Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
seboh said:
One other detail.... the Sam's bar will bind some, but the ones with the shackle pointing up (like in the Sam's photo) will bind less under droop than shackles that hang "down" from the frame.

Clear as mud?
not sure I understand why the direction the shackle is pointed will effect how much it binds....

but I too will say the shackle should point "up", that way when under power in a forward gear, the shackle is in tension....

--B

·
Registered
84 Posts
seboh said:
Because I drew it out one day. As the suspension cycles, the far end of the traction bar moved about a circle roughly 6-8" dia with the center below the bar.

I guess you could make an instance where the center of the circle was above the bar.... but I was looking at cases where the bar was at least the length of the front 1/2 of the springs.
well sure, you've got a theoretical point in space that you want your pivot....
from there, you can build bracketry to put the shackle whichever way you want it....
:shrug

·
Registered
84 Posts
NOBS! said:
say you have a clock the shackle sits at either 12 or 6. at droop on the 6 pos. the shackle would only be able to be pulled back to 7:30(aprox..45*). from 12 at droop the shackle can come down to 7;30(aprox 135*) as well. It's unlikly you'll need to go past9:00(90*) though.
I was afraid thats what you were getting at.....

I'd imagine, as a general rule.....if you've got this linkage designed for this shackle to ride normally pointing up, and "somehow" you got it to point down to "7:30".....
1. you really fawked something up
2. that shackle sure as hell is not going to go back up to "12:00"
3. you probly now have a pair of really fawked leaf springs, and your traction bar is now the least of your worries...

--B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.