Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm lookin into buyin a 1980 full size bronco, it appears to be in really great shape but i haven't heard it run or anything and only got to check it out at nite, i'm pretty sure it has the 302 in it, it def. does not have the straight 6, and i wasn't sure if any other engine was offered in it... anyway, its an auto and 4 wheel drive, is there anything in particular i should be on the look for when i go to give a better inspection, mechanically and cosmetically... any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, james...

oh, and the guy is only asking 1900, but the truck is CHERRY, repainted and in great condition from what i can see, just wondering what you guy's thought about that...

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
It would either have a 302 or a 351 if its not a staight six. Was the six offered in 80?

Ummm, Other then the usual things, Check the wheel wells for rust, Check the bottom of the tailgate. Check that lighting works, Expeciall head and tail-lights. Signals as well. This may save you from a major wiring problem done the road. Drive it, Make sure the tranny shifts nice and smooth, and has no problems.

Other then that, For 1900 it sounds like a nice truck.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,699 Posts
Snap some pics in the daylight so we can take a look, but other than that it sounds like a pretty good buy. Make sure the 4 wheel drive engages, that's always important, and like Drilim said, check those areas for rust. A 23 year old Bronco is bound to have needed some rust repair. Oh, and welcome to the site.:beer

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks for the help and the warm welcome, i'm gonna be going and checking it out in a few hrs and i will snap some pics of it, i don't know the specific years that bronco's had the straight six but i knew some of them had it, but this one doesn't, thanks for the headsup on the electrical stuff, and i'll be sure to shift it into 4 and make sure its all nice and smooth...

once again, thanks :beer

·
Registered
122 Posts
in 1980 the ford bronco did not come with a 6 banger. a 302, 351m or 351w or a 460. mine has a 351w. better in my opinion than the 302 but hell for 1900 sounds like a good deal. i got mine for 2500 in almost perfect condition perfect interior and no rust, original paint. 49,000 miles. plus is has all but two of the available options for the xlt model. and it has the tire on the inside, and a nifty looking thing over the outside of the tailgate. just look for the great deals. if you can post some pics i can better delegate if it is a good deal. if you feel it is a good deal

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
if you can, jack the front suspension up and check for slop in the ball joints and steering or anywhere else.
check the u joints on both drive shafts.
if the hubs are manual, crawl under and check to see that they lock properly.
try to check the brakes.
keep your eye open for serious rust on the frame.
check to see how the engine drives, ie is it sluggish, sputters, blue clouds, black clouds etc.....

most importantly, good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i ended up buying it, there was A LOT of interest and i'm tired of passing up good deals, it has the 351W, 4x4 shifts fine, hubs lock fine, tires are worn but not TERRIBLE, but will need to be replaced at some point, its a really clean truck tho, and the odo reads 73K, dont know if it rolled over or what but thats what it reads, all the lights work, interior and exterior, here are a couple pics i snapped at the dudes house, i'll get some better ones soon, and it won't be the same color, if ya know what i mean :p...

G

·
welcome jhew (is that considered jew?!) thats a nice find, i think the sticker needs to go though :thumbup other than that, i wish i was in lansing and bought that instead of MY piece!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, ok, explaing my SN, my first name is james, last name is hewson, when i was signing up for AIM a LONG time ago i did the 3 keywords thing and typed in my 1st and last name and the year i was born (1984), and that was the 1st thing that popped up, and its kinda stuck with me ever since lol, NO i'm not jewish :D...

anyway, the truck wasn't in lansing, it was in jackson, my buddy dave saw it on his way back from visiting his mom in the hospital, we went back and checked it out that nite, and then i bought it the next day (today), i've wanted a full size for awhile now, and this one is about as nice as i'm gonna get inside my price range... oh, and the sticker stays :D, but it may get replaced in the future with the chick straddling the ford oval haha :thumbup... hopefully i will see some of you guy's around at the gatherings, drop me a PM anytime you may want to get together and just shoot the shit about bronco's, i'm not ignorant, but i don't know the in's and out's by a long shot and i'm ready to learn :)... oh, and thanks for the warm welcome, i can already tell i'm gonna enjoy these forums :beer

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,920 Posts
bronco looks sweet and that was a good deal, get in touch with dsotmoon and hook your ride up with a couple FSB stickers and the look will be complete:thumbup

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, glad to hear some ppl who know what their talkin about tell me i got a good deal lol, i like it, and its gonna be a lot of fun, i'll get some better pictures of it up here soon, oh, and i PM'd dsotmoon for some FSB sticker's, they'll have to replace the "fear this", harley davidson, and the rememberance of dale earnhardt sticker's, i want bumpkin but not THAT bumpkin lol... oh, and i will be replacing that tint, but im just gonna go to meijers and pick up some do it yourself tint...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the valve cover's look different on that engine, and the guy said it was a 351W, but i wouldn't be able to tell you either way, i can snap some more pictures of it tomorow tho... and it set me back 1900, more than i initially wanted to spend on a bogger but i'd rather have something that is presentable so i spent the extra lil bit...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts