Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a HID kit for my 90 eddie bauer its a 6000k High and low... And the way they work is the Bulb its self move in and out? Anyways.... I installed the kit and got the wireing all under control and the high beam dosnt look right at all? Like low beam seams a little too high and high beam just kinda scatters out a little and dosnt go much higher? Im not sure what it is...

Thanks, Ryan

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
you have lenses not designed for HID's

its that simple.

i used to sell 200-300 kits a month, i know what im talkin about.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
i dont know if the kind i sold would help, but i know they did work for most housings, even if they wernt designed for "HID"

i dont know how moving the bulb would help......

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
The bulb moves closer and further out to get high and low beam. You're going to have a crappy scatter effect until you get new lenses.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think ill never even really need high beam with these but whatev....
Thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have the ddm tuning hi/lo 9004 5000k's in my 95 and they work great. The bulb moves in and out too, low beam's are focused and close, and high beams are spread out and far.

·
not banned
5,979 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just some info. Aftermarket HID kits are only part of a true HID headlight. The other part is the projector lens assembly. This is easily noticeable in a vehicle with factory HID vs a vehicle with aftermarket HID bulbs and ballast. The factory HID will have a sharp line present on the edges of the light. Pull up to a garage door and you will see a clear and defined line across the door. With a standard halogen housing (non OEM HID lights) you will not get the precise aim of the HID projector. This does not mean the HID kit does not work well in a halogen assembly it just does not work as well and is not a full HID system. Another thing is the HID bulbs are not dual filament like many halogen bulbs. That is the purpose for the bulb moving for low beam and high beam and it is called bi-xenon. Many of the factory HID lamps using a moving reflector that changes the high and low beam instead of moving the actual bulb.

Dexter for your situation based upon the age of your vehicle it very likely that your lenses are hazed and discolored. If that is the case it possible to polish the lens and that would make a huge difference on how the light is dispersed. This can be done a few different ways. You can do it yourself using fine sandpaper and working up to a very fine paper (600 to 3000 all wet) and then a polishing compound. You can contact a local head light restoration business or you can have the lights clear coated using a standard automotive clear coat after a good sanding. Those are all good options for the lamps you have now. Other option is to replace the lamps with new units.

Sometime in the next couple of months I will be replacing the OEM lamps in my Bronco with a true HID projector assembly along with bulbs and ballasts. Most likely I will use an OEM lamp from a newer vehicle and retrofit it to the Bronco. I have already done this several times on motorcycles.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
wasntime, make sure you post up your results.

I've been kicking around the same idea of retrofitting a projector assembly into my Bronco housings. I've seen a number of write ups on line, but not in a Bronco/F-150.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My lenses were all hazzed but i already wet sanded them with 1500 and 2000 grit and buffed them with buffing compound... There crystle clear now but the only problem im haveing is the high beam dosnt have a cutoff at the top like you were talking about... it just scatters the light out. Do they make Projector lense's for my headlight style?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Just some info. Aftermarket HID kits are only part of a true HID headlight. The other part is the projector lens assembly.
Really? thats funny, I swear lincoln mark 8's didnt have projectors, and they were the first US cars standard with HID's.....

S197 mustangs (05-09) didnt have projectors either

While I will agree that projectors offer a perfect cutoff line, not every factory standard HID kit came with projectors....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Really? thats funny, I swear lincoln mark 8's didnt have projectors, and they were the first US cars standard with HID's.....

While I will agree that projectors offer a perfect cutoff line, not every factory standard HID kit came with projectors....
Yep, and the cutoff on my wife's olds silhouette is sharp as heck with aftermarket HID's. there is even the little stepped line in the middle with a white/yellow/blue dot like on all the BMW's i've driven with HID's.

And yes, it has been discussed time and time again that not all factory hid's use projectors. There are plenty of ways for the OEM's to make a reflector in a housing do almost as well of a job distributing the light as projectors.

If the housing wasn't originally designed for HID's (projector housing or not) then there is a good chance that there will be "hot spots" if you use an HID bulb in the housing. These hot spots are there because non HID housings are designed for use with a filament bulb that puts the source of light in the same place every time. A HID bulb uses an arc to create light, which can not be reproduced in exactly the same place every time in every bulb. Because of this, the light source may be off a mm or two, causing the light to hit the reflector differently, therefor putting the light in a different spot in the housing than what is was designed for. This appears as "lines of light" on the side of the road, or the trees above you, and sometimes can blind oncoming traffic because of the dazzle effect.

All this being said, just aim the headlight correctly and buy a quality HID kit and you won't have a problem and you won't blind anyone any more than any car with factory HID's.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Funny...I do not recall saying every OEM HID system came with projector lamps. Also...since when did the factory ever get everything "right" on an automobile? If manufactures did it right at production there would be far less need for an aftermarket industry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts