Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at a 2 story house, built in 1995....built on a good slope, enter on 2nd story, etc. The house had an inspection done a month ago and the guy found that the kitchen floor has a slight slope with a crack in the dry wall, and the ceiling downstairs has a "crease" below that area.....says that it maybe in need of a floor framing repair and to determine that it would have to tear out part of a wall and the floor. Does anyone know ballpark what this could run, is it catastrophic, dealbreaker, etc.................Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Without seeing it, its hard to tell what it could cost. If it has to be done, figure the entire wall needs to be removed and redone, if you do it yourself, a few hundred bucks and a few hours (15-20 maybe)

flooring and replacement of braces etc gets trickier and more costly. Most companies will do a free quote maybe have someone come out and look at it and see what they say

·
Registered
37 Posts
Without seeing it, its hard to tell what it could cost. If it has to be done, figure the entire wall needs to be removed and redone, if you do it yourself, a few hundred bucks and a few hours (15-20 maybe)

flooring and replacement of braces etc gets trickier and more costly. Most companies will do a free quote maybe have someone come out and look at it and see what they say
x 2 on the quote!
alwas look for some one who's been in the biz for awhile and has satifed customers!

·
Registered
674 Posts
You don't need a builder yet. You need to get an engineer to assess it to find out why it has these issues. They will then recommend the proper fix. Their fee- $500 or so.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
I would also agree on the engineer assesment. being that the house is built on a slope there could be an issue there with the foundation and such.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Get the engineer in there. I am thinking the foundation may have settled.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yeah the wall is likely NOT the culprit. Unless it was just completly botched, it's not that common to have a framed wall cause those syptoms. It's likely the foundation. Not cheap unfortunatly. How far out are we talking here? Like these guys said the first thing is to find a contractor. They should then be able to get an engineer in there to make a diagnosis. The contractor can then get you an estimate based on what the engineer says needs to be done.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
If the guy really wants to sell the house. Have HIM get it checked out/fixed as part of the deal or walk. This is a buyers market.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
If the guy really wants to sell the house. Have HIM get it checked out/fixed as part of the deal or walk. This is a buyers market.
With a state registered PE signing off on it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Home Inspectors, Engineers, etc need to be selected and hired by the BUYER to represent the BUYER's interest. As a buyer, you do not rely on a contractor to select them for you, nor do you ask the seller to produce these evaluations. If they are hired by the seller, they may be influenced to make things not seem so bad. Likewise, if they are hired by a contractor they may be influenced to recommend more than needed.

Engineers, and I suspect Home Inspectors too, are required to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.

That said, credits at closing can reimburse the buyer for paying for this. However if the buyer walks, he's out those inspection fees.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Call the Arredando Group. They are pretty good foundation experts.

Arredondo Group
www.arredondogroup.com - (512) 302-6000

Good Luck!

·
penis
3,318 Posts
You can get a second opinion even a third if you like, get repair qoutes as well these can be used as a bargining chip in your favor and if they disagree to an inspection walk away. If it was mean I would get a couple qoutes (some places are hard up for work so they may do free estimates and free inspections). Get a qoute (go highend on it) like if the whole side of the house needs to be repaired and they need to redo the foundation. The more you are armed with at the table the better it will work in you favor.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Also note some (most) of the time settlement evaluations are done it's an extended process. They need to make sure that the settlement has ceased, but when you're talking a rate of an inch or two over 15 years it can take some time. Last time i was part of a settlement evaluation, ceramic strips were epoxied across all cracks that were found in the foundation, and then they were ignored for 6 months. After that period of time, if ALL of the strips were intact, then settlement was deemed a non-issue anymore. if ANY had broken, then the house was still moving too much to be repaired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts