Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 1998 Honda Foreman 450. Guy tells me its needs a choke cable, battery, and rear axle shaft. Its a straight axle design. He says its needs an axle shaft but how can I tell its just the axle and not the entire rear end that's shot??? He told it front tires will pull it around but there is no power to rear wheels if that helps.

Anything would be appreciated in helping me not make an expensive mistake!!

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
None of that is difficult to replace, but down here the market is flooded with four wheelers. Buying parts from the Honda shop is not cheap either. I'd keep looking for something in working condition, unless the price is just ridiculously cheap.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Gears will cost ya a good chunk of change...for my moto 4 I have, I found out the rearend was the weak point, and they had issues with them grendading...Gears (ring/pinion) cost arund 350 :shocked: Only paid 800 for mine so it she goes boom, she sits till I find another with a good axle ;) That could be your best bet...buy a junk one for parts, but they are hard to find. As for buying a new rearend, like 2k for mine...

Honestly, the best way to check it out, would be open the fill plug/drain plug and drain the rearend grease out and check for metal shavings. If you can see the driveshaft turn, lift up the back and turn the axle. If the ds turns, then you know that the gears are alright (as long as theres no shavings). Then it's either in the trans or the gears that turn the ds or possibly u joints...

Most likely it needs gears (ring an pinion)...

KC

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe those don't have spider gears so there kind of like a spooled rear end. If it needs just one axle shaft the other side will still spin if you jack it up. Choke cable is easy to replace. Those quads are really strong and a great bike. I work in a dealership and the gas companies around here buy the hell out of honda quads.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
if its real cheap buy it once you know what the problem is. like a forman 4x4 i saw for 500. it just had a smaoking problem. i was the first to emal him but before i got done asking questions trying to figure out how bad it would be he sold it. a deal like that only comes around once in a blue moon down here.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
whats the price? if its more than 800 bucks i'd avoid it. that quad in good shape should bring about 2500 bucks but a rear shaft (the one that connects the axle to trans) will cost a few buck to replace. something sounds odd though. i never saw a foreman yet bust a rear shaft, they just don't have the power.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's selling the foreman and some kymco quad and an old honda 3 wheeler and a 6x8 trailer for 1000. He does have mud tires on the quad though.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Dude, if anyone can manage to brake anything on a foreman or fourtrax those years, they must have been put through some hell. I'd pass. People are upgrading to automatic V-twins everyday, especially in the Southeast.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If you can't start it for me, to show me it isn't seized, I am not buying it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts