Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an ad on craigslist for a 670 street avenger, for $175. They say it was used less than 200 miles. Is this a good deal? Looking for a carb for my recently purchased 400.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Never had a Street Avenger, but the Truck Avenger that I had on my Jeep was light years better than the Edelbrock and standard Holleys I had tried before.

If it's in good shape that's a steal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
what are you using the truck for wheeling or street driving? What is the maximum RPM range you looking at expect to see? Price seems fair besides the mileage I would ask how long it has sat.

I have a street avenger on my truck and I like it. My truck is minimal wheeling, mostly all street and towing. Search there is alot of infor out there street avengers

Tips to make any carb and "off-road" carb

http://classicbroncos.com/carb_tricks.shtml

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now, I am just trying to get the things together so I can get it on the road. Eventually it will be doing some mudding, and some trail riding, but nothing crazy. It is a mildly built 400. The motor came with a 600cfm edelbrock 1405 with manual choke, but I do not want to use it. I also have a Motorcraft, by Holley, 4180c, that came off of an 84 bronco, but not sure I really want to use that either.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would use the Avenger, but check primary jet size against the 4180. Use whichever jets are smaller. If you are running an automatic, you might need the ball for the kickdown to mount to. The Avenger should have the hole in the linkage, for the ball. I bought my ball/stud at NAPA.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Run the street avenger if it is not old and vanished up. Buying a used carb could be buying someone else's problem so came sure you return it to stock setting if it does not run right

·
Registered
120 Posts
In my experience with ANY Holley carb, there is nothing you can't fix on them. If it is varnished, disassemble it and throw it in a can of carb dip. the main body won't fit in the gallon pail. Find something that is does fit in and transfer the dip to that container then drop the main body in it. What elevation are you at? At 8000' here i know that Holley doesn't make a small enough power valve so you have to restrict the flow in the metering block with a strand of copper wire and drop three jet steps. For most off road driving you can adjust the float bowls down to keep fuel from spilling out of the vent tube. If it stutters off idle you may need a bigger accelerator pump. This can be made worse with the installation of a carb spacer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just saw that Sparta IL is at 528 feet so out of the box i bet that carb would be fine.. just make sure is is in good working order and CLEAN! Make sure someone hasn't put a screw in the vacuum secondary linkage. Also, they come with a pretty heavy spring in the vacuum secondary. Get the secondary spring kit and play around with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Heard good stuff about the Avengers. In the classic Mustang world a lot of people preferred Holleys for tweaking more for a little more power, but Edelbrocks for better reliability. At least that's what I've gathered.

I have a Holley 600cfm on mine (which is a bit of overkill for the 289) and I admit I am constantly having to tweak that thing to make it run right depending on the weather and humidity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts