Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bronco and it has the throttle body 950 4 bbl on it but it has no software except the cord to hook up to the lap top. Here is my ? Does anyone know if I can set this with out any software are adjust on it under the hood? Seems to be running just a little rich,
Thanks
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't have too much experience with the holley systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could not make a fuel adjustment with out tuning software and a computer that can talk to the controller.

·
Registered
762 Posts
RTFM, try google. Probably running rich because it's too much for that little motor, I'm interested in it but it is also probably bigger than what I need. Have you called Holley tech support? It's free

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
First, the "950" deisgnation is the model.."Commander 950" to be more correct..and it NOT the cfm rating, although the largest of their throttle bodies is 950 cfm in that series, if I recal correctly.

You cannot change anything on that system without the tuning software running from a laptop. You could take a backyard hack approach and play with lowering the fuel pressure to see if your rich condition is improved..but without the software running, you have no idea where you are on the fuel map, where your O2 comp is operating, what the engine temp map modifiers are, etc. With the software, you can tune and diagnose ANYTHING on the great system...its like ahving an entire diganotics center AND EFI tuning all in one nice (but rather extensive and complex) softwre package.

Oh..and I'm running the 950 system with biggest TB and injectors they offer, on a built 400 because I got it cheap on EBay. That is the beauty of the system..the old rules of thumb regarding cfm selection for carbs do NOT apply..those rules are related to having an adequate vacuum signal..something largely irrelevant for a completely tuneable EFI with the progessive 4V setup that the Holley TB has.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm with BM69.

Altho I'm running the Megasquirt system, both parallel in many ways. I can tune my engine running down the highway (with someones help) you can do things with the holley and MS systems that are not possible with carbs.

If you would be willing to read and educate yourself a bit, you might be surprised what you can accomplish. The holley and MS systems are good learning tools and you can really teach yourself a lot about automotive fuel injection systems.

But, you get out of it what you put into it. The holley and MS systems require a bit of knowledge and finesse.

I need a serial cable and a laptop/desktop with a USB to serial cable adapter, and some software to tune my megasquirt system. Can't imagine the Holley system is much different. Give Holley a call and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I need a serial cable and a laptop/desktop with a USB to serial cable adapter, and some software to tune my megasquirt system. Can't imagine the Holley system is much different. Give Holley a call and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised.
Hollye's tech support for that system is generally very good. In almots every repect, the Commander 950 system is the mirror image of the old Projection crap..and the Commander will work with the wildest of engine combos including supercharged or turbo setups

..but I wish Holley would go to USB instead of serial port on the ECM, so I don't have to use a USB-to-serial adapter on my laptop. Oh well..small nuisance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
the problem is that RS232 stuff is cheap and common. what they will tell you is that most professionals have serial ports on their laptops, but the only current laptop I know of with onboard serial is the panasonic toughbook. who can afford one of those? I've been wishing for usb connectivity for years.

The tuning aspect of the two systems still astounds me. I'm currently working on an Aircooled VW turbocharged with E-85, and I'm using the same ECU as what's on my bronco.

The Holley system is well worth the learning curve. So much more useable than a carb. You can probably find an old laptop, and start tuning the Holley system for less than the price of a new carb. Or borrow a friends laptop and tune it up and return the laptop. anything you can do to keep the fuel injection.

I'm sure you can get some help here on this board or I'm sure Holley has a tuning forum also.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
The tuning aspect of the two systems still astounds me. I'm currently working on an Aircooled VW turbocharged with E-85, and I'm using the same ECU as what's on my bronco.

I hear ya. I'm setting one up (Commander 950 with the 470 cfm 2V throttle body) on a '49 Ford flathead V-8 with a Powerdyne centrifugal supercharger....LMAO..no fuel maps listed fer that one but the same Commander ECU as is on my Bronco will make it run just fine.

I bought a used 'obsolete' Toshiba a few years ago on Ebay for 65 bucks..because it has a serial port. The only thing I have ever used it for is Commander tuning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!! Can you buy just the software for this? I will call Holly I guess. I'm waiting to get it back together. I'm putting headers on it and pipes then I will check the timing and see how that is and start from there.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Thanks guys!! Can you buy just the software for this? I will call Holly I guess. I'm waiting to get it back together. I'm putting headers on it and pipes then I will check the timing and see how that is and start from there.
Thanks.
you sure can..and if you buy it from Holley you will have the most recent version..mine is about 4 years or older and they have fixed a few bugs here..added a few things there. Most of the bug fixes were for the multi-port stuff, IIRC, and not the TBI , but its best to the hahve the latest stuff installed if/when you need any tech support from Holley. (who, by the way, support any Commander system as if ya bought it new yrself..regardless.)

·
Registered
777 Posts
yea, I've got an old dinosaur running windows 98 for my tuning. don't need nothin fancy there.

If'n it was Megasquirt, all the tuning stuff is open source freeware :beer.

I'm looking at some of the commander 950 stuff on the holley site and looks like you will need their "special" adapter cable for tuning at $70.

But it looks like you can download their software here for free :beer.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Another thing to be aware of on the laptop side of the house. Lots of laptops have a monitor connection that looks just like a serial port, but the wrong gender, and more pins.

You will probably just mangle a connector if you tried.

The moral of the story is to be very sure what you are connecting to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Thanks. I downloaded the software, now after I get the truck back I will see whats going on. The thing runs great but when you are sitting still and just gas on it, It will go dead but if you are going down the road at about 10 are so gas on it you better hold on. Also after you drive it for 3o min are so seems the idle is up but that could be the spring I have not changed any of that and I did spray it with wd and it seem to help.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
In the Holley tuning software, there are two acceleration enrichment prameter sets: Delta TPS and Delta MAP. Both contribute an additional amount of injector pulse duration (extry fuel, immediately) over the base fuel map value; the amount for each is based on a rate of change detected in the TPS and MAP values. The faster either changes..the more fuel added. You should stat with the TPS enrichment values..increase those a bit, especially the ones toward the right side of the entry table that are for faster throttle movement (a throttle 'blip' for example..which is where it sounds like yours is stumbling).

Tuning the Delta TPS is equivalent to playing around with the acellerator pump size and cam setting on a carb.

Tuning the Delta MAP tabnle is almost identical to the TPS..the faster the drop in manifold pressure, the more temporay fuel is added. This is equivalent to the operation of a power valve on a carb. You can alos increas or decrease the delay time..the amount of time in milliseconds that the additional fuel is removed from the base fuel map value after it has been added due to a sudden drop in manifold pressure (i.e. gas pedal got stomped..)

Make small but significant (i.e. 15-20%) changes in these parameters and then check it out after each change. It will come around.

Your idle problem sounds like your IAC valve is not properly balanced. This means that the throttle body stop screw is set too far open and, once the motor warms up, the IAC is maxxed out in its closed postion and cannot drop the idle any further. You can see in real time what the IAC postion is on the computer screen and verify that..and get it back to a good operating point by playing with the stop screw on the throttle boddy. I have mine set so that the IAC is about 20-25% open, on average, when the engine is warmed to normal temp, leaving 75% of the IAC capacity, or 'range', available for the cold idle control process.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank bmc69!! I printed that off so I could look at it and go into all of it and check everything out. To bad your not from MS because sound like you have done you search on this. I have printed off everything holly has on the site and trying to read it and understand it so maybe I will get it before to long.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The golden rule of tuning these things.

Change ONE thing at a time, test carefully, and be able to get back to where it works.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts