Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just got my Bronco back in my posession all the way from California. It's been sitting there for almost a year, so today after getting her started up and driving, I noticed that the truck would just run almost 4thousand RPM and i couldnt go any faster, I was at like 25 MPH, eventually after a long while it FINALLY jumped into the next gear (its an automatic) but I was just wondering what that could be? Do I just need to drive it more to get the kinks out or is it a problem from it sitting for too long? This will probably be the first of many posts lol I'm gonna have a lot to fix up on this thing I can tell

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Change all of your fluids if its ben sitting that long. Tranny especially it sounds like.

Getting your rpms up and not getting any power though seems like a compression to me, which could mean head gasket. Its porbably not, but start with all the fluids as they need changed, pay attention to anything weird in the oil, like coolant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How fast can you get to 25? Is there a lack of power or is it just not shifting? Make sure the fluids are good, but letting a vehicle sit for long isnt good so it may just need some driving.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I'd bet the fuel is bad.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If its a C6 (three speed auto) try manually shifting to second. If it shifts fine manually but then wont go into third check the kick-down and vacuum modulator.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It idles just fine. I let it sit for a while before I drove it, just letting it idle, all the white smoke came out the tailpipe and I waited until nothing came out, and when I started driving on the road, the fastest I could go was 25 and my RPMs were pushing 4, it FINALLY shifted up when I was like 1 minute away from home, but by the time I slowed down to make my turn, it went right back into high RPMs when I hit the gas again. I am going to do an oil change and I will check the tranny, how will i know if its bad? Will it be discolored?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,092 Posts
If its a C6 (three speed auto) try manually shifting to second. If it shifts fine manually but then wont go into third check the kick-down and vacuum modulator.
:stupid

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have had 2 different vehicles behave similar to that in the past. one was a speed sensor problem and the other was a plugged fuel filter.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
it sure sounds like it is not shifting out of first until it hits full governed shift point

my 78 c6 vacuum signal port on my carb ices up on cold starts about a mile into my trip,i know this because I have a vacuum gauge on same circuit

the vacuum gauge stops moving and then the trans wont shift

it will shift into second if I manually shift it
it will not shift into 3rd unless I hit max rpm in second

what trans you have ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts