Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Deaver lists different numbers at the '96/'97 break, so it's likely there are differences. Other manufacturers break the numbers there also.

I'll keep looking for some 2wd springs to try out. I haven't found an active F150 forum with Cali members yet. Anyone know of anything?

At some point I'm going to have to ante up and order some custom springs since I'm being stubborn about ride-height. I have quotes from Deaver and Atlas so far, but really want to try out some stock F150 2WD springs before I make the order. Yes, I have OCD :histerica

·
Registered
383 Posts
The 97-03 springs are about 2" longer and will have a little more travel.
I am using them on my Bronco but I had to remount both spring hangers.

PS. You can adjust the ride height to some degree by replacing the shackles if you find a screamin' deal on a pair of springs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good info, thanks gunit!

Moving the front hanger is more work than I need to do for my goal...the body mount is right there also, so a full custom front hanger is required to center the axle, right?

I have no problem moving the rear hanger as I want to flip it anyway, but sounds like the axle will be way rear-of-center if using '97+ leaf and stock front location.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good info, thanks gunit!

Moving the front hanger is more work than I need to do for my goal...the body mount is right there also, so a full custom front hanger is required to center the axle, right?

I have no problem moving the rear hanger as I want to flip it anyway, but sounds like the axle will be way rear-of-center if using '97+ leaf and stock front location.
Here is a pic of the relocated front mount, it was really not too big of a deal. I used 2wd spring so I used F150 spring hangers when I relocated the mounts. We located the hanger down a little to allow for a little additional bump travel.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jess, this sounds like what you have been wanting, and it's a smokin deal even with shipping. I think you're going to have to face facts, getting your suspension done isn't going to be easy, you're going to have to do some work.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Jess, this sounds like what you have been wanting, and it's a smokin deal even with shipping. I think you're going to have to face facts, getting your suspension done isn't going to be easy, you're going to have to do some work.
Yes- it is a good deal, and I'm not at all opposed to doing the work...but if '80-'96 springs (F53) will bolt right in (with a little shackle rework) and ride plush, that's the route I'm looking for.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Gunit (or anyone else),

Do F150 shackles fit in Bronco rear hangers?
I replaced the hangers with F150 peices. But you dont have to if you don't want to. The Bronco springs are 3" instead of 2.5" , a heavy duty washer or two on each side of the shackle eye will work fine. You will have to get the F150 shackles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I need new shackle bushings anyway, so I should have asked if I buy F150 2wd shackles, will they work in the Bronco hanger...I know the spring side is narrower, but is the hanger side the same as the Bronco?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I need new shackle bushings anyway, so I should have asked if I buy F150 2wd shackles, will they work in the Bronco hanger...I know the spring side is narrower, but is the hanger side the same as the Bronco?
Jess, Unless you replace the hanger and the shackle, you will need to space one end or the other. I would just use 1/4" spacers on either side of the spring, replace the hanger bushing with a Delrin unit and stick with the shackle you have. That's basically my plan. The only difference being the spacers will also be part of a gusset that's welded in. Follow?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Follow.

So the 2wd shackle is narrower at both mounting points.

The sleeved/nonsleeved bushing issue seemingly makes it easier to purchase new shackles. Unless you have a solid way of telling which bushings are required the Bronco shackle?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the ¼" spacers and shackle bushings on order. The shackles on my truck have the molded in bushings - no sleeves. I went with Energy part #4.2144

·
Registered
562 Posts
Here's a Deaver F53 next to a stock Bronco spring (overload removed):

Deaver advertises them as +3.5" for the F150. They come in right about +3" on the Bronco. The front eye sleeve won't fit the Bronco bolt. It's set up for ½", the Bronco is 5/8".

I got the shackle bushings burnt out and replaced with poly:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts