Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What or where is the best place to look for cheap(er) 8 lug rims? Tried to search 8 lug rims, eight lug rims, 1 ton rims, one ton rims....nothing was very helpful :doh0715: the #1/one,8/eight is never used in the actual search for some freakin reason
About to start this 10.25 swap and I don't think the 36x13.5x15 iroks are gonna like the stock Ford 8 lug rim much...what are they, 7" wide or so?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, wait a sec....the rims on the 10.25 rear are 16" anyway:banghead:banghead:banghead I'm gonna have to get new tires too:doh0715: I was gonna get 2 new tires now it'll have to be all 4. Man, it is very ture...one thing turns right into another.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've got three 15" black steel 8-lug rims I'll sell you. They're in really good condition. Lots of guys opt to run 15" rims on their 8 lug axles. I know they'll fit over a 10.25, because I had them on mine for a short while.

·
Registered
904 Posts
worst case scenario, instead of buying new tires just disc brake the sterling, much cheaper and it actually gets you something for your money.

im no too sure about 15" rims on those drum brake setups, those mothers are huge.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
I've got 15" 8-lug rims on mine. Got them custom made through Discount Tire with 2" backspacing to clear the dual-piston calipers up front.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I've got 15" 8-lug rims on mine. Got them custom made through Discount Tire with 2" backspacing to clear the dual-piston calipers up front.
how much did those run ya john? if you don't mind me askin...

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
worst case scenario, instead of buying new tires just disc brake the sterling, much cheaper and it actually gets you something for your money.

im no too sure about 15" rims on those drum brake setups, those mothers are huge.
15" rims w/ 4.125" back spacing definitely fit over a Sterling 10.25 drum. I had them on mine for a few weeks before I sold the tires.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

But doesn't the front need to be 16" to clear the front calipers? Or not for the dana 44 5 lug set up? I was figuring that I would have to change all that over to 8 lug as well...and have to have everything knuckels out,....thus have the larger rotors and larger calipers. Is my thought process correct? I do at some point plan to go the disc brake route on the 10.25 When funds allow of course

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
But doesn't the front need to be 16" to clear the front calipers? Or not for the dana 44 5 lug set up? I was figuring that I would have to change all that over to 8 lug as well...and have to have everything knuckels out,....thus have the larger rotors and larger calipers. Is my thought process correct? I do at some point plan to go the disc brake route on the 10.25 When funds allow of course
Well, technically you didn't ask about the front, you asked about a 10.25. You can use a 15" wheel on the front, but it's not an easy thing. Generally it involves some grinding on the brake calipers to make them fit. Sound like a bad idea? It's a subject of some debate. Some people say they would never do that, others have done it and swear that it's not a problem. The less backspacing the wheels have the less material you'll have to remove from the calipers to make them fit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take some tme and think about it - I went with 17" rims as I like the tire choices, tire prices and it ensures you will have no caliper issues....

If you want to go rear disc use these - these calipers have an e-brake

The calipers are off of a 1985 Cadillac El Dorado (rear, of course)
The disc’s are from a 1979 1-ton ford front “non Dully”

you can also go to the TMS web site for other info on a swap to rear disc

you can see my setup under "Woodydog's D60 SAS - underway
to find it just to a "search this fourm" fo "woodydog" and it will come up

have fun

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, technically you didn't ask about the front, you asked about a 10.25.
Yea, I know....but I'm doing both and they both have to be the same and I was basing everything off of the fact that beings the 10.25 is 8 lug and trying to make everything match, partswise...can't have 8 in the back and 5 in the front:twak I just figured that they both just kinda go hand in hand. Didn't mean to confuse anyone:shocked

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Well, technically you didn't ask about the front, you asked about a 10.25. You can use a 15" wheel on the front, but it's not an easy thing. Generally it involves some grinding on the brake calipers to make them fit. Sound like a bad idea? It's a subject of some debate. Some people say they would never do that, others have done it and swear that it's not a problem. The less backspacing the wheels have the less material you'll have to remove from the calipers to make them fit.

yes. back to Johnski as an example, since he has the Ford dual piston calipers up front he runs only 2" BS on his rims, so that means the tires will stick out more than stock...for him likely about 2" more per side (assuming 8" wheel with factory backspacing around 4").

The path I chose was Chevy outers, including single piston caliper ground down some on the top/inner part of the caliper. Had to do this for the front and rear since I run the same caliper/rotor at all 4 corners. As long as you know what you're doing here it's not a big deal. It rightly concerns folks since you are messing with part of the braking system, so you better be careful with what you're doing. Even then I would not recommend this for those wheeling in lots of mud, there is just not enough clearance between the caliper and wheel, and when mud gets in there, it's just annoying when the caliper gets abused by selfcleaning the wheel the whole rest of the day. However, flip side my wheels run stock backspacing, so no sticking out, which is also likely more healthy for wheelbearings/hubs/balljoints.

It's also a dilemma for me since I've been talking to GKR recently about his caddy calipers/ebrake. I want to finally do this, but it means a little grinding again. And Greg, like everyone else it seems like that tries these, found these calipers to be a bit hit-n-miss at first....first one leak like crazy, replaced it, next one was ok, then started leaking one day, replaced it, and he finally has had no issues. Not sure how that would fly with me grinding calipers unless the parts monkey counter folks were clueless when i returned a leaker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts