Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My welding instructor has Holley Projection installed on a 351W in his 71 Torino and he was telling me last night that it's running really rich and dumping lots of fuel down the intake. He said it was installed by the auto mechanic students at the college so there's no telling what kind of mess they made of it. Anybody here running the same system or familiar with it's operation? Any ideas on what the problem may be? I asked him if it had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator...he didn't know (he's 67 and not EFI savvy). He did say that they installed the O2 sensor so that ruled out my first question to him.

:shrug

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the commander 950 TBI fuel injection system on mine and suspect it is similar to the projection system. My system came with a computer disc that had about 15 base porgrams. The computer module automatically adjusts fuel input about 10% from the base program based on sensor feedback. If your base program is even remotely close it will run pretty good. Most people I have talked to say they just plug them in and run them. The Holley tech support people say it MUST be tuned. If the computer is using all of it's adjustment just to run, it can't compenste for loads. On mine if you load the diagnostics onto a laptop and plug it into the module it constantly tells you where your base map is and what adjustments are being made. You basically need to run it across the rpm band both at idle and under load and see where it needs to be then adjust the basemap. All this having been said. I haven't tuned mine mine through the rpm range yet. The fuel pressure is adjustable with a screw on the back of the throttle body. If he has the manuals it shows where this is. I had to reduce my fuel pressure some initially, mine runs great if the engine loads are not too big. If the engine starts to bog down under WOT the thing dosen't seem to cut back fuel with lost rpms and it ends up pouring black smoke and bogging down that much quicker. I solved this problem by keeping it in low range and let the built in rev limiter cut back on fuel. The proper solution is to back off the setting on the fuel map. Another consideration is the location of the O2 sensor. Holley people told me it would work much better in one header tube rather than at the end of the collector because the headers dissipate alot of heat before the collector and it throws off the readings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts