Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having problems with my hood latch mechanism. Last 3-4 times I opened the hood I had to spray the mechanism down with Silicone lubricant to get it to latch. Well I changed the oil yesterday and the hood wouldnt latch period. Couldnt even get it to click by pushing the prong down manually. So I ordered a new latch from Bronco Graveyard for $37.

Anyone ever had any problems with their factory latch and if so, how dificult was it to replace? It looks like just two-four bolts and the cable has to be R&Red as well. Anyone have any pointers to make it quick and easy replacement.

And lastly, anyone ever had any problems with the bronco graveyard latches? The local junkyards wanted $20 for a used latch without the cable.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok sooo, I received the hood latch from JBG yesterday and got around to swapping it out today and noticed a problem right away. Steve, you got any idea on how I can remedy the situation? Here is the first picture of the old broken latch side by side with the new latch from Jeffs BroncoGraveyard. If you notice, the secondary latch is noticeably longer on both ends.

Auto part

This picture is the new latch on top of the old latch, notice how much farther left the lever goes on the bottom there? This is where part of the problem comes into play.

I went ahead and installed it into the truck. I havent tried to close the hood yet, but what I did notice is that the secondary lever is almost impossible to get to. It is directly behind the center support. This is a direct on shot

Automotive exterior Grille Bumper Auto part Vehicle

And here is a shot from the side, see how its behind the support? I cant tell if there is a way to swap out that piece at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Radiator Metal

Thanks, I need to get this fixed before work on Monday.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new one is for a different vehicle with a different grille. Maybe it's for a Ranger, a Mustang, a van, or an '87-91. Something with no center grille bar. I wouldn't recommend trying to swap the lever - you're liable to ruin both. Take it back & get the right one, or go to a JY.
GAH!, They are starting to piss me off, this is the 5th part I have order from them and the 3rd that was incorrect.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new one is for a different vehicle with a different grille. Maybe it's for a Ranger, a Mustang, a van, or an '87-91. Something with no center grille bar. I wouldn't recommend trying to swap the lever - you're liable to ruin both. Take it back & get the right one, or go to a JY.
Junkyard wants $25 for the latch, Its only $30 for a new one through JBG as long as they can send me the right one...

Sheesh

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok after talking with an individual at Jeffs Bronco Graveyard and emailing them the pictures they said that they only have 1 kind of hood latch for a 87-96 Bronco and its the one they sent me. They said they werent aware that it changed design or whatever in '92. So they are sending a UPS truck to pick it up tomorrow and are going to refund my money when they receive it.

So my question is does anyone else know where I can get a new CORRECT hood latch for a decent price. A junk yard is a no-go since they want $25 for a used one.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this post till now, But are you sure that it is the latch that is the problem. My cable rubbed through. The inner wire rusted and would stick, holding the latch open. I would have to push on the part where the cable attached to the latch with my finger because the return spring wasn't strong enough to return to locking position. My symptoms were exactly like yours. I replaced the cable (when it broke).

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I didn't see this post till now, But are you sure that it is the latch that is the problem. My cable rubbed through. The inner wire rusted and would stick, holding the latch open. I would have to push on the part where the cable attached to the latch with my finger because the return spring wasn't strong enough to return to locking position. My symptoms were exactly like yours. I replaced the cable (when it broke).
Naw, I am pretty sure its the latch, I have no problems opening the hood, I tried to lock the latch with my finger by pushing down on the lever & it wont latch.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Right, it would open fine, just not latch. As if someone was constantly pulling on the hood release lever. I remember the frustration of pushing on the latch lever and never hearing it go click.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even with it outside the truck with the cable disconnected it wont latch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.