Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 6" superlift lift last weekend. I took it for a test run today and hit the front diff / pumpkin on a rock going pretty quick. I immediately started to hear a grinding noise from the front. Got underneath and checked, but couldn't see anything. It makes the most noise when turning slightly to the left.

Any ideas? I got back late, but hopefully have time to get it in my garage this week.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Next time drive over the rock not into it!!! Haha jk is it ttb, sas? If u put an sas in u could have bent the cover into the ring gear. Then there is a chance u broke a shaft and it binding somewhere causing ur noise need a little more info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, TTB. I know the front is still working cause I also busted my rear drive shaft and limped home in front wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Sorry, TTB. I know the front is still working cause I also busted my rear drive shaft and limped home in front wheel drive.
Thats a hell of a "test run" ;)

Check for the passenger side inner axle shaft rubbing against the axle beam.
X2

Its a common problem with the lifted Broncos. Sometimes you have to clear the inner axle beam so the shaft doesnt grind on it....

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
The beam itself is what bent. You can find used ines all the time just about anywhere. You dont have the posts to buy one from here but you can get one from a JY or from another site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bent the passenger TTB? How did I do that by hitting a rock on the pumpkin?

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Are you sure you hit exactly on the pumpkin? If you hit anything hard enough that wont move something on your truck will.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I think you need 75 before you can even see the for sale section. Another option would be check another site that doesn't require so many posts.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Is your axle shaft stub retained with a c-clip on that side (in the wheel hub)? It looks like it's slid back towards the diff which would cause the u-joint and knuckle to have different pivot center lines. As you turn the knuckle, it swings the axle shaft in an arc.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
It has a c clip on the end of the axle's stub shaft that holds it out in position. Pull off the lock outs and look if there is a clip still on the end of the stub shaft.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, I took the lockout hub off and the clip was just sitting there not attached. I took out the gears, but the shaft will not come out far enough to put the clip on again. I pryed on the knuckle, but the shaft is still too shallow. What am I missing now? More pics at the same link as above.

Also, when I put the clip on the shaft, it is way too loose. I assume I need a new one, what is it call to buy a new one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took off everything down to the spindle. Looks like the spindle bearing blew up. Was it just time to blow up or did the hit blow it up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts