Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yesterday I called D&D Performance about my carburetor and they were able to help me find the perfect carb and gave me a decent quote on labor at one hour. The carb that I will be replacing the old one with is the Holley Model 4160 part number 0-80457s (take that down)...

...While an O'Reilly store a distance away happened to have mine in stock they are available at Summit and Jegs but difficult to find elsewhere off the shelf. This is because this version of the Holley 4160 is the "tumble polish" it is not zinc coated like the shiny, more popular, "Avenger" model. A word to the wise passed on to me from the mechanic: The shiny ones get hot and gum up the works. I'm not sure then why they're so popular other than folks like shiny things - but forget them! If you need a new carb do yourself a favor and take the time to find a "tumble polish." I dropped "Tebow" (the Bronco) off at D&D with my beautiful new Holley, "Tebow" should be home on Friday. I must remember to call the mechanic tomorrow so he holds on to the old carb, I'd like to try rebuilding it when I've got free time. Oh and the man's opinion on Edelbrock: they're crap in high altitudes. I know others disagree, but I thought I'd share that too.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
as for the edelbrock being crap at altitude, every carb rebuilder has their favorite carbs. They tend to say bad things about the other ones. All carbs have plus's and minus's. Do some reading around the net about holleys and you will see the good and bad about them, Same goes for Edelbrocks and the old date Q-jets.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't doubt you Jopes, you've more experience than I with this sort of thing. I do so love Holley though 'cos I'm a loyal kinda' gal and it's only what I've ever had. Which makes me ill informed in order to really get into a holley v. edelbrock debate. (PS: I just went with a new carb, the labor cost to rebuild was just as much as a new one.)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
How is it running with the new carb?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty good - it still needs a new gasket on the intake manifold but even still it's 100% better than it was. Steering gear box was #5 on my list, now it's #2 'cos they're getting super bad. more to come!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts