Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a true story currently still unfolding for me and its not for the weak stomach.

So . .three weeks ago I noticed a smell in my garage. We had just had some large rain storms come through, same ones that dropped tornados on Toledo and Dundee. Figured maybe something got drounded in my drains that run under the garage floor. No biggie right :popc1:

Well, temps rise into the 90's the next week and it gets humid out. Stench gets a little worse but it comes and goes. Cant really find the source and since it was bearable . . .I still wasnt concerned. I had a three day to school to attend and figured it woould be gone when I get back. :rockon

Well, the second week passed by and school ended. I came home and opened the garage door to get the mower out. Wtf? Stench is still lingering. I mow my yard and its hovering near 88* and humid as a Louisiana swamp. I am wringing sweat (I just walk mowed my yard) so I get down my box fan and set it up to blow at my yard chair. I go to plug in the fan and and and OMG . . I notice that one of my rockwell axle shafts fell over and UNPLUGGED THE F'N DEEP FREEZE!!!

OH SNAP, This aint good. :eek: How long have I noticed the smell? WTF is all in there again? A milllion questions race through my melon and NONE of the scenarios I am contemplating are good.:whiteflag

I cracked the lid and felt the inside wall. Sweaty, warm, humid and then the F'n smell beats me back :barf I drop the lid, grab my stomach and run for the yard. I dry heave a little but didnt puke. OH DAMN . . . BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD. There was over 20lbs of mule deer, 15 lbs of chicken, frozen vegetables, loafs of bread and buns. Ice cream, popcicles, all the usual freezer stuff. Now it was all thawed along with the ice from the sides, rotting and making a soup that makes a episode of Dirtiest Jobs look easy. I plug it in and walked away. I hoped everything would harden up some and make the stench lower to bearable.

Fast forward to this morning . . . I have dreaded sunrise coming all night. Today was the day I was going to tackle the mess. With no extra money I have to try to salvage the deep freeze. Otherewise I woulda thrown the whole thing in the landfill. I borrowed my dads ranger to use the open bed, NFW was that going into the bronco. I opened the freezer and unplugged it before going to get the truck. I used the box fan to blow the stench outta the garage. I got back and the stench was clear through the garage and into the breezeway. Luckily not into the house.

My dads an EMT and gave me a pointer. VIX vaporub into and under the nose to battle the smell. I don some latex gloves and prayed my Lucky Charms (No lie, what I had for breakfast) that I wouldnt puke. I start pulling out the bad . . vacume packed chicken that now resembled a ballon at a kids party . . some frozen spinach that was no longer green but BLACK. Loaf or two of bread . . I think it was . . . :whiteflag

Out the door I go . . . gotta get some air. I cant smell it but my taste buds are raising the red flag. I can almost LITERALLY taste the smell. I gasp for air and try not to hit my knees. HOLY F . . . Kosovo and Kuwait aint got nothing on this. Back in I go . . . :cry

I grab more bags of chicken, some more frozen corn and now the icecream "soup" that used to be neopolitan flavored. Getting to the good stuff now. Frozen blood, ice water, and oh my . . . the mule deer meat. I hadnt hardened much. Kinda mushy, the smell . . . eats its way thru the vaporub and out the door I go. I dry heave a little. The world is off tilt . . I smell it even outside. The smell has sinked into my skin . . my foremarm wreaks I realized after I used it to hold my nose. More dry heaving but I refuse to throw up "me lucky charms" (end leprechan voice)

Back in I go:banghead:banghead I really dont want to at this point :barf I am on the verge. I pull out the plastic tote of deer meat, the ice finally released its grip. One last ten pound chunk of chicken and deer meat froze together in a cardboard box. Its stuck to the bottom . . . Fark. Pull harder holding my breath as I am bent over inside the freezer and the engulfed in the smell. It finally breaks apart a little and I get the last of the big stuff out. I finished pulling out the frozen blood, some chunks of something that smelled aweful and resemmbled chicken fat. There was some dark colored mushy cardboard bits that had soaked blood as well. A nice dark ring three inches up revealed how far up the magical smelling soup had raised.

I dragged the deep freeze outside and put it in the yard. I got the drain plug out and washed it out a little with the hose. A lady on her morning walk strolled by and speeded up when the smell coming from the truck hit her. OH damn . .better get that outta here quick I told myself. Ditch the gloves . . and down the road I go to the county landfill. $15 dollars later and the contents were outta the truck atleast. The smell had eaten its way into the rubber bed mat though and there were snail trails of slim from the boxes streaking the bed. The smell is bad but I dont dry heave at least. Down the road and into town to the car wash. Dads truck gets a bath . . figured it was the least I could do. Into walmart up the street and I grab a gallon of bleech, a bottle of Lysol kitchen cleaner that kills 99% of all bacteria and back to the house I go.

Its almost lunch but I don some fresh gloves and spray the interior down with the lysol . . wipe out the blood and goo :uke:. The smell is still holding strong. I get the worst of it and wash the inside down with the hose. Let that water drain out and wipe out the last of the residue. I then put the plug back in and fill it with water. I dumped in a half gallon of bleech and I am letting it sit. Its currently full and sitting waiting for me to finish typing this. I have showered once before eating lunch and I can still smell the stench over my irish spring soap on my hands and wrists.

Well . .thats been my morning. I gotta finish the deep freeze cleaning and mow yard yet. Wanted to wax the bronco but it may get skipped for beer and a camp fire. Anybody got some remedies for getting rid of the smell if it still persists? I have been told charcoal and newspapers . . and of coarse several boxes of baking soda like you use for the fridge smells. I am open to all ideas . . :beer

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Good god... you are more of a man than I.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,070 Posts
OooooohhhhHHHHH!!!!! I've so been to this scenario!!! You ain't got to tell me what that smell is.........

My story and not to hijack.....

Mom had to move out of her condo. Had a deep freezer. No room for the deep freezer so her son (me) offered to keep it at my apartment. Of course its full of food, but my next electric bill jumped $50 :shocked ....so I tell mom, I can't keep running this for this food that your probably never gonna eat anyways. So I take all the TV dinners to work and labeled them "free". Guys ate them up. But there was a turkey at the bottom (solid right? it's frozen).....Next day I was going up north, unpluged the freezer and told myself to remove the turkey before leaving.............

was gone three days.........

come home............

open the door...........

:barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf

OMG WTF!

:barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf

Walked in and took one look at the freezer and remembered......THE TURKEY.......

And the smell outside the freezer was just the beginning...........
:whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag :whiteflag

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thousands of people had to throw their freezers and fridges away because they had lost power for over 3 weeks with Katrina. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to get that horrible smell out. It's more or less stuck, though you may be able to get most of it out.

·
Chicks dig my
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for an extension cord.
Metal scrappers already asked if I was throwing it out. i told them not yet and was cleaning out the rotted meat after it got unplugged. They gave me a "wtf no way" look and drove off. HEHE. . pussies!!:histerica
You should get some friends and buy the beer.
I checked this route also. Buddy #1 is still on the road and Buddy #2 took the wife to amish country! Guess I need more friends :duh
I'll check the armory to see if we have any in the vault. Guessing not but I wished I woulda had my ProMask. My unit keeps them stored at the armory vs issued to the soldier during the month :banghead
OooooohhhhHHHHH!!!!! I've so been to this scenario!!! You ain't got to tell me what that smell is.........
was gone three days.........
Three days may have been ok . . this went on for atleast two weeks till I found it. Three days meat looks funny but after two its dark . . rotted and could chum catfish three miles away. Hind site i shoulda keep some rotted chicken and went nite fishing for channels tonight . . oh well
Thousands of people had to throw their freezers and fridges away because they had lost power for over 3 weeks with Katrina. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to get that horrible smell out. It's more or less stuck, though you may be able to get most of it out.
I am crossing my fingers. I dont wanna buy another one but rather buy a bow instead to extend my deer season so I can refill it this fall. Wont be a Wyoming muley but an Ohio whitetail tastes better any way :beer

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
No pics? Maybe, drop in some dry ice and let it deep freeze whatever bacteria is in there and then scrub that down with tomato juice.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I read all of this while eating a sandwich.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
thats god damn disgusting. i herd an open coffee can works, full of coffee of coarse

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I feel for 'ya on the stench. Had a similar situation happen a few years ago. Freezer full of beef, chicken, and a couple 20lb salmon. Plus the rest of the usual freezer stuff like ice cream, popcicles, etc.

I took the freezer outside and, like you, emptied the contents and went to the dump. Then hosed the freezer out and washed it with bleech and water and let it sit for a day or two outside and washed it again.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Dang, you lost too much food there.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Wow. that sucks ass .

Same thing happened to bigric. We went to a garage sale and saw a fridge taped closed with a sign on it that said not to open there. That should have been clue #1. His wife saw it and thought it would make a good Beer Fridge/Kegerator. We bought that thing for 15 bucks, loaded it up and went to lunch. While driving to lunch the tape gave way and OMFG it was the most horrible experience of my life. We go straight to the car wash next door and start clearing out old eggs, milk, meat, everything and I am suprised he doesnt puke. He keeps telling me to go in the truck so I am not around it. There were maggots galore if I remember correctly as well. I told him that we need to drive by the garage sale place and dump it out on their lawn but he actually dumped it finally after cleaning it out. man it was terrible!!

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
I wished I woulda had my ProMask. My unit keeps them stored at the armory vs issued to the soldier during the month
Dude, you would've needed a Navy OBA unit...and possibly a MOPP suit.:itsatrap

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I've used the following recipe to deskunk several dogs. Not sure if it will work for you, but it may be worth a try since the ingredients are inexpensive and it may prevent you from tossing the freezer.

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide; 1 cup of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of liquid dish or laundry detergent. Mix these three items in an open container. Wipe the freezer walls down and let it sit in the open freezer for couple of hours. Don't store this mixture. If you create it, use it.

If it works and you keep the freezer, recommend exposing the freezer interior to direct sunlight for several days prior to plugging it in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
More thread jacking time. My uncle, God rest his Soul, committed suicide back in '93. He did the whole "Go to sleep in the running car in the garage" thing. That summer, we had a rather brutal heat wave, with temps being in the upper 90's and low hundreds. His body was not found for four days, after being in that sweltering garage, where we were told the temps got into the 130's plus. You could smell the smell from at LEAST 5+ blocks away. I'm pretty sure ya'll can imagine the rest. It was the worst thing I had ever smelled in my life.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts