Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in standard Imperial measurements

They switched to metric just after I got my license. That said, I kinda knew 44 degrees Celsius(with the humidex) was warm today.

I went to the environment Canada website and toggled on the "f" next to the temp and low and behold 111 degrees Fahrenheit came back at me.

I'm over to Pappy's to screw his doors shut so he doesn't try to mow the lawn or anything silly.

After that I'm going over to my buddy's widowed Mom's house to get her central A/C on the go. Some rat [email protected]$turd tradesman unplugged her sump pump, to plug in his drill and never plugged it back in again.

Her hubby died less than two years ago and she didn't know what to do, and the damned basement flooded.

Some more flakes came over and likely switched off the breaker to her A/C and now she can't get it going again.

I worked with a lot of other stellar tradesmen in my life, but this next generation seems to be total imbeciles (certainly the ones she's hiring are).

Hope everyone survives the heat this week (it's like we moved Canada to Texas:toothless).

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
I opened this thread expecting "hot" in Canadia to be 70°F...
I stand corrected. :D
Imagine that, temperature doesn't know its supposed to stop at the border. :doh0715:

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,069 Posts
That's weird. We were talking at work today how this was the coldest Fourth that any of us could remember.

If you don't find a breaker issue with the A/C, check the main contactor (Relay) for the unit. I've come across more than a few that have hung up after sitting for awhile. A tap on the contactor with the back of a screwdriver will sometimes do the trick. Sort of knocks the spiders out, & if it's used regularly afterward, it can work for a long time. For a paying job, I'd probably replace it, since I wouldn't want the chance of a callback.

One time I had a friend looking over my shoulder while I looked at his broken A/C, & I had some fun with it. After a little testing that showed the issue to be at the contactor, I wiped some dust off the edge, rubbed the back of the screwdriver, then lined it up carefully like it had to hit the exact spot, twisted the driver a little like it mattered, & gave it a quick tap. The contacts closed, & the compressor fired right up. He stood there with his mouth hanging open. It's been a few years, & every time I ask it's still going strong.

Don't forget that cool baths/showers are a backup heat survival option for an elderly person when the A/C dies during a heat wave.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It's supposed to get to 36C here today which is 96.8F. This also without any humidex, since it doesn't really get humid here, nor is it close to how hot it will get this summer. Every year it'll get to around 42 or 45C here, which is 107.6/113F. But where I live is a semi arrid dessert so it's quite understandable that it gets this hot here, I just thank god we have A/C and a big lake.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened this thread expecting "hot" in Canadia to be 70°F...
I stand corrected. :D
Yeah you and Redwagon

are likely used to this, but it's not all that normal up here, though we are a country of temperature extremes.

Like my Western cousins are eluding to, it could be worse, our whole prairie belt is sopping wet.

The lady hasn't called back so she must have got it fixed (that or she can't reach the phone, lying on the floor from heat stroke).

Thanks for the tips El Kabong. I hear you on the elderly. Got my old Pappy on limited trips to the store in his air conditioned Chrysler.

Pretty sure he understands the risks to himself at these temps.

Although we're up to 95 today (and likely tomorrow too) we're actually down a tad on the humidex to 108 degrees, so no you joker, it ain't a dry heat;).

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's supposed to get to 36C here today which is 96.8F. This also without any humidex, since it doesn't really get humid here, nor is it close to how hot it will get this summer. Every year it'll get to around 42 or 45C here, which is 107.6/113F. But where I live is a semi arrid dessert so it's quite understandable that it gets this hot here, I just thank god we have A/C and a big lake.
That's hot Mrs.D

I sure miss my pool I can tell you

Sixlitre

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes it is quite hot here, but I'd rather be here cause it is a dry heat. I don't know how you people in Ontario can stand how humid it gets there, I don't think I'd leave my house.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is quite hot here, but I'd rather be here cause it is a dry heat. I don't know how you people in Ontario can stand how humid it gets there, I don't think I'd leave my house.
The Ottawa Valley and Ottawa itself

is one of the worst areas of Ontario for humidity I've ever lived in. At least at the Lakes you get the breeze and winds to move systems through.

In the Ottawa Valley a system can hang here for days, with no decent body of water to benefit from the winds the lakes get.

And I don't let Pappy out in weather like this. I do just about all his errands to allow him to stay out of the heat and humidity.

Take care of you and yours Mrs D

Sixlitre

·
Registered
901 Posts
So for the last 2 summers I've gotten almost a full body rash whenever it'd get really hot. I'd get it everywhere I was exposed to the sun, except not so much my legs. Last year I thought it was my sunscreen since it was different than what I normally use. It could be the actual sun, the heat, or wearing sunscreen and the heat are the 3 choices basiclly. So in one of the sunniest places in canada I'm pretty much screwed. Going to go to the Dr though and see what he says, maybe take a different anti-histamine since mine didn't help. That'd be a simple and quick fix, I just really hope it's not something like avoid the sun, and don't get hot, cause that'd be next to impossible here in the summer.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Scottish Auntie is over visiting me right now

She too has developed a huge rash, she is blaming on the scads of skeeter repellent she needs to spray on to avoid being eaten alive.

Everything I've given her is making it worse; Noxema, etc.

Even I got a bit of rash on my passengers side temple, just ahead of my red beard's sideburn.

I rarely apply skeeter repellent, even when I'm golfing in the evenings, so it's gotta be the sun in my case.

Let us know what the doc puts it down too and good luck

Sixlitre

·
Registered
901 Posts
So the Dr has no idea whats going on, and thinks it's an allergy to something. It's between the heat and food, but he's leaning towards the heat. Just great, I happen to live in one of the hottest places in Canada and I become allergic to the heat. He said Benadryl would probably help, but the last time I took it a few years ago it knocked me on my ass.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took Auntie dearest over to friends BBQ the other night

and the poor dear hurled her lunch all over. Pretty sure it's the heat she's sufferin' from.

On the up side my rash is gone. We gave her some Gravol but we'll try that Benydryl you suggest.

Good luck with yours

Sixlitre

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dunno it's alot less hot here in Michigan than it was when I worked in Corona Ca.

·
Registered
128 Posts
its been 125F everyday for the last two weeks here...it gets all the way down to 99-101 around midnight. and enough with this "dry heat" thing. an oven is dry heat too...when you open the door and the air hits you in the face, does it matter if it is dry or not? a typical hair drier operates at around 120-125F...thats a "dry heat" too...now, hold a hair drier on full heat, full fan, at about arm's length from you, and aim it at your face...as your skin starts to tingle, remind yourself that "it's a dry heat"...as your eyes dry out and start to hurt (leave em open...this is a reality drill...), remind yourself that "it's just a dry heat". now for some real fun...get some freinds to bring their hair driers over, and have them aim them all at you...on high heat...full fan...all over your body. do this for the entire day, as you try to go about doing your daily routine. remember to keep telling yourself "its a dry heat". as your clothing gets soaking wet with sweat, your skin hurts from the constant hot air blowing across it, and you drink 12 qts of water in a 12 hour period, you will see that "dry heat" is just as f'ing hot as humid heat...and actually is more uncomfortable in some ways...things like your belt buckle will burn you...your eyeglasses will burn your nose where they sit on it...your lips will stay chapped and cracked...your skin stays dry and sore...your wedding band will burn your finger...etc. it is simply unreal to live in this heat day after day. it got up to 141F here last summer, and stayed close to there for almost a month. we are heading that way this year too it seems. it was staying over 100F before the end of april.

oh...and for some added effect, while your hair drier is blowing in your face, toss some baby talcum powder into the wind...that is what the dust is like here...just like talc. :) nice, eh?

definitely take precautions from the heat...we here are considered "acclimated", so the heat has not as severe an effect on us...the heat wave in north america right now is catching people off guard, and they are not able to cope...especially the young and the elderly...so nail Pappy's doors shut, keep the A/C cranked, and hire the neighbors kid to mow the lawn...it too dang hot out there right now!!

just dont tell me "oh, but it's a DRY HEAT" !!!!!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
its been 125F everyday for the last two weeks here...it gets all the way down to 99-101 around midnight. and enough with this "dry heat" thing. an oven is dry heat too...when you open the door and the air hits you in the face, does it matter if it is dry or not? a typical hair drier operates at around 120-125F...thats a "dry heat" too...now, hold a hair drier on full heat, full fan, at about arm's length from you, and aim it at your face...as your skin starts to tingle, remind yourself that "it's a dry heat"...as your eyes dry out and start to hurt (leave em open...this is a reality drill...), remind yourself that "it's just a dry heat". now for some real fun...get some freinds to bring their hair driers over, and have them aim them all at you...on high heat...full fan...all over your body. do this for the entire day, as you try to go about doing your daily routine. remember to keep telling yourself "its a dry heat". as your clothing gets soaking wet with sweat, your skin hurts from the constant hot air blowing across it, and you drink 12 qts of water in a 12 hour period, you will see that "dry heat" is just as f'ing hot as humid heat...and actually is more uncomfortable in some ways...things like your belt buckle will burn you...your eyeglasses will burn your nose where they sit on it...your lips will stay chapped and cracked...your skin stays dry and sore...your wedding band will burn your finger...etc. it is simply unreal to live in this heat day after day. it got up to 141F here last summer, and stayed close to there for almost a month. we are heading that way this year too it seems. it was staying over 100F before the end of april.

oh...and for some added effect, while your hair drier is blowing in your face, toss some baby talcum powder into the wind...that is what the dust is like here...just like talc. :) nice, eh?

definitely take precautions from the heat...we here are considered "acclimated", so the heat has not as severe an effect on us...the heat wave in north america right now is catching people off guard, and they are not able to cope...especially the young and the elderly...so nail Pappy's doors shut, keep the A/C cranked, and hire the neighbors kid to mow the lawn...it too dang hot out there right now!!

just dont tell me "oh, but it's a DRY HEAT" !!!!!
ever walk outside and feel like theres extra weight on you? thats what the humidity does here. i kept coming in to cool off thinking i was being a ***** and my thermometer held 101+ all day.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts