Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I stripped and painted my hood, and now the paint is peeling. Now a buddy at work told me it was probably because there is no heat guard on the bottom of the hood. How true is this? I dont think I've ever seen a bronco/f150 with the heat sheilding on the hood.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
or poor prep/primer

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
my bet is bad prep

my corvette doesn't have any insulation on the bottom of the hood, and on a rainy day it'll cook the water off the center of the hood, but the pain stays (or at least fell off consistent with the rest of the car)

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Ok so I stripped and painted my hood, and now the paint is peeling. Now a buddy at work told me it was probably because there is no heat guard on the bottom of the hood. How true is this? I dont think I've ever seen a bronco/f150 with the heat sheilding on the hood.
if you look at the underside of a bronco hood, it's dual layered, most of the heat is dissipated by the first layer of sheetmetal.

I'm jumping on the "bad prep" or wrong paint bandwagon. The heat won't burn the paint, but it will cause the steel to expand and contract, if it's not prepped right, or you don't have the right paint, it will crack and peel.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Sounds like the paint didn't like the surface

Coulda been stripper not neutralized/taken off properly. Mighta been the the primer wasn't adhering to the bare metal. Mighta been the paint didn't adhere to the primer/sealer.

Lotta mighta and couldas, but there's probably even more possibilities than that. I bought a new steel hood for $150.00. There was only a couple of rust spots and just a few minor dents in my original 86' hood, but.....time is money.

At that price it didn't make sense to spend a couple of hours taking care of the rust and dents, when I could start anew for $150.00.

I didn't even scuff the hood as I was done all the rest of my body panel replacement and just installed the hood and sent the truck in for final paint.

The new hood comes in black sealer/primer. Just scuff, seal or prime to match the type needed under your paint type and shoot !

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts