Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Well it looks like im gonna get a job at the home depot down here in Havana i mean South Florida.. Has anyone worked here?? Did you like it?? So on thanks guys..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I worked at Builders Square back in the day, Lake Worth and DelRay. Couldn't be much different. Fun, easy access to Elec supplies, duct tape,wd-40,hose clamps, zip ties....... ya know, important stuff. Also a good way to make the kind of friends that'll help you build stuff and wrench on your ride.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
Retail blows. no way around it.
Yup, but these places are big enough to hide for at least 6 hours of an 8 hour shift! I think Lowes gives everyone a damn phone to carry around, that would suck. Just walk around in your orange apron with something in your hand for an hour, then the next hour, carry something else. Dude, Im king of the slackers, just hollar if you need some more tips or advice! :thumbup

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I worked at Sprint, I hated my job, my boss, my coworkers, and everything to do with the place. So I became slack master. I'd take naps in the mens room. I was so happy to quit that place.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
My best friend from back home is second in charge at one of the Lowes stores. They gotta be damn near the same.

Retail DOES suck, but if you stick it out there is "decent" money to be made.

He worked his way up over the course of about 6 years, and he's being prepped to run his own store. I'd be surprised if he didnt have it by the end of '06.

You gotta be ready to work stupid hours, and you gotta be ready for not very much pay in the beginning. The thing with companies like that, is there is a ton of room for advancement. With the combined turnover, and the fact that they open new stores all the time, there are lots of ways to move up.

I'll never do retail again. None of that stuff is worth the hassle to me.

I need my weekends.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
yeah, after a year at menards, walmart of home depots, I was 1st ass building material manager and pulling like 32k or so. But damn do you have to stick it out. don't get shit if you do not stay the full calender year. Whatever you do, stay away from wherever deliveries are.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
Whatever you do, stay away from wherever deliveries are.
Yeah, thats like the bottom of the shit pile, and you wont get enough face time to move up. Every day greet the manager in a kind and polite way (just shy of kissing ass), then disappear for 8 hours. :) Eventually, you should have his job. :toothless

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
At there as a part time, they will give you 50% for your schooling.

I agree, Menards is the WalMart of home improvement stores.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i worked there. what do you want to know?

my favorite thing to do was a tossup between getting the forklifts on 2 wheels and sleeping in the appliance storage trailers out back. if you can, get a job in receiving or deliveries, those are the easiest and deal with customers the least. i never wore an apron and just walked around looking lost all the time. pretty funny when new employees ask you if you need help finding anything. oh yea, easiest ~$12 an hour i ever made and there benefits are pretty decent too.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
So your gonna get all of use all the hardware, power tools, etc we need right...right?

What part of the store you gonna be workin in?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
magnumpi said:
So your gonna get all of use all the hardware, power tools, etc we need right...right?
no employee discounts and defective/broken mechandise gets shipped back to manufacturer

·
In Front of Jopes
3,572 Posts
Andy351 said:
no employee discounts and defective/broken mechandise gets shipped back to manufacturer

HD employees got 20% for the Holiday season.
Brought a DeWalt 13" planer with my discount:goodfinge

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
2 friends and a brother worked there. All liked it, as far as retail went. Good money, and advancement is there if you want.

Seriously, if you're makin 12 bucks an hour starting out in Florida, you're doing good. We have some of the lowest wages in the US.

-Will

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
well, for starts, their tool brand, tool shop, is crap, like real crap man. Usually you can bully them into replacing anything, but that's only if you want to screw with going all the time. Everything is constantly a mess bc there is no night stocking, all done during the day. And atleast in my store, when i was manager for the BM dept. Our lumber got worse and worse man. It got to a point when I went out to pull one of our contractors deliveries bc we kept shipping him crap, well yeah, we had to stop at another Menards on the way just to get enough decent, not good, decent shit to fill his order, that he placed a month in advanced. Can you tell I liked working there and being in charge of stuff?

I pray to god alla bhudda i get that state job i am working on and never have to go back.

·
Super Moderator
25,754 Posts
good advice!
Also, be prepared, if you're in a particular section, such as Electrical/Lighting to deal w/some really aggravating stocking situations (caused by corporate decisions?), such as selling the old T1-11 siding but not stocking the drip guards/Z-flashing; or selling really expensive lighting fixtures, but not stocking replacement lamps such as the R14's w/2 base sizes, etc.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
Retail blows. no way around it.

pretty much, although i work in a grocery store. still sucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts