Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice to meet you. I'm from Fayetteville Georgia, and I own a 1988 Ford Bronco. I've had oil leak issues with it since I bought it three years ago. It's currently undergoing an engine rebuild due to it's age, has about 250,000~ miles on it, and I got worried when the manifolds just cracked in half one day. After replacement it's transmission started to slip more and more as I tried to accelerate.
I'm hoping that I can get some good advice about this particular truck, it's a 1988 XLT 302 with EFI on a c-6 with a Borg Warner 1356 or 1345 transfer case. My transfer case doesn't have a tailshaft housing for the rear driveshaft so I cant decide. It just uses yokes at both ends I think. I'll check in the morning and edit my post.
I've often thought about power upgrades and the only thing I've seen to allow major work like camming and increased displacement is to upgrade from speed density to mass airflow.
I have two engines to work with, one a pulled apart 302 which is the original. I'm rebuilding it currently as a project, as I have finished rebuilding the C-6 that came with the truck. I built another engine last year.... muhahaha...

I came across a neighbor who is a trucker and used to work at Merlin Muffler. He told me about an 88 roller block just like mine, so I bought it for $200. the extras were junk but the block was totally worth boring and stroking. Got an eagle/mahle rotating assembly from summit and worked things out with the machine shop. Ceased work after I came across financial trouble and couldn't find cheap enough cylinder heads for it. thinking of putting it in a foxbody one day. anyways it has a ford racing E303 cam with ford racing hydraulic roller lifters.

I'll attach pictures of my truck before the engine pull. Thinking of painting the top/lower edge black and getting a bully bar for the front end with a black gloss grille.

These are Before I changed the wheels(only after I've completed my alignment course and I found out wheel size can kill motors)

After installing new 32"x12.5" BF Goodriches and upgrading the muffler and tailpipe section. (edit: note the new oil spots. this is from upgrading the tire size without a suitable rear end rebuild and a 350k+ 302 that was still chuggin)

2x12" Alpine Type-R woofer powered by a JL Audio series 1 500w amplifier. I also upgraded all door and 6x8 speakers to Alpine Type-Rs. These are powered by a separate 200w Alpine amplifier.

I know I've made a few mistakes with my truck, but with a rebuild(advice driven) and corrected parts, I may be able to make it work properly and reliably. I can tell this is a good forum for owners of these trucks so I decided I better listen to people who have been there and know what to do when problems arise. :whiteflag anyways, I'll do my best to obtain information about the specifics of my truck. I hope anything I know about electronics or transmissions can be of use to someone else as well. Thanks for reading my blurb. :barf

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

Looks to be in tip top shape, great score Brother! :beer

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

Looks to be in tip top shape, great score Brother! :beer
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody, and she'll be in better shape once I get this engine rebuilt, as I said I've been pondering the cost of a sd to maf conversion. 93 mustang A9L computer maybe with wiring harness and new sensors? allows a 302 to cam and turn into a little pissed off peanut.

:beer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts