Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering high pressure hose is leaking where is goes into the steering box. I replaced the hose with a new one thinking the old one had a crack where it went into the box. It is still leaking. You can start the engine and turn the wheel back and forth and watch the fluid leak down from the box. I have made sure the hose was tight. What am I missing??

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,568 Posts
There is small brass insert in the box, maybe that came out or was worn into the old hose.
Also maybe try cleaning this spot extremely well.
I have had issues with the same connection on my 78 before as well. I think I ended up filing the brass part so it was as close to new as possible, new hose, and finally no leak.
Later I replaced it with a read head, which also has not had an issue.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so how do I remove the brass insert?? I pulled the hose again today and shined a light up to the brass insert but I could not tell much about it.

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
41 Posts
My power steering high pressure hose is leaking where is goes into the steering box. I replaced the hose with a new one thinking the old one had a crack where it went into the box. It is still leaking. You can start the engine and turn the wheel back and forth and watch the fluid leak down from the box. I have made sure the hose was tight. What am I missing??
Finally I got back in after a couple of years trying. This is what I done to my power steering pump that was leaking. I took the pump off. Pulled the back plactic cover off. Cleaned it all good. Their is a rubber seal that goes around inside the pump that sits in a grove. I put form -a-gasket around it. Put the seal back on and let it set up for awhile.Then put it back on and put everything back together. That was about 1989 and it has not leaked since.Make sure eveything is clean and dry good.Before putting the form-ah-gasket on. Good luck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my new redhead steering box installed. It is a little stiff right in the center. If I turn my steering wheel about half way either way it is easier to turn. Is this normal?

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,380 Posts
I know that my box (redhead) had a stiff spot right at center before I had it bled. You could move it easy in either direction once you went past the center point. I questioned it as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue now that everything is bled and running properly.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok That is exactly what mine is doing. I am going to drive it tomorrow to town and see how it does

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,568 Posts
Can also add that mine was kind of the same way, however like mentioned do not noitced it anymore. My thoughts where it was setup to better then new and the one I had was in worse shape then I thought. I was not even born in 79 so I have no clue how these where when new...

Also I used the solid end of a new drill bit to slowly work out those brass pieces on my box, a gauge pin or a punch of the correct size would also work good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts