Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Bought an 84' XLT this past spring that looked like it had been parked in a barn for the last 20 years as a project to eventually be a somewhat daily driver. It originally came with a 351w but someone swapped in a 302 at some point. Still has what looks to be the original C6 trans. Other than the 302/smog stuff deleted it looks to be pretty bone stock, complete with factory silver rims, chrome beauty rings, and original am/fm cassette radio.

Had no gas tank but turned over fine and the body/frame was almost completely rust free so I towed it home. After a new gas tank, sending unit, and a filter I primed the lines and it started right up :). Besides that, far Ive worked on the interior and electical (talk about a mess!!), and did the rain gutter/corner crack repair/reinforcement.

I picked up a second bronco on the cheap at one point for the extra hard top with sliding windows, other random parts, and grabbed the 351w in it as well. The 351w has now been rebuilt and is sitting in my garage waiting to have all the other stuff cleaned/replaced/put back on before swapping it out with the 302.

The C6....I dont want it lol. Not pulling out stumps or a tearing down a house and having OD sounded more apealling. So, I picked up an AOD to swap in and am toiling with how best to approach that, but that and many other things are probably best left for another thread.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Maybe someday when it drives we'll cross paths and wave to each other like all those super sassy jeep peeps but in much cooler rides :).
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
5,550 Posts
Bullnose is the best nose 👍😁
Definitely much cooler rides...
And gotta love the C6... You can't kill that thing... But there are plenty of threads for AOD swaps if ya wanna look into that...

·
Registered
1988 Bronco XLT 302, 5 Speed manual 1994 E.B. 351
112 Posts
Very Cool.
Welcome.
I bought an '88 a few months back that was in a field for about 15 years.
Still working on getting it running. Getting a little too cold here in Oregon.
Where are you out of?

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm up in Olympia, WA. Pulled mine out of Prineville, OR. Some high school kid was selling it. He had a couple others as well, wonder if one them is now yours....sound familiar??

·
Registered
1988 Bronco XLT 302, 5 Speed manual 1994 E.B. 351
112 Posts
I'm up in Olympia, WA. Pulled mine out of Prineville, OR. Some high school kid was selling it. He had a couple others as well, wonder if one them is now yours....sound familiar??
No, none of mine.
But Prineville is about 3 hour north of me.
Great fishing in the Crooked River just south of the town.
And I was up there in September.

What else did he have?

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,321 Posts
Great to have another Bullnose saved! More pics please! Got the nice red/white victoria paint scheme too along with the XLT trim..that will be a very nice rig. Congrats.

If the ID sticker is still in the drivers door jamb, lets see it too. Also a fun thing to spend 20 bucks on is a Marti Report...will tell you all about your rig, when it was ordered, where it was delivered too, what all options it came with etc.

·
Super Moderator
33,240 Posts
Yo Wishmeluck,
Welcome to our DIY BIG Bronco community!

See C6 to AOD discussion @ tips on AOD swap?
Thanks for filling in your 84s Signature!

Here's the 1984 Bronco EVTM, Emissions, Body/Chassis, Engine and Pre-Delivery Manuals @ Bronco provided by Ryan McFarland
Scroll down to "or continue to website" and click.
Suggest downloading all.

1984 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford @ https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/84_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

1984 Light Truck Data Book by Ford via Gary M

1984 Exterior Colors by Ford via Gary M

Ford 1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary M

Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI - ???Gary's Garagemahal by Ford via Gary M

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

Post any Broncos issues in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories where 50 posts are required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members too many times.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example:
How To Edit A Post
How To Delete A Duplicate Post
How To Find Your Content
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts
How To Search The Site
and more tips!

➡ See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Please find time to look at and Vote in our next Full-Size of the Month & in our ONGOING Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting, You will get ideas by those competing8]ⁿ.
Prizes are awarded to the winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Enjoy our site!
Al

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
3,093 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on the (mostly) original 84! Sounds like you have some nice plans for it and are working through them. Keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Registered
1992 Ford F150 5.0 2WD
411 Posts
Hey all,

Bought an 84' XLT this past spring that looked like it had been parked in a barn for the last 20 years as a project to eventually be a somewhat daily driver. It originally came with a 351w but someone swapped in a 302 at some point. Still has what looks to be the original C6 trans. Other than the 302/smog stuff deleted it looks to be pretty bone stock, complete with factory silver rims, chrome beauty rings, and original am/fm cassette radio.

Had no gas tank but turned over fine and the body/frame was almost completely rust free so I towed it home. After a new gas tank, sending unit, and a filter I primed the lines and it started right up :). Besides that, far Ive worked on the interior and electical (talk about a mess!!), and did the rain gutter/corner crack repair/reinforcement.

I picked up a second bronco on the cheap at one point for the extra hard top with sliding windows, other random parts, and grabbed the 351w in it as well. The 351w has now been rebuilt and is sitting in my garage waiting to have all the other stuff cleaned/replaced/put back on before swapping it out with the 302.

The C6....I dont want it lol. Not pulling out stumps or a tearing down a house and having OD sounded more apealling. So, I picked up an AOD to swap in and am toiling with how best to approach that, but that and many other things are probably best left for another thread.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Maybe someday when it drives we'll cross paths and wave to each other like all those super sassy jeep peeps but in much cooler rides :).
View attachment 204696
Nice find, looks clean. What did you pull it with? When I enter my information into uhaul website it says I can't pull a bronco/f150. I have a 2003 excursion with v10. It should be strong enough right?

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Nice find, looks clean. What did you pull it with? When I enter my information into uhaul website it says I can't pull a bronco/f150. I have a 2003 excursion with v10. It should be strong enough right?
I’ve discovered that the uhaul site is full of crap. I had an emergency and needed a tow dolly to pull a small Toyota car home and I had a Nissan Titan XD diesel and it said I couldn’t pull it…we just kept trying different trucks till I found one that worked.

Your excursion should have no problem pulling a bronco…from what I see you have anywhere from 9600 to 11000 towing capacity. Your bronco weighs about 4500 lb and a good car hauler weighs around 2000 so 6500 lb should be nothing to it.

EDIT

I think I know why, it’s the age of your vehicle I played around with it and got this message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, none of mine.
But Prineville is about 3 hour north of me.
Great fishing in the Crooked River just south of the town.
And I was up there in September.

What else did he have?
He had a couple of other bullnose broncos he was selling for parts, but this was back in the begining of the year. I saw the add he had for them a few weeks later but its gone now, so Im assuming he sold them.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I towed it home with my 2017 Grand Cherokee (5.8). I didnt post a pic of the Jeep towing it figuring Id never hear the end of it lol.

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great to have another Bullnose saved! More pics please! Got the nice red/white victoria paint scheme too along with the XLT trim..that will be a very nice rig. Congrats.

If the ID sticker is still in the drivers door jamb, lets see it too. Also a fun thing to spend 20 bucks on is a Marti Report...will tell you all about your rig, when it was ordered, where it was delivered too, what all options it came with etc.
Door jamb ID sticker :

Font Gas Handwriting Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What it looked like inside:

Car Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

A few things ive done and what it looks like after some love inside (so far Ive stripped the interior, addressed the floor, SEMS paint on all interior plastic (napa red), cleaned all carpets and heat/soundproofffed, swapped seats out of an 85 f150 (will have the original recovered eventually), all electrical gone through and rehabbed/upgraded, fiberglassed/recovered headliner, repaired door panels, installed gas tank/new fuel pump and now it runs, but no driving cuz it doesnt have workign brakes yet):
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Fixture

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car Plant

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

I do NOT like how that center console looks (so out of place :confused:) and would prefer to have one of the older ones, but for $20 it was better than what it had which was nothing. I also didnt spend too much time sanding the headliner flat as I intended to evenually order one of the ABS replacement ones so it looks kinda lumpy all over. But for some reason I kinda like it 🤷‍♀️

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
That console might not look as "in place" but its more useful than the original one...i ditched my original for an early 90's Chevy extended cab console...gets me front and rear cup holders, organization in the console and a nice padded grippy lid and don't look any more out of place than the newer ford one...IMO.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Well...big surprise here, 9D is listed as WHITE on the Bullnose Forum paint codes, but listed as Herron White on some other sites. 51 is Medium Dark Fire Red aka Dark Canyon Red on Bullnose Forum.

H6 is a 9" axle with limited slip 3.50 gears

K is the C6 Transmission

·
Registered
1984 Bronco XLT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well...big surprise here, 9D is listed as WHITE on the Bullnose Forum paint codes, but listed as Herron White on some other sites. 51 is Medium Dark Fire Red aka Dark Canyon Red on Bullnose Forum.

H6 is a 9" axle with limited slip 3.50 gears

K is the C6 Transmission
Yeah, doing the floor required some big decisions for me....bedliner, or paint :unsure:. I've had my experiences doing the bedliner thing. Bedliner always seems to sound like a great idea at the time but in the long run it always proved to be more of a pain (for me), so I chose paint. The rust was all surface except for one spot on the driver side, so I treated it, primed, and painted with Rustoleum.

The interesting part is I went through the color chart and also noticed that 9D is listed and white, however, someone in the past decided to spray paint the white part on the driver side fender "white", and that was noticably whiter than Fords version of white. So, I grabbed the can of almond colored Rustoleum and it turned out to be an exact dead on match for Fords 9D white.

I'd like to have it repainted next summer and am planning on keeping the red/white victoria paint scheme. Hopefully whomever paints it wont have issues matching the colors... and finding the striping tape 🤞.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts