Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
865 Posts
Bump for any updates or feedback at this point. I’m really wanting to pull the trigger but am debating another system (substantially more expensive MPFI system for the 400). Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I don’t have the sniper, but I like my FITECH. I run a refurbished stock air cleaner and it lets the engine bay look stock.

I would use their new in tank pump system as well with dual pumps for the maximum in reliability.

I run the FCC and it gave me fits until I made some modifications to how it circulated fuel to keep it running cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I don’t have the sniper, but I like my FITECH. I run a refurbished stock air cleaner and it lets the engine bay look stock.

I would use their new in tank pump system as well with dual pumps for the maximum in reliability.

I run the FCC and it gave me fits until I made some modifications to how it circulated fuel to keep it running cool.

I too am interested in a system for my 78 460 and appreciate the info
what is this FCC you are talking about
not all of us are up to speed on all the acronyms people use

over on the 60-66 chev truck forum, bbw means big back window,not something totally different I would have though it meant!
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Fuel Command Center.......civilian types (smacks head)........happy Veterans Day to all that have and continue to serve!

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
865 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gents. I’d be going in tank pump regardless and am just debating the TBI style FITech or Holley Sniper vs that 460 EFI Guys MPFI unit.

I’d want to run the timing control via the distributor so I’m thinking the Sniper unit plus the Holley Dual Sync distributor.

I’d say about $2000 separates the two options which most sane people would say the TBI option is just fine. I’m at least just crazy enough to consider that MPFI unit. Spending the money is another thing...but it’s the hyper cool and unique option with all off the shelf Ford components.

TBI style and putting the $2000 difference towards aluminum heads is probably the best option.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
I would do the upgraded heads and a throttle body FI - the heads are where the real improvement will be and the TBI style FI will be plenty sufficient - unless you are adding overdrive and modifying the truck to be more aerodynamic, the marginal gain between TBI and MPFI will be minimal.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,614 Posts
I would do the upgraded heads and a throttle body FI - the heads are where the real improvement will be and the TBI style FI will be plenty sufficient - unless you are adding overdrive and modifying the truck to be more aerodynamic, the marginal gain between TBI and MPFI will be minimal.
This is also my thoughts... And I have an engine which I put together using Mustang style EFI components, harness, etc (though its in my 92). I would never do it again with the availability of the TBI units today.

·
Premium Member
1996 Ford Bronco
865 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think that’s the smart move, too. Sometimes you just need your fellow FSB’rs to talk you off the crazy-overkill ledge. I wander over there too often.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Thinking of getting a Sniper, but
have a question on the FP relay/supply?

Pg 16 shows the 7 pin connector

https://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf

but only 6 wires on connector and then a blue wire that
runs from what looks like a relay to the FP.

Pg 17 shows

Terminal C, Blue Fuel Pump Output (+), +12v Fuel Pump Supply from Relay

Does that mean there is an internal relay somewhere
that you can power pump direct?

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
No that is to turn on a relay for your fuel pump. You will need to install a relay to power the pump. Since every pump is different they just give you the signal wire for the relay.
OK, thanks.............

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Excuse me I was wrong. I was on the Holley site looking up another diagram and decided to double check myself. I was wrong.
There is a relay in the harness for the fuel pump. The blue wire comes from this relay and goes directly to the the positive side of the fuel pump.

Now I would consider this fine for factory pumps or the 255 size pumps, even the included pumps in the master kits. The larger performance pumps I would still recommend using the Blue wire to trigger an external relay and use a large size wiring to the pump. Some performance pumps use as much as 30 amps.

Reference:
Page 16 and Bottom of Page 17 7 pin connector pin out description.
https://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf

Sorry for the mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
I will probably cut it out then and wire that direct into my fuse/relay box.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What do you mean cut it out? It is important that you use it. It handle furl system priming be starts. If you don't use it, you will have starting problems.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
What do you mean cut it out? It is important that you use it. It handle furl system priming be starts. If you don't use it, you will have starting problems.
I'm going to use a relay, wired exactly the same way, just not the relay built into the harness.
I need about 6 extra relays (for various things), and I don't want them lined up on the firewall
or inner fender, like I usually do.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco 351M 4inch Rough Country suspension lift 35 inch tires 15X12.5 Yokohama’s
2 Posts
the sniper runs 58 pounds of pressure, if you have a secondary regulator like i do, open it up to around 60 pounds of pressure, do not use it's return port use the holleys and it should be good to go, that's what holley told me.
On my system which i am using my 78 tank, i installed a 87-89 sender unit. it has both out line and the return line. I got an fittings that fit over the lines and tighten them. I also have a removable panel above the tanks so that i can remove the sender if needed. A lot of guys have done this for that very reason. The panels are from lmc.
I’m getting ready to install the Sniper this week on my 78 just waiting for intake manifold to get here but dam I’m excited , I have a question and I asked the guy at Holley and he said it would be fine but asking your opinion , I didn’t want to drop tank AGAIN so I’m gonna run return line to filler neck about 6-7 inches from the bottom and I think it should be fine if not I’m def gonna cut some panels in this thing and that sender / return for other year is a great idea .

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
you can put a 88*90 intank pump in the 78 bronco. I know becausethat is what I run. For your efi you can change the pump to a high pressure one. By doing this you get the return line on the new sending / pump combination, what I did was add an fittings to the pump pressure line and return line. You don't have to do this .

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Bronco 351M 4inch Rough Country suspension lift 35 inch tires 15X12.5 Yokohama’s
2 Posts
Yea I think your way is better than mine , I ran the return line to the bottom of the filler neck bout half way up , came out great but we will see how things work when I fire it up later this week.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Did you get the progressive "secondary" linkage?

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,161 Posts
you can put a 88*90 intank pump in the 78 bronco. I know becausethat is what I run. For your efi you can change the pump to a high pressure one. By doing this you get the return line on the new sending / pump combination, what I did was add an fittings to the pump pressure line and return line. You don't have to do this .
can you quote us the part number of the sender/pump from 88/90 Broncos?

I used the Holley Pump supplied with the kit, but its rather loud from my point of view, sure you will not hear it with engine running, but still pretty loud, before starting. Its louder than 2 044 Bosch Motorsport pumps I used in a track car years before.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts