Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95 w/ a 302 and highway gears (i don't know what yet but i hit about 2k @75mph). i have done the usual parts upgrades (msd, k&n, bassani) and seen more power but have taken a bit of a step back when i went from stock (29's ?) to bfg 31's.

anyways, she has always shifted to soon going up the onramps causing her to bog a bit going into 3rd prematurely. i notice better success manually shifting and winding out the gears a little.

my problem is that while in 2nd, and around 30-40mph, she stumbles a little bit- kind of like a mild hesitation. it almost feels like when you start to run out of gas, but much milder. my fuel pump whines pretty friggin' loud all the time and it has about 75k on it. also no idea on fuel filter age. i haven't looked yet, how easy to replace both?

i gave her a tune up last fall and have been tracking my mileage and haven't seen any significant changes so i think that we are all right there.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The fuel filter should be replaced every 10,000 miles or once a year(I would get that done ASAP if I was you)....that could be part of the problem, but also when you went with the bigger tires, you changed to overall gearing. Chances are you have 3.55:1 in there right now.....you could get way better "off the line" performance by just regearing....but it aint cheep to do that.
If I was you I would make dam sure I know what tire size I plan on staying with for the duration, and re-gearing for that size....you could also recalibrate the PSOM so the MPH is not off. This can be done right on the truck while your sitting in the drivers seat with no tools needed.....just search out the correct procedure here...its been talked about many times.
While your getting new gears installed.....you may as well install some sort of locker.....and remember you need to do this on both the front and rear diff's.
Just search and read up on your options.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
He may even have 3.08 gears, it's what I have, and while mine is still quick, you can definitely tell that it's having a hell of a time turning 31's with those real high gears.

I can just barely light my tires up as is, I'd be scared to see what would happen with 3.73's or 4.10's. I know my old motor still has some balls behind all that caked on mud, but my gearing is what's killing my performance.

Only reason I say that is because [email protected] 75mph sounds about exactly the same as mine.

I'd replace the fuel filter, just for grins because it probably hasn't been done in a while and its real cheap... fairly easy, you just need the little tools to do it with. The filter I bought came with two little cheesy tools, but they didnt work worth a shit, so I used my dad's set that he had bought back in the day... they were 15 bucks I think.

My truck has a similar situation as yours, as when its in 3rd and doing about 30-40, and you push down hard enough that it doesnt shift, it seems to sputter a little bit. I think it's just a side effect of the load the engine is trying to push, with my gearing it's definitely not easy for it, and I'm definitely out of the power range for my engine for my tires/gears.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have 3.08's with 35's! Can't wait to stop breaking shit so I can get my 4.88's in there!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
3.08's with 35's?

Ouch, and I thought I had bad acceleration.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
3.08's with 35's?

Ouch, and I thought I had bad acceleration.
Yeah, but I do almost all highway driving, so it's really not that bad. But I sure as hell can't peel out worth a damn!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I noticed my 351 engine doing the same thing as soon as I took the Tornado out of my K&N FIPK. I've noticed that if I just lean on it a little bit more at that range so it goes up to about 2.5k to accelerate to about 42 mph then lean off it will shift up. I need to change the oil on it anyways, so I figure that should help it a bit also.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I hope you don't think that tornado does anything aside from choke air off to your engine. :twak

And yeah, 3.55's with 40's, damn. Just damn. I know a guy who has a gutted old small ford car, that he put a 10hp briggs and stratton in with a centrifugal clutch, and a chain to shaft converter, and he could probably outrun you :goodfinge

1 - 10 of 10 Posts