Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead My new 91 Ford Bronco 302 Custom has a problem accelerating and it knocks under the drivers side. It seems like it almost isn't getting fuel and the knocking seems to be an internal backfire. I have cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors, replaced the MAP sensor, replaced the fuel filter, and had a trans service, but to no avail! Please Help me - nobody can figure out what is wrong. Also, the exhaust is stuffed right into the cat conv and there is no muffler - is this going to be a problem. Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
FunkyPuppy

·
Registered
315 Posts
i know this sounds obvious...

but change the oil and lubricants, grease all your chasis nipples, clean/change fliters, do plugs wires rotor, flush the coolent system, check your sensors( like the o2 censor for example) for corrosion or damage, check ujoints, i miss anything?

l;ike gearat said: 1) do a tune up on the bronco

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update - I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs, got a trans service, changed the MAP sensor, and cleaned the fuel injectors and throttle body and still NOTHING!!!!! None of this has made the problem go away and now, in addition to hesitating and knocking, it idles funny and shuts off at red lights and stops. HELP!:shocked

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I think the next step should be looking for vacuum leaks.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
:lolup :wacko

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't seem to get it fixed. I had a new distributer put in it today and it ran great untill it got hot and then the hesitation and knocking returned. I have been told it could be my 2 cats, my fuel pump, or even my throttle body thingamagig. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Did you pull the codes from the computer? If you did not then do that. If you dont know how here are the directions.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/selftest.html

I hope Fireguy50 dosent get mad about me advertizing his website.:toothless

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a new distributer put in it today and it ran great untill it got hot and then the hesitation and knocking returned.
This sounds like your over heating. Check your cooling system, hows your temp gauge when this happens?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes my temp gauge stays on Cold even whrn I have been driving it all day. The other day, the car wouldn't start back up - I just drove it for 45 min and then stopped to get some lunch and it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel. I got pissed and kicked my catalytic conv. and it cranked although it smelled pretty bed -By the way - thanks to everyone responding and trying to help me out - I really appreciate it!:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
As for the hestitation, thats normal if you took your muffler off, you lose low end torque but high end rises. The shutting off could be your EGR. Last but not least, if the knocking is in your engine you could have carbon build up and should get it cleaned(you could even try changing your oil and using those engine cleaners:shrug) , if its not then it could be a bushing. All of those appled to me at one point in my 6 months of owning my rig so check them out.:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
funkypuppy said:
:banghead My new 91 Ford Bronco 302 Custom has a problem accelerating and it knocks under the drivers side. It seems like it almost isn't getting fuel and the knocking seems to be an internal backfire. I have cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors, replaced the MAP sensor, replaced the fuel filter, and had a trans service, but to no avail! Please Help me - nobody can figure out what is wrong. Also, the exhaust is stuffed right into the cat conv and there is no muffler - is this going to be a problem. Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
FunkyPuppy
All that work and you still haven't checked the EFI trouble codes or fuel pressure.
If you want help follow directions! :mad: :twak
Don't replace the parts like a fool! Diagnosis the problem, take it to a profesional that can fix it, or drive it off a cliff. :D

Gacknar said:
Did you pull the codes from the computer? If you did not then do that. If you dont know how here are the directions:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/selftest.html

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
did you just get the bronco or has it been sitting for awhile because you could have bad gas and that could the bronco to run like hell. Also if runs fine while it cold and gets worst as it gets hot then I would bet money it was your cats. Go back there while it is running to see if you feel how much is coming out. But i am pretty sure those are the problems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts