Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have and specific experience with adding a Holley 500 to a stock manifold on a 351M? Will it open it up dramatically or minimal? I was looking for inexpensive upgrades to make it run a little better and was trying to steer clear of a 4barr.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I have put that carb on numerous 2V Ford engines over the years (and others too..IHC 304 for example.) It does improve the performance in the mid to hihg end and I never saw any downsides on the bottom end.

Not as trail friendly as the Motocraft 2V though..and not any huge gains to be had from the Holley.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.. They seem to be a affordable way to increase a little power. Maybe add some headers to it as well down the road

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You won't see much difference with the Holley, and your mileage may drop. The Motorcraft carb works so good that just rejetting it and tuning the power valve (like you would with a Holley) may net the same results.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I bought one last night ($239 polished finish, they accidentally gave me the more expensive finshed for the lower cost, ya!), along with the D choke kit and the adapter for my electric choke. My factory rebuilt carb took a dump on me ,or something was sticking and the pig would NOT run right. I'm not a carb kinda guy I've always played with computer controlled vehicles so I'm sure I could have taken it off and had someone open it up and rebuild it etc, but hell with it..I went with the Holley 500 in hopes of a little extra power .The only way it would start is if you held the peddle to the floor while cranking, once it kicked over it then would start spitting gas all over the manifold as it was running then all over my damn drive way. All I needed was it to start a fire when I had it out in the desert or driving for that matter. I know I plan on tossing in a new engine in 2 yrs or less so I can either re-use this one at that time or sell it in lu of a larger one in the future.

That's what I did last night...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And some people were meant to run from police.

Ya, but those ones I love...:chili: Nothing I enjoy more than a 200 yard chase.. I'll getCHA. Even with 20 pounds of gear on my waist I always seem to move faster than the other

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya. I've been ditched that way.. Mainly by street bikes. I don't even bother chasing them anymore. Waste of fuel

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any reason why you don't want to go with a 4 barrel?
Ya, a couple.. It's kinda a nostalgic project Bronco for my Dad and I in remembrance of his old truck that was to be passed down to me but someone decided to steal it. He had a 351M with a Holley 500 and was really pleased with it over the stock carb. The 500 was in expensive and I didnt have to shell out another $175.00 for a manifold. I'm not trying to make gobs of HP out of it, just freshen it up a little. Maybe in a few years once I buy a new 351 or 400 I'll go with a huge gas drinking 4B. :rockon

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
you'll actually get same or better with a 4brrl if you stay off the gas pedal, i found a 4 brrl intake for 70 bucks shipped. i know what you mean though, i've been torn about switching mine to a 4 brrl, kind of want to keep it all stock, see what it can do. it's kind of cool to wheel and drive it and see what a stock one can do.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
post on here what your mpg did and performance did after swap, i may go that rout if it works out for you

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
post on here what your mpg did and performance did after swap, i may go that rout if it works out for you
I'm hoping it will go from pure $hit to eh, $shitty

Although I am comparing to my DD which gets about 38mpg lol

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The stock intakes are a total lump. An Edelbrock or Weiand manifold is a great investment. Can still run the 500 cfm on it with an adapter. The weiand (to me) has a much nicer & larger sealing surface. Horsepower is similar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't mind keep us posted on how the Holley works out. My carb is needing freshened up right now. If the Holley does ok I may try one instead of rebuilding mine or buying a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't mind keep us posted on how the Holley works out. My carb is needing freshened up right now. If the Holley does ok I may try one instead of rebuilding mine or buying a rebuilt one.
Certainly will!

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
One of the 78 Broncos I owned had one of those holley 2bbl's on it and it ran terrible, sucked gas bad. I went to the boneyard, pulled a 2bbl motorcraft off a 351W, put a 15 dollar kit in it, and replaced the holley. The difference was night and day. I dunno what the deal was with it, but it was poop.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts