Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got a loaner digital and started installing a subwoofer in the otherwide useless passenger's side cargo area wall recess (across from the pouch on the driver's side).

The idea is to cut the plastic recess out and recess further into the quarter and drop in a sheet metal insert for magnet clearance.

By using wood walls and MDF covers I intend to have this 10"er and two 8"ers(more mids) in the stock 6X8 areas completely flush.

Call me crazy but I can't abide a honkin' great sub box eating up my cargo space and announcing to world I want my glass broken and stereo stuff stolen.

Once the MDF top boards are on I intend to build speaker covers that are removeable just like home speaker covers. I already have stretchy speaker cloth the exact same colour as my interior to stretch and glue over them, once they're routered round.

With them flush and covered in stock coloured cloth punks, most of which are too young to know what's "Bronco stock" (no offence to older punks), should assume they're stock or not even notice them.

I'll post more pics tomorrow and you can follow the rest of the thread here;

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=4970&s=20711#content

Sixlitre
:chili:

·
Registered
893 Posts
that's awesome. that's been on my list for a long time. i'm sick of my speaker box taking up all my room in the back and like you said, it's an invite for thieves. i'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90bronconate said:
that's awesome. that's been on my list for a long time. i'm sick of my speaker box taking up all my room in the back and like you said, it's an invite for thieves. i'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. :thumbup
Thanks 90bronconate

Expensive it is not, just a little time consuming, but well worth it, I hope. Should have more pics tomorrow.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TRUCKY18 said:
thats perrdy, was that the sub you are gonna use?
For now. I have two of them, in stock, to blow up.

I made the insert so wide because I was down measuring MA Audio and Visonik 10"ers at the clearance center and they seem to have huge magnets, so I'll be ready for them when these blow up.

Still haven't bought the 8" mids yet. That red Visonik in the pics is just a 2 way 8" Visonik I had lying around for trying fit out on the mid range boxes behind the doors.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fireguy50 said:
Ryan

That'll probably sound a whole lot better

but I'm after theft deterant and not one square inch of cargo space lost, with the possible appearance of it looking stock.

I wanted to cut back to a single 10" woofer as I'm adding two 8" mid ranges to my system, which already has two 6 1/2" mid ranges in the doors and 4 tweeters overhead.

My two double amps can power and control 9 speakers, but not 10, so I've gotta go to one single 10" and hope it does the trick. Frankly I enjoy my mids better than the subs anyways. So, to me an extra pair of mids is worth sacrificing one 10" sub (IMO).

If this sounds poor, then I may go your route

Thanks

Sixlitre

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sixlitre said:
For now. I have two of them, in stock, to blow up.

I made the insert so wide because I was down measuring MA Audio and Visonik 10"ers at the clearance center and they seem to have huge magnets, so I'll be ready for them when these blow up.

Still haven't bought the 8" mids yet. That red Visonik in the pics is just a 2 way 8" Visonik I had lying around for trying fit out on the mid range boxes behind the doors.

Sixlitre

Im glad you planed ahead, cause that one in the pic looked kinda shady, keep up the good work on the install :thumbup

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,580 Posts
I was thinkin' a good/cheap plastic insert would be... a plastic bucket! Just cut off the bottom to the desired depth. :toothless
Hope it sounds 1/2 as good as it should look!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4xPepe` said:
I was thinkin' a good/cheap plastic insert would be... a plastic bucket! Just cut off the bottom to the desired depth. :toothless
Hope it sounds 1/2 as good as it should look!
Good thoughts on the bucket bottom or the foam inserts

I looked around the garage for buckets but none were just right on width and i was at a loss on how to "flange mount" them. As for the foam rubber inserts I was screwed on depth as they looked to be too deep, but they sure would be nice.

As it was I resigned myself to custom built to get the maximum depth I could get from the inner quarters to almost the outer quarter skins.

Here's what I got done yesterday;

Got MDF covers made, mounted to the plywood walls and cut out the holes for the rear 10" sub and 8" mid range (where the old 6X8s used to live).

The speakers fit with depth and width to spare and the MDF is flush with the fine corinthian vinyl walls. After butchering my spare grey wall I cut up my stocker as it all seemed to be fitting perfectly (so far) and I wanted dead accurate actual measurements before I cut the speaker holes.

Now I'm making the speaker cover frames out of more MDF which I'll router slightly rounded before I stretch the speaker cloth over them.

The cloth is the same colour as the stock vinyl and the covers shouldn't protrude into the rear passenger seat or cargo space whatsoever.

Whadda ya think so far ?

Sixlitre

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,580 Posts
so far... looks great!
With your creativity on making a strip of metal flange to frame a circle, I'll be you could have some up with some way to flange a bucket, but then again... your chosen method seems to be working great with materials you likely already had on hand. :rockon

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pleasing to the eyes but not the ears

Six, you're going to have to add a back to your MDF front. It your sub box isn't sealed, the sub simply won't put out good sound. Sub's are different from tweeters in this sense. The deep vibrating sound they produce comes more from the enclosure than the cone.

Good news is there is enough room to do this. Consider fiberglass for the best flexibility and to utilize the most space. You'll want to try to get the enclosure to the maximum size possible in that limited area.

Good Luck!

P.S. nice job on the mid-range enclosures! :thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DWNHLLR said:
Six, you're going to have to add a back to your MDF front. It your sub box isn't sealed, the sub simply won't put out good sound. Sub's are different from tweeters in this sense. The deep vibrating sound they produce comes more from the enclosure than the cone.

Good news is there is enough room to do this. Consider fiberglass for the best flexibility and to utilize the most space. You'll want to try to get the enclosure to the maximum size possible in that limited area.

Good Luck!

P.S. nice job on the mid-range enclosures! :thumbup
DWNHLLR

Thanks for the advice, I'm no expert on components I just knew the old way;

wasn't working at the very top of the bass volume range. It was fine at 6 or 7 but when it got up near "eleventy" all the other components were fine, but the woofers were shaking the crap out the sides, metal speaker braces and the ashtrays would work they're way out too.

One of my major priorities was flush or darn close to the vinyl sides at almost any cost, so even with that round pan for additional depth, it's at a premium. I kinda figured I couldn't leave the bare steel of the inner quarter that way.

I've got stock style sound deadening stick on tiles, like inside our doors which I'll start with on the metal as they're only 1/8" thick.

Then I've got some 3M sticking back 1/4 foam rubber that is covered in ribbed velour looking stuff. I'll line everything with that next;

After that I've got this cool multi-layer, multi-densiity fiberglass wafer board I was intending on stuffing in too. I'm using this and the velour stuff all along the inner quarters, behind the vinyl side panels to help that stock horse hair looking insulation.

You think this'll work in the mid range enclosures too ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
The reason I want more mid range speakers is they sound the best for the kind of rock I listen to IMO. I'm covered on tweeters and a lone 10" out back in the cargo area ought to cover a non-rapper like me. If it doesn't I'm told I can port that enclosure or move up to a more expensive, better quality 10". can't wait to get her back from the paint shop !

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Looking good, Six

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not much help

sorry I can't be too much more help. I'm not a professional either. However, I went to the top mobile audio visual shop in town and asked for just what you're looking for - a factory looking sub installed in that space. They explained how important it was to get enough space for the sub and how they would build a custom fiberglass enclosure specifically for a Rockford Fosgate 12" Punch XLC sub. I couldn't afford the install at the time so I just bought the sub with an appropriate MDF carpeted box with plans to re-install it later.

The troubles you're having is just what I would expect and unfortunately I don't believe that installing insulation for the vibration will help your sound quality any.

My only suggestion would be to go to a shop that does this type of install. It should cost you a lot less as you have already done most of the measuring, demo and made the MDF front that they can fiberglass the back to. In the end, I know what you're looking for is a non-ported sealed enclosure. Good luck!! Keep up those great ideas and installs!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
splah said:
I did something similar in the rear cargo area. You can take a look at my pics if it helps you any.

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=6540
Hey I like that a lot Splah!

How'd you secure the cover ? What is that cover made of ? It looks like well routered 2X12 is it ?

Your idea for the cover would buy me 2" more depth too ! What's the mirror like panel and did you port it ?

Can you send me some photos with the cover off ?

Thanks

Sixlitre

DWNHLLR

I'll let you know how it sounds. There's NO WAY I'd ever let stereo installers at my truck, not gonna happen. I was happy enough with the two woofers in the back, like the photo from 4 posts back.

We should ask Splah how his sounds at eleventy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts