Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets take a vote. What is everyones favorite motor oil that they use in their BKO? For a 106,000 mile engine that burns a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, which viscosity should I run? The engine is by no means on its last leg, this problem came from the factory. Stock is 10W-30, which i ve been using. Should I try 10W-40, 15W-40, or 20W-50? We're about to be in the heat of summer pretty soon here in Maryland. I know the bearing clearances are larger on a higher mileage engine, but how much bigger? If they are too tight, 20W-50 would cause too much fluid friction. Also, should I run a high mileage oil? I know the Mobil 1 15W-50 has been recommended, but I want to run dyno oil.
Thanks for your help?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? Would I be safe running something as high as 20W-50 in the summer? I have 106,000 miles on the engine. Would the bearing clearances probably being enough? If my piston rings were leaking, this probably would restore compression.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
you will be ok with the 20/50 in the summer months. again, I believe that you will like the 15/50 mobil1 even more Despite the cost.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I was just concerned about the bearing clearances and the oil getting everywhere its supposed to be. Plus, the engine still has plenty of life left and this just seems like a last ditch effort. But, I guess its alright.
Thanks-

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So problem from the factory you say that causes 1qt of oil per 1k miles, So what problem is that ?

BTW I use valvoline 10W30 or 10W40 depending on time of year or what oils are on sale at my local parts place. Don't burn one drop of oil and the only oil you see on my driveway is when I get sloppy and let a oil filter slip when doing my oil changes :rockon

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
yes it would, there in no concern about oil getting everywhere, oil always gets everywhere period ! Conventional type oil and REALLY cold temps dont get along. {example} I bought a Bronco2 offa my sister and it had fresh Pennzoil 20/50 in it, Went to Harras Club at southlake Tahoe in the dead of winter and the next morning when I fired up the 200,000 mile motor you could hear a lifter tapping for about 10 seconds, Not a rod or main bearing or piston slap. I switched to Mobil1 15/50 and did the same thing the next year, No lifter noise this time. If you are concerened about burning alot of oil and don't want to use an expensive or heavier weight oil {ever pull the dipstick on a 20/50 weight oil engine when its warm ? it is thinned out} just rebuild the engine or do new valve stem seals and rings.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the valve seals were replaced under warranty, which did not cure the problem. So, I suspect bad piston rings in a couple of the cylinders. And maybe higher viscosity oil may increase compression and as a result get more power and gas mileage. Haven't not done a compression test because I don't have a compression tester. I don't get blue or black smoke coming out the tailpipe either. I could step up to 10W-40 from 10w-30 and see if that helps.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Your engine might not notice a slight change like going to a 10/40 but I guess you could try. Have you used a vacuum guage on your engine yet ? They are cheap to buy and tell alot about the condition of an engine.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I meant I wonder if there would be a change in compression going to the Mobil 1 15/50. Yes, I do have a vacuum gauge but not a compression tester. Where do I hook the vacuum gauge up to read the manifold pressure?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Anything but Mobil 1, in 10w40, or 20w50.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
anything but what klake says cause he makes big statements without backing them with onfo-

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Hook the guage anywhere on he intake manifold, Search for the info on how to read it-

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Why not Mobil 1?
Because of multiple first hand, and second hand (but not internet hear say) of blown engines while using mobil 1. All of them a direct result of oiling issues.....Spun bearings.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Synthetics have better lubrication properties. The properties of synthetics are so good that they tend to leak out more. So, if anything, they would ruin a engine if too much oil leaks out or burns and the oil runs too low and somebody forgets to check the dipstick. But, with 15W-50, for sure, I would be fine as far as that.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
you are not going to get more compression..... you are not going to leak more.... now go buy oil before ya start lookin' kinda spammy/trollie-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts