR fixed it. I guess I will try the other solutions. Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is going to sound like a dumb question but when you mention the pick up coil is that the ignition coil?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
juggernaut89 said:
sounds to me like a fuel pump?? what are th rpms at when it happens? does it do it at the same RPMs at a lower speed?
have you tried changing the fuel filter?
:stupid
I'm with juggernaut, sounds like the fuel pump.

And yeah p/u coil and ignition coil they are referring to the same part.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I changed the coil, cap button and reset the 'puter. I thought I had it fixed then it started back up. It seems slightly better than it was. Still seems weird that its only at high speeds, not just rpm but actuall speed. I'll keep looking/trying. Thanks.

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
My bronco had the exact same problem, It would act like its out of gas but it wasnt. Just died. Try putting on a new fuel pump and see if that helps. Sure did help ours, aint had a problem since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts