Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search found some stuff need help tho
I have a 93 5.0L 302

I filled up at shell today with 89 like normal well i start going down the road and i start smelling unburnt gas fumes like crazy and my truck dose not burn rich ever

so i stop get out and walk around my truck and the gas smell is really bad
I also noticed at this time that when i just let the truck idle it hops forward and sounds kinda weird!
so i have to drive to my Girl friends house so i do but when i try and start it to leave it has a hard time and again smells really bad like gas and this only happens while the truck is on

Iam concerned because I take very good care of my bronco and this has never happened what is going on? has something broken or dose this sound like bad gas?

Please any suggestions
Thanks -Bobby-

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are you also burning gas faster than normal? Running overly rich can do that, and with an EFI system tis either an injector started leaking, or the ECM is hanging them open much longer than it should. If tis an injector and the leak is bad chances are the plug is fouled too and it ain't firing quite right (or not at all), so fire up the truck and start pulling wires one by one - every time the wire is off a plug the idle should become rough, the cylinder that causes no change in idle quality with the wire disconnected is the one that's giving you trouble. Also ignition may be going bad, the TFI module for instance is a known issue with these engines - pull yours, hop in girlfriend's car, and take it to a parts store to be tested. And you should also try to pull the codes (if any) from the ECM, you can either buy a $30-35 scanner off ebay, or use a test light and count flashes to figure out the codes, hopefully there will be some info on what's going on...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok, I know this is common sense and MLSC probably didnt mention it because of that, but you will probably want to cut the truck off every time you mess with the plug wires.. I dont think that it can kill you cause Im still alive, but take it from me, it can be a .....shocking.... Experience..

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Your fuel pressure regulator could have failed, which is 10x more likely to happen then an injector failing, or the EEC running the truck extra rich on purpose.

Test fuel pressure.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks yal ill deff check it out thanks for your help!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ok, I know this is common sense and MLSC probably didnt mention it because of that, but you will probably want to cut the truck off every time you mess with the plug wires.. I dont think that it can kill you cause Im still alive, but take it from me, it can be a .....shocking.... Experience..
Nope, you do it with the engine running, this way tis much easier to notice a change in idle - you do pull the wires from the plugs tho, if you yank them off the cap you'll get shocked, but plugs are safe as your hand never gets close to the open end of the wire.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your fuel pressure regulator could have failed, which is 10x more likely to happen then an injector failing, or the EEC running the truck extra rich on purpose.
Good point, throw a pressure gauge on the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. IIRC you should be seeing 35-40psi at idle.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i was messing around with it today and got that gas i got yesterday out of their cuz i thought that might also have something to do with it so i put some 89 from another station in their and it ran allot better still got a little rich fuel smell around back but the idle hop is gone and the horrible strong fuel smell is gone i might mess around with it some more tomorrow again thanks to everyone that cared to help that is what makes this site and bronco people great

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I'd still check fuel pressure. Draining the tank down and readding gas could possible have washed some stuff off of the pickup screen... you might just need to get in there and clean the tank out/replace the pickup screen. Though if that was the case, that'd result in the truck running lean due to lack of fuel pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts