Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys- new to the forum but I am sure that someone can help me out.

I need a sound system in my Bronco, but don't want it advertised that I have one when it is sitting at the lake, at Wal-Mart, etc. as during the summer the top will remain off. I also don't want a head unit with removable face (have broken numerous faceplates in back pocket)

Here is my idea for the controls (the ashtray can be closed to conceal any audio):
*Remove my stock radio and turn into a cubby as the Bronco I have does not have a center console (need a little storage).
*Install a 3.5mm plug in the ashtray lighter socket
*Install a volume knob in fabricated plate where actual ashtray is, as well as an on/off switch for the amp
*Speakers will be installed at stock locations utilizing security torx screws

That is as far as my knowledge carries me....

Is there a way to direct wire an amp with a volume control (not gain) and iPod input without having to have a head unit? The only thing I will listen to is my iPhone as I have SiriusXM and all of my iTunes library.

Maybe I drew a picture to help everyone understand what I am thinking. Any help, product suggestions, or recommendations would be appreciated in wiring this contraption up. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What if you were to run a headphone to RCA cable direct to the amp? volume control via iPhone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if you were to run a headphone to RCA cable direct to the amp? volume control via iPhone
Thanks for the reply russrad- i tried the 3.5mm to RCA cable direct to the amp but even with the iphone volume all the way up, couldn't hear the stereo over the engine (and I have stock exhaust). Any other ideas?

There's gotta be somebody out there that has a setup similar on a boat, RV, quad, etc.

I am sure there is something listed somewhere on the internet, I just have no idea what to even search for....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Run a cheap head unit with rca input and mount it in a lockable center console similar to this one.
They are designed for Jeeps since most of the time they have no tops either and come in a couple different colors and styles. If you search around you might be able to find one with room to mount either the amp inside or some speakers, or at least get a little more storage.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
I am sure there is something listed somewhere on the internet, I just have no idea what to even search for....
Have you considered one of the new head units out there, where your ipod goes inside the head unit? It doesnt have a cd tray, instead a door comes out that you out your ipod in, and then control from the faceplate. I know you didnt want to install a head unit, but you could put that inside the lockable console that daheepster posted, and no one would know theres a radio in there unless they unlocked/opened that door on the console.

Then do as other have, and hide your amp/subs behind the rear panels in the back corner of the truck.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Fusion makes a fantastic marine grade headunit. Instead of having a fold down face for a cd, its a fold down door for an ipod/phone to plug into. Not sure if the dimensions of the head will fit into the dash, but may be worth checking into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I am definitely going to utilize the rear panel area for amps.

The Custom that I have was a former gov vehicle, all it had was the old heavy cardboard panels. I used those as a template and cut some new panels out of polished aluminum sheeting.

I like the console idea but then again, I like the idea of not having one that way Ace (truck dog) can make his 1000 trips per hour between front-back-front-back.....If I can't come up with something, I will definately use the console idea, or a headliner storage module.

I will keep all up to date in this thread as to what I come up with.

BTW- that is the coolest hidden compartment I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
Thanks for the reply russrad- i tried the 3.5mm to RCA cable direct to the amp but even with the iphone volume all the way up, couldn't hear the stereo over the engine (and I have stock exhaust). Any other ideas?

There's gotta be somebody out there that has a setup similar on a boat, RV, quad, etc.

I am not sure if this will work or not but if you want to just use your phone maybe use a headphone amplifier so you can boast the voltage a bit to get a better signal and volume to the amp.

such as this place maybe the E5 or E6. have a 3.5 to 3.5 run into the headphone amp to boast it, then run a 3.5 to rca from one of the 3.5 out wire to the car amp. might work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I may have found something. What do you guys think about this?

This is kinda what I had pictured in my head. I will install 3.5mm plug in ashtray lighter socket and fabricate a plate where the ashtray is to house the volume control. That way I can slide ashtray closed and nothing is showing (as far as audio) on dash.

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
That should work for what you are wanting to do. Since they are 6.5 they will fit in the doors, you may have to do something to make rear ones fit right. The cool part is done right it will be all water proof. What you are trying to do would be something I would do if I didn't have subs haha

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts