Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I got my oil changed and while finishing noticed that the coolant reservoir was low. So I filled it, only to have it all pour out onto the ground. Turns out there's no hose connected to it and the radiator. While looking around the engine bay I noticed a few other places that looked suspicious. I was wondering if anyone could point out what these spots are for, what kind of hose (or other piece) runs to them and what they should connect to.
Let me know if you need better pics. Also if you know what is wrong in the picture could you take a pic of your under the hood setup so I can see how it should look?

Thanks
specs are 5.0 1990 automatic

1st up is this. Oil cap and uh... whats the other thing that looks like it should be connected to it?

2nd is the top of the radiator.
Top opening is what I'm guessing will connect to the recervoir. What do I need/ what is the second opening (that has the hose clamp on it) for? From what I can tell I should have some kind of U shaped steel hose connecting it.

Last is these two pictures. On top of the thermostat and water pump there are two holes (one on each). Is that normal or is there some kind of screw, plug, or hose that should be going into them?
"On top of the pump"

And on top of the thermostat

·
******* Till I Die
963 Posts
Oil filler hose usually runs to the side of the air cleaner on the older carbed trucks. Im not sure where yours would go if it is EFI.
Top line on radiator neck runs to the reservoir.
Thermostat hole should have a slug in it already. I know on aftermarkets, those are for temp gauges.
Water pump, im not sure. I dont believe it is anything to worry about. It probably has a slug or is cast solid.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Any small diameter black rubber hose with 2 small clamps on each end, i.e. radiator neck as shown in picture and I have one on the bottom of the over flow reservoir because it's not a tight enough fit and leaks, it's what I use.

There should be drainage/overflow " weep hole" on the water pump and some T-stat housings have a screw hole for a temp guage sending unit for the idiot dash guage depending on what yr BKO.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if it looks like there was some coolant that might have come out of the t-stat housing should I plug it? If so, then how?

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
You need to fill in some "Bronco" details under your registered user name, Bronco info: so we know what you got to help at a glance!

Is the T-stat thread hole open.....? or is it just leaking from the T-stat housing/gasket or radiator hose.....pic #5 it's hard to see but I'm sure if you check with your local auto parts store for your year T-stat they should be able to tell you what size the screw/bolt is no....?

For pic #1, for oil filler neck get the "hard" style hose for that and just measure the correct length..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to fill in some "Bronco" details under your registered user name, Bronco info: so we know what you got to help at a glance!

Is the T-stat thread hole open.....? or is it just leaking from the T-stat housing/gasket or radiator hose.....pic #5 it's hard to see but I'm sure if you check with your local auto parts store for your year T-stat they should be able to tell you what size the screw/bolt is no....?

For pic #1, for oil filler neck get the "hard" style hose for that and just measure the correct length..

I'll get some details up in a bit, after I get the "hard" style hose and connect it to the oil filler neck, where does it go?

·
Registered
280 Posts
on the first pic, the hose should run to your air cleaner for the pcv system. there is usually a smaller air filter attached to it.
on the second pic, the capped off nipple on some trucks goes to the upper coolant port on the throttle body. my 86 has the same set up. a po replaced the radiator at one time and the new one came with that extra nipple.
on the water pump, those are weep holes to let you know when the shaft seal is getting ready to fail

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey pfun, is that your engine? If so does your hose just run straight to the filler neck? Mine seems like the hose is going to curve a lot more

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I think most radiators today come with the extra nipple for the long top throttle body cooling hose, mine had a metal T spliced into the heater hose return line and it was rusty and soft so I made a new one out of all brass parts from Lowe's, cost me $12.00 but worth definately it.

www.supermotors.net/17406 - Brass T and IIRC I show the old one vs the new laid out on a white piece on my work bench of paper and there's also another video of it once installed if you want to check out either of them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, got all the hoses and they're installed. Just to make sure the reservoir is supposed to connect to the top inlet right?
When I was looking at it the cap seems to block the small hole on the inside of the radiator so that it wouldn't allow the coolant into the radiator. Does it work like a vacuum in that when it needs any additional coolant it will be drawn in?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
the 1st pic should have a hose for pcv then to air filter housing.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
.... When I was looking at it the cap seems to block the small hole on the inside of the radiator so that it wouldn't allow the coolant into the radiator. Does it work like a vacuum in that when it needs any additional coolant it will be drawn in?
Yup, that's the way it's supposed to work, make sure you have a good radiator cap, or just buy a new one, they're cheap enough.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reviving this thread because of a discovery I made today.
In the picture below there is a tube sticking out of the axle that used to have a tube running to it. The tube broke off and I just noticed it but the end of the tube simply runs to the frame with a wide black cap on it.
Does anyone know what this is for and is it okay to simply cap it off right away?
The rear axle was swapped out for a 1978 f250 rear end

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Do not cap it! It's a vent hose that fell off. Just take a long rubber hose and zip tie it on there and feed it up to your frame. Clamp it in place and your good. This will let the axle breathe and crap won't get in there.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Do not cap it! It's a vent hose that fell off. Just take a long rubber hose and zip tie it on there and feed it up to your frame. Clamp it in place and your good. This will let the axle breathe and crap won't get in there.
+1
But get a oil resistant hose line a Fuel line, Also if you cna make it go up higher, Go for it.
I replaced my with some fuel line from Advanced and routed it up above the gas filler neck with a filter attached to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1
But get a oil resistant hose line a Fuel line, Also if you cna make it go up higher, Go for it.
I replaced my with some fuel line from Advanced and routed it up above the gas filler neck with a filter attached to it.

Thanks guys, I figured it was something like that but wanted to confirm.
Are the caps at the end of the line reusable? mine is still there its just cracking from being old

1 - 18 of 18 Posts