Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just given a Hi Lift jack look alike from Cummins tools. It is called a "farm jack". See http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,944.htm
I was playing with it. You flip a lever and as you "jack it" the jack goes up a notch at a time. Locking in place each time. To go down, you flip the leaver down. But here is the thing. It then drops down. Like a rock! It does not revers the jack so you can jack it down. I have looked this thing over. It looks like this is how it works... Anythoughts? It seems scary to me to just flip the switch and let her rip!:shocked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,227 Posts
Mine dont do that. however watch the base on it. Mine busted the first time I had to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
884lps said:
I was just given a Hi Lift jack look alike from Cummins tools. It is called a "farm jack". See http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,944.htm
I was playing with it. You flip a lever and as you "jack it" the jack goes up a notch at a time. Locking in place each time. To go down, you flip the leaver down. But here is the thing. It then drops down. Like a rock! It does not revers the jack so you can jack it down. I have looked this thing over. It looks like this is how it works... Anythoughts? It seems scary to me to just flip the switch and let her rip!:shocked
Put tension on the handle when flipping the lever, jack it up (you can try it with out the truck) handle goes down and up until you at the hight you want then pull the handle down like you want to go up again but not all the way the second pin engages then flip the lever and jack it down. It's a little scary at first but you'll get the feel of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
My Hi-Lift does the same thing. when there is no wieght on the jack it just drops but under load it works fine.Have you tried it with wieght on it?
 

·
Designated Tranny Killer
Joined
·
6,960 Posts
:stupid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Torvald said:
Put tension on the handle when flipping the lever, jack it up (you can try it with out the truck) handle goes down and up until you at the hight you want then pull the handle down like you want to go up again but not all the way the second pin engages then flip the lever and jack it down. It's a little scary at first but you'll get the feel of it.
He's exactly right. And thats a pretty good price for a high lift look-a-like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never complained about the price! I have not realy tried it with a Load on it other then pushing on it. I'm sure I can find something to "jack up".. I think I'll try it on the empty trailer I have. And try it as recomended above. No instructions came with the thing. Thanks to all. I'll let you all know, and I,ll watch the base of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,893 Posts
Watch everything on that. If your hand slips off, with it holding a load ... those jack handles can kick your ass. but for a first test, only jack it two more notches, after catching whatever it is you're lifting. You want a load on it, but you don't want to make it dangerous, for the first time. Keep it clean, and keep it lubricated - I use white lithium grease, myself

I've got a 4 ft jack, that will drop, load or not. Scared the F outta me, the first time it happened. I've learned how to use it since then, but it also stays home. I take my 5 ft jack with me, everywhere else
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,116 Posts
davids78bronco said:
. If your hand slips off, with it holding a load ... those jack handles can kick your ass.
or bust your teeth out. Be carefull with that thing:shocked
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
81Bronk36 said:
or bust your teeth out. Be carefull with that thing:shocked
Jacks don't kill pepole, pepole kill themselfs, missing around with jacks...


I remember the cars from the 60, and 70's. Jacks were a square pole, slipped into a crappy base, and into a slot on the bumper. Half the time they sliped out. So, I know just how nasty they get, and as you go up, they get nastyer!

Well this was right
"Originally Posted by Torvald
Put tension on the handle when flipping the lever, jack it up (you can try it with out the truck) handle goes down and up until you at the hight you want then pull the handle down like you want to go up again but not all the way the second pin engages then flip the lever and jack it down. It's a little scary at first but you'll get the feel of it."

Put the thing on the back bumper. once the jack had wieght on it, it would jack up or down. When the wieght came of the jack with the lever in the down position, jack droped.

Am thinking of just keeping the spare floor jack and some 4x4's about 24" long in the truck instead. I can use the 4x4 as a built up base for the floor jack. Takes up a lot more room, but so much safer.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
884lps said:
I never complained about the price!
Hey bud I never said you did. I was just stating that you got a good price. I just bought one for like $60, and thats about half. That was all.
884lps said:
Am thinking of just keeping the spare floor jack and some 4x4's about 24" long in the truck instead. I can use the 4x4 as a built up base for the floor jack. Takes up a lot more room, but so much safer.....
So are you just going to give up on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
qcbronc said:
Hey bud I never said you did. I was just stating that you got a good price. I just bought one for like $60, and thats about half. That was all.
I apoigize to you sir, never took offence at what you siad, and did not mean it that way. :whiteflag I aplogize if it came out that way. If you are ever out this way I'll by you a drink.. And I'm not just saying that becouse the casino's have free booze :beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
884lps said:
Am thinking of just keeping the spare floor jack and some 4x4's about 24" long in the truck instead. I can use the 4x4 as a built up base for the floor jack. Takes up a lot more room, but so much safer.....
A saw-zal and my Hi-Lift jacks are the most usful and most dangerous tools I own. I would not part with them for the world.

Use what you feel most comfortable with but don't give up on the jack just yet. They take some gettin' use to but they can do things a floor jack could never dream of doing.
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
or bust your teeth out. Be carefull with that thing:shocked

don't forget sliced up face and black/bloody eye........oh the memories


And i would not leave home without my hi-lift though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The most dangerous tool I own is my table saw. I say that becouse my left hand had a fight with it. Believe it or not, the saw won!... But I still have that table saw, and still use it. Oh, I also still have my left hand and use that too.

Hard to beat a saz-all. Just need to remember they will saw-all....

For what I paid for the Jack, I'm sure I'll keep it. Even if I only use it once a year or two, I'm sure I'll be thanking god I had it when I needed it. And I'm sure I'll thank him for having it, when I go to use it, and pray I don't get nailed by the dam thing.

In this world lots of things are deadly. Hay, toilets kill more then one person every year!

Humans drown to death in five gallion buckets....

Soda vending machines are listed as the cuase of death in more then one loss of life...

And folks have run thenself over with thier own car/truck.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top