Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when I turn my steering wheel, I am getting a whining noise from under the hood. I took it to my mechanic who is a good friend and I trust him implicitly, and he said that that was fine and it makes that sound normally. I know that there are bearings in the steering column, but it definitly sounds like it is coming from under the hood. She doesn't pull to the left or right, but there is a tiny bit of play in the wheel, which I assume is also normal. Any of you guys have this problem or is something wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kind of new to Bronco tech, but not to car tech. Do all Broncos have the C2 steering pumps? I have a 1995 XLT, so I don't know if that is normal for my truck. I also heard in another thread that you should put automatic transmission fluid in the steering fluid reservoir of the C2 to get rid of the noise. Is this true?

·
Registered
328 Posts
ATF wont get rid of the wine. In fact, Ford wants you to use ATF in their PS pumps. Like stonepaw said, most C2 pumps wine. They were designed for lighter weight cars, not really for heavier trucks with bigger tires.

A pretty simple way to fix it is to swap out the power steering setup from a Ford Econoline van. There is a lot of info on this site and on the web about this swap. Try searching "Bronco saginaw power steering pump swap". I recently did the swap, and it cost about $130. Let me know if you have trouble finding info on it. I can send over what info you will need.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
does it have fluid in it?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If it's a screech-whine it could be a belt slipping. A whir-whine is definitely the PS pump, and the saginaw swap isn't too hard but might require you to buy some tools - pulleys need to be removed, you need one or two 1/2" drive breaker bars, etc. Maybe your mechanic friend would do it for you?

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Doing the saginaw pump swap will all but eliminate the noise. It will also make steering much easier. The saginaw pump is much stronger and more resilient. I swapped over to it when I was rebuilding my motor. My original pump wined like a little b!tch. It was also much harder to steer with larger than stock tires with the stock pump when your not moving.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
do the swap if you can a definate improvement over stock

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
louder exhaust will fix it
Amen to that! Well, I am getting a job here soon so that's when I will end up swapping my pump. I really REALLY want to get rid of the noise. For now, I'll throw in some ATF, just because Ford says so. In the next month or two, new pump time!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Amen to that! Well, I am getting a job here soon so that's when I will end up swapping my pump. I really REALLY want to get rid of the noise. For now, I'll throw in some ATF, just because Ford says so. In the next month or two, new pump time!
if you just go with a standard OEM replacement pump, 9 times out of 10 the brand new once will whine right out of the box.

the ONLY way to get rid of the standard whiny pump, is to do a saginaw swap. there are a few write-ups on how to do it.

if you don't want to do that, sure put a new standard pump on it. just turn up the radio so you don't hear it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
every ford truck that i have owned it has whined. as for the cars its another story.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Put a full bottle of Lucas power steering oil in it. It's thick stuff and designed to quiet and smooth out the pump. I have done this now with three of these pumps and it will quiet them up. It was recommended to my by a Frod mechanic. You will need to drain some fluid or I have used a turkey baster to remove fluid. It works great, please try it. It beats the hell out of replacing the pump and will work fine. Now if you are running 37's or better the Sag pump swap is a good idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
haha - +2 on that one! I've got a nice leak at one of my headers to now - sounds like a chain-gun (whatever that sounds like..)!;)

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I am kind of new to Bronco tech, but not to car tech. Do all Broncos have the C2 steering pumps?
Yes

And almost every other 70,s, 80s and 90's Ford, Except for Econoline Vans.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Put a full bottle of Lucas power steering oil in it. It's thick stuff and designed to quiet and smooth out the pump. I have done this now with three of these pumps and it will quiet them up. It was recommended to my by a Frod mechanic. You will need to drain some fluid or I have used a turkey baster to remove fluid. It works great, please try it. It beats the hell out of replacing the pump and will work fine. Now if you are running 37's or better the Sag pump swap is a good idea.
never heard of this but i know that lucas fluids are good stuff. i will definitely try it out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts