Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum, so this question may all ready be out there, but is it possible to mount a winch, hidden or semi-hidden using the stock 94 XLT bumper? I would like to move the bumper out with spacers and trim it also. Any tips or advice on this much aprreciated.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
i would suggest buying or fabbing up a winch bumper. that may it will be stronger and it won't look like a spaced and trimmed stock bumper.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
I can be done be would prob be easier to buy the mount not fab it up. Just use a steel back plate and bolt/weld it to the frame. Steel plate at least thicker that 1/4 in.

·
Registered
463 Posts
hey this sounds like a good idea. i mite try 2 find a way 2 hide it behind the bumper & have the hook come out thru 1 of the fog lite holes. of course... once i get a winch.

·
Registered
463 Posts
well on my '95s bumper there r holes that ur supost 2 put fog lites n. the holes roughly look like this. [ ][ ] if u cut out that center piece of plastic. ][ then the hole just mite b big enuf 2 pull the hook thru it. & im sure some1 can rig up some kind of bracket & figure out a way 2 fit it behind the front bumper.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
and what kind of angle will there be between that fog light hole and your winch?also, what odo think you'll do to avoid damaging the cable by runnig through this hole?

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
i saw the same bronco im sure scheki did on ebay about a year back. it had the two center holes in the bumper, y they are there i do not know, but they had punched out the center then made it look stock by putting trim around it. the winch was behind the bumper somehow, and the only way you could tell was by looking at the fairlead and hook through the bumper, my main concern with this would be how to get to the controls?!? i think todds bumper that david, tim, and todd just built would be much better, and it looks pretty nice too

wes

·
College User
2,018 Posts
Yea you want it easy to get to so if you have to use it and put the cable back the right way. Or just get a tensioner fairlead.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have seen it done, and I plan on doing it too. Those two holes are not for fog lights although they work well. I plan to remove the front license plate bracket and put the roller fairlead there, with some minor cutting of course. and as for the mounting, I really like the way bronkzilla designed his winch carrier all the way back to the crossmember, and then on the sides go to the frame behind the cromple zone. I also want to try to find a tensioner peice like tow trucks use since puting it behind the bumper will make it harder to access.

Only thing stopping me is money, if you do it, post some pics, good luck

:beer

·
Registered
463 Posts
hey guidogabriele, nice truck, & stereo system. what size r those subs? i got 2 12" aluminum coned MOMOs. i plan on makin a superford page soon as i get my lift. 4 now i just have 33s on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the ideas, I am debating on doing the hidden winch setup with the stock bumber, buying a Warn classic bumper, or since I don't have any welding skills finding someone to fab one for me.......thanks again, keep the ideas coming

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
why do you guys want to bother keeping your factory bumper? if you are doing wheeling hard enough to require a winch, you are just going to smash it on all the hard core obstacles you need the winch to get you around/through. those stock bumper aren't worth shit.

·
College User
2,018 Posts
Yea, I use mine a ton, it tells me when I need to reverse and try another line. Same goes for the rear. Also it can destroy small trees with little to no damage. :goodfinge That is if your trail in too small for a fullsize.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts