Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellow Bronco owners, I have a 94 4 inch lift on 33, I am assuming stock gears, with a 302 auto trans. For those of you with my similar specs what highway speeds do yall feel comfortable running at. I usually max out at 60 mph. I just bought it about a month ago haven't done anything to engine yet (in military and been really busy). What would be the first thing I could do to engine that would help it running on highway. The bronco runs smooth at 60, just feels like Im stressing engine to get that high.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you have stock gears and an e4od tranny( I assume) I would think you could go 60 no problem. What kind of rpm's are you running at 60?

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
65-75 depending on if I'm towing and how the engine is running that day.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I think you need to focus on gears. I think 4.56 would be ideal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a tach gauge to know my rpms. I can hit 60 easily But without out knowing rpms it's kinda of hard. This my first truck without gauge

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,280 Posts
I have a 93 E/B 5.8L w/4" lift, stock gears and 33's. I drive 16mi one way to work on mostly country roads when I drive the 93. Speed limit is 60 max for 10mi of it. She's revving around 1800/2000rpm at 60 and is comfortable on a non windy day.
On the other hand for bad weather days I drive an 88 E/B 5.0 stock gears with no lift and 30's. It's comfortable at 60mph until you hit a slope and she downshifts into 3rd to maintain the speed. Same rpm for the most part. This Bronco does not have the HP the 93 does and I know that after driving both.

I have been driving the 88 for 11yrs now and have just gotten used to the way it runs. Tire pressure is something to keep a handle on. I run the 88 @ 40lbs front and back. The ride is a bit rough, but she rolls better and that helps the motor not rev so much. Bronco's are not highway vehicles for sure. Maybe that's why the speedo stops @ 85mph. Brian

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I can usually hold 70 in my 91' no lift with 31s without a problem. You shouldn't need to re-gear the axles if you're running 33's, or at least your motor shouldn't be huffing and puffing so to speak. I'd check your exhaust and intake. I know I had to do a complete exhaust replacement because of some hack job welding and just plain rust on my old exhaust. Bigger pipes with new muffler and cat really opened up the power. A new intake filter wouldn't hurt either if it wasn't changed out already.

BTW, where are you stationed. Lots of military members on here. Maybe someone can give you a hand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm stationed in great ole NAS Lemoore I've been in for 14 years now. I don't know maybe it's me thinking since it's an older truck I don't wanna push it. Tomorrow on the way to work I'll go up to 65 see how it runs. Seems like every time I have to go past 55 I have to punch the pedal which makes the tranny drop a gear to pick up speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been wondering about this, my 94 E/B 5.8L no lift 33's stock gears is ALWAYS running around 2k RPM's at highway speeds (60-65mph) which is affecting my gas mileage im sure but have no idea why shes running such high RPMs

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been wondering about this, my 94 E/B 5.8L no lift 33's stock gears is ALWAYS running around 2k RPM's at highway speeds (60-65mph) which is affecting my gas mileage im sure but have no idea why shes running such high RPMs
from my knowledge the early 90s thought that at 2k rpms was optimal for fuel milage iv owned a lot of old trucks my ranger my s10 my 89 dodge Dakota all ran at about 1500-2k rpms my bronco on the other hand is at about 3k from the sounds of it due to gearing and me having a 3 speed in it.

id start by checking what style trans u have and see if thegearing has been changed out or if the axle its self has been swapped

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think you need to focus on gears. I think 4.56 would be ideal.
jscatt, I think he is wanting to go faster without blowing it up ! my 94 5.8 on 31's will run 75 all day long and gets over 16mpg. I drive it 120miles to work 3 days a week runs around 2200rpm iirc. then I get in my 2014 ram ecodiesel and look down doing over 90mph and have to slam on the brakes not wanting a blue light special. see what gears you have now and if you have 3.73 or higher (meaning lower number) your good to 80mph no problem, mine gets there almost daily, but it aint like being in a caddy at that speed !

·
Registered
140 Posts
also remember that if your tires are larger then stock your speedo is off, I run 35s and my speedo in the city is about 3-5 off and highway im a little over 10 .... so going 55 im going 65. going 25 im going about 29 ish

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
for 92+ with larger tires make sure to calibrate the PSOM to the proper tires size your running. This will allow the trans to operate accordingly.

now with that said. having stock gears with 33's and the 5.0 is stressing and consuming more fuel for sure. the proper gearing will get you back to a more optimal driving rpm.

I run 4.88's with my 35's, 5.8/e4od. run 2200 rpm at 65. when I want to pass the truck moves with out needing to downshift unless I want it to. makes it nice, Cruise control holds very well on the hwy.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 35 with stock gearing and it will cruise at 70 with no problem. However the speedo is off on mine too. When mine shows 65 it is actually going 73mph. You could download an app on your phone to measure your speed while driving. I use the app 'speed tracker ' for my boat and cars to see the actual speed. It use to be free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts