Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 5.1 receiver, now I need to add speakers. I want good without putting me in the poor house... I'm loooking for suggestions here, not flames..

Thanks y'all :thumbup :popc1:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Tomh971 said:
I got the 5.1 receiver, now I need to add speakers. I want good without putting me in the poor house... I'm loooking for suggestions here, not flames..

Thanks y'all :thumbup :popc1:
I really like my Kenwood speakers. I'm no audiophile or anything like that, but I know for what I payed, I couldnt have asked for anything more. I got one of those package deals, that had all the surround speakers, and a subwoofer. My only regret is that I didnt get a powered sub. I've always thought of upgrading, but I'd rather spend my money on crack and hookers.

I think I paid under $400 for all the speakers, and they've been abused for the last 4 years, and they're still going strong.

I got my stuff from the BX, but Crutchfield.com had very similar prices(and a better selection).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I just got my dad a KLH 5.1 speaker system. Not the best speakers in the world, but for the price they're very good. I have a 100amp KLH powered sub I've had for 5 years with no problems.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
You can build your own pretty high quality speakers fairly inexpensively. GOOGLE around for surplus home electronics and such. I built a pair for under $150 for enclosures, woofers, mid-range, tweeters, crossovers and enclosure insulation and cloth. They're much better than a pair of high-end speakers we have from Radio Shack (if RS really have any).

If you go that route, wattage, frequency range and insulated enclosures are what you look for.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
Klisph speakers are GREAT and have come down a lot in price. Also take a look at yamaha's speakers, they are usually fairly inexpensive and work good. I've got an older 5.1 set of yamaha satallie speakers and sub. I love it.

A lot of people may suggest bose, but from what ive found their stuff is WAY overpriced. You can get something just as good or better, cheaper from some other manufacturer.

If you want to go all out get some Definitive Technology speakers :thumbup

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at Sony, JBL, Yamaha, and Klipsch... and leaning toward the JBL's... but not deadset on anything yet. Although, I don't know which is better, front firing, or down firing subwoofer...

·
Retired
16,006 Posts
I would use either of these JBL, and Klipsch... I own the Klipsch and I like them. Mine has a 100w 10" sub.:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
Tomh971 said:
I'm looking at Sony, JBL, Yamaha, and Klipsch... and leaning toward the JBL's... but not deadset on anything yet. Although, I don't know which is better, front firing, or down firing subwoofer...
I absolutely love my JBL bookshelf speakers, model HSL-610 (maybe?).

Sorry that doesn't tell you how they fare in home theatre speakers, but the pair I bought won all 10 catagories against 12 different high end pairs in stereo review years ago. It was on the strength of that article that I bought them.

I'd love some klipsch, like the guys suggest, but I can't afford that kind of quality.

Sixlitre

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
i completly forgot about JBL they are a great bang for the buck. I almost bought some a while back

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
I got old school floorstanding 10 inch infinity, and 8 inch infinity book shelf speakers for the front. Infinity center channel, with 4 speaker inside it, bose for the first rear surorund, and sony sattelites for the 2nd surround set, till i can get another set of the bose. i have a two cerwin vega subs, one ground pounder and one facing out. i also have a 9.1 reciever. so when i watch a movie it feels like im in the theatre. now to get rid of my 32 inch TV and go high def 65 inch....drool. 32 has to die first though

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I think I'm going with the JBL's... in either Cherrry or Black...

Front left & right:

Center:

Rear left & right

and 10" 150w powered subwoofer :toothless

I think this will be a pretty good combo... :thumbup
I appreciate all of the input from everyone, y'all were most helpful.

The Klipsch, although I have heard great things about them, they are a little pricey for my budget...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
Those will sound great, they are the newer version of what i was gonna get a while back.....im jealous now

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the record, I finally got a pic of the receiver I got... :twotu: Another Onkyo!! :toothless

Out with the old... in with the new...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
is that a 7.1 reciever?

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No... it's just a 5.1... but it's definitely an upgrade from the old stereo receiver...

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts