Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been trying to move from my current location for a couple months now and have not found anything in my originial city of choice (Raleigh, NC).

I have a lead on a job, but it is in ATL, and I am not familiar with the area. Wondering about the housing market mainly. Looking for a house with the following characteristics for under 150K.

3 Bedroom
2 Bath
No homeowners association
1-2 arces (More is always better)
2 car garage (More always beter:thumbup
within 30 minutes of DT Atlanta

Is this something I am not going to be able to find, or reasonable??

Any input is welcome,
Thanks.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
Housing market is yours for the taking right now but you may have to drive a little farther than 30min. If it was me I would look north or west of ATL.;)

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
`give yourself a 45 minute commute window and you've got tons of choices. 30 minutes and you can find that no doubt, but use our help to make sure you don't end up in a really bad part of town. There are tons of deals out there in Atl right now. And you'll become part of the Dixie chapter :D

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
`give yourself a 45 minute commute window and you've got tons of choices. 30 minutes and you can find that no doubt, but use our help to make sure you don't end up in a really bad part of town. There are tons of deals out there in Atl right now. And you'll become part of the Dixie chapter :D
As a former Carolina boy, I am not very..... Well lets just say maryland ain't my cup-o-tea. Lots of people love the place, and I can see why, but it just aint for me (Working for a shitty company doesn't help either). Just looking to see what my options are, and seeing what locations might work.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
My brother's house is for sale. He's in Douglasville/Hiram area. I'm fixin to get started here at work, but will send you a PM when I get a minute. He's done a lot of improvements to the house and it has a privacy fence back yard with a little storage shed he built.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brother's house is for sale. He's in Douglasville/Hiram area. I'm fixin to get started here at work, but will send you a PM when I get a minute. He's done a lot of improvements to the house and it has a privacy fence back yard with a little storage shed he built.
I appreciate the idea, and wouldn't mind som pics. But no big rush, it would be six months or so before I was ready to sit down at the settlement table. Gotta get everything else in order first, and figure out how to get all the vehicles down there if I do move.....

Right now I was just tossing around the idea of being a georgia resident.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
I was there last year and I agree, there are some really nice areas just outside of the cite. Well worth the drive, besides some of the best bronco folks going. Lucky You!

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was there last year and I agree, there are some really nice areas just outside of the cite. Well worth the drive, besides some of the best bronco folks going. Lucky You!
From what I have heard so far staying on the north side of the city might be my best option.

No I just need to finish my SAS prior to moving, or put new wheel bearings in the TTB.......

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's not all great in the ATL. I want you to know what you are getting into. 3 million white people live 30 to 40 minutes outside Atlanta and drive to work everyday. Traffic is a joke,and we are in our 9th or 10th day of a code orange smog alert. I had some friends visit from Fla this weekend. They wanted to go to stone mountain. It's a big hunk of rock like 1,000 ft tall. On a good clear day you can see the North Carolina mountains 200 miles away. This weekend you could not see downtown which is like 7 miles away. They asked why it was so cloudy I had to explain to them that it was pollution not clouds.

The ocean is 7 hours away so don't even think about it. I like it here because the mountains are only two hours away, and that is the only thing I like about the ATl. That being said, You should probably rent for a year before you buy. You have to find somewhere that will be close enough to drive and still keep your comute under an hour. Don't even look south of I-20 unless you have a concealed weapons permit and don't mind shouting people, anything inside the perimeter of I-285 is also a crap shoot. If you have kids Gwinnett county has the best school system just try and stay North of Norcross.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not all great in the ATL. I want you to know what you are getting into. 3 million white people live 30 to 40 minutes outside Atlanta and drive to work everyday. Traffic is a joke,and we are in our 9th or 10th day of a code orange smog alert. I had some friends visit from Fla this weekend. They wanted to go to stone mountain. It's a big hunk of rock like 1,000 ft tall. On a good clear day you can see the North Carolina mountains 200 miles away. This weekend you could not see downtown which is like 7 miles away. They asked why it was so cloudy I had to explain to them that it was pollution not clouds.

The ocean is 7 hours away so don't even think about it. I like it here because the mountains are only two hours away, and that is the only thing I like about the ATl. That being said, You should probably rent for a year before you buy. You have to find somewhere that will be close enough to drive and still keep your comute under an hour. Don't even look south of I-20 unless you have a concealed weapons permit and don't mind shouting people, anything inside the perimeter of I-285 is also a crap shoot. If you have kids Gwinnett county has the best school system just try and stay North of Norcross.

Being far from the Ocean Doesn't really bother me that much as I have gotten my fair share of it over the past year or so. No kids, so on the safe side there, and I did have my VA CCL, but not in maryland where it is a may issue state.

I am going to most likely rent for a couple months until I find something. if the job pans out (It is pending on them purchasing a property for me to manage) I will be able to rent an apartment month to Month until I find something.

I would be working in the higher end housing area's (I am assuming they are north for the most part), and would probibly almost never go into ATL unless it was to a sporting event or work.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts

Haha, that about sums it up. :thumbup

And as much as I'd like to see my brother's house, you probably wouldn't be happy here. You do need to stay north of Atlanta. That is where the higher end houses are.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, that about sums it up. :thumbup

And as much as I'd like to see my brother's house, you probably wouldn't be happy here. You do need to stay north of Atlanta. That is where the higher end houses are.
I really don't care as much about being in a high end house, just wanting to have a place where I can have enough land for the dogs to run (2 acres would be great), and maybe build another garage a couple years down the road. I guess I really need to just get down there first and worry about the exact house later. Just wanted to get a feel for it prior to jumping in.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i'd stay far away from ATL, i used to live in Beaufort S.C. for a couple yrs.been down in ATL not to keen on the ethnic change in that part of the south. isnt the chris benoit house for sale by now?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i have looked at 30 to 40 houses in your price range. All north east of Atlanta. Suwannee is by far the nicest area; although average home price is around 250,000 you can find foreclosures and older houses for the 150,00's. Beauford and sugar hill are the next best. I'm with you and the land. Around 1990 Atlanta experienced the "open your window and shake hands with your neighbor" style of housing communities. You will be EXTREMELY luckly to find a house built after 1990 with anything more than a 1/2 acre in the 30 to 40 minute driving range. At least that is what I found in the North east side. Search for housing in these areas to get a idea of what is out there. That is for the Northeast side. Mel can help you out on the north west side. Directly north of ATL is Roswell, and the high dollar communities 250,000 is the low end and 350,000 is the average for that area. That is where all the moviestar, ball players live.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
how is the construction market on new/renovated homes? any work out there for a custom trim guy/site-super. i gotta get out of NY, its killin me.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,927 Posts
how is the construction market on new/renovated homes? any work out there for a custom trim guy/site-super. i gotta get out of NY, its killin me.
Slow, even non-existent I'd venture to say. PM 88Mule, him and his dad are contractors I believe, he could probably tell you.

I see land where they've cleared and put in the road for a new subdivision, and there's no houses, it just grows up with weeds and sits there. I've seen building slow way down. My dad and brother both work in the grading/excavation side of things and their work has slowed down.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts