Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

So It seems I may have a seized up motor it was sitting for 10 years so I guess if finally had it. I am looking for recommendations for a place to take it in the Houston area . I dont want to get screwed and dont have a ton of money. I called Bumbera's and I am sure their work is solid but man 7K to 10K is a lot. Just curious if anyone's had any good experiences

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
32 Posts
You may want to complete the information in your signature so that we know what year and motor you are talking about.

That said, I was recently looking for a rebuild for my 351W and in my area no one was willing to do it. I called 10+ shops and they said that I probably wouldn't find anyone unless I was trying to do a high performance build through a speed shop. I ended up getting a remanufactured motor for 2k and there are plenty of remanufactured motors like that available for 1500ish to 2500ish and there are a lot of crate motor options that have better than stock builds in them.

If you want to roll the dice you could also try your luck with a junkyard motor.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo Mad Max,
As sunburn79 suggested;
How To Add Your Signature »
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward pointing arrow and then select “Account Settings” from the drop down menu.

From your “Account Settings” page you will then see more navigation option of the left side. Select “Signature”.

Now you can simply enter your signature information in the text editor and click save.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may want to complete the information in your signature so that we know what year and motor you are talking about.

That said, I was recently looking for a rebuild for my 351W and in my area no one was willing to do it. I called 10+ shops and they said that I probably wouldn't find anyone unless I was trying to do a high performance build through a speed shop. I ended up getting a remanufactured motor for 2k and there are plenty of remanufactured motors like that available for 1500ish to 2500ish and there are a lot of crate motor options that have better than stock builds in them.

If you want to roll the dice you could also try your luck with a junkyard motor.
Thanks for the info

I did find a place good reviews for a long block installed 2600 and Transmission rebuild 1800 installed...I mean is it a big task to install them yourself?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info

I did find a place good reviews for a long block installed 2600 and Transmission rebuild 1800 installed...I mean is it a big task to install them yourself?
Most shops quote 20 hours of labor based on my research. So consider that, plus the fact that you're slower than them doing it yourself, plus the fact that depending on the age of your Bronco you might be running into shearing off bolts, stuck bolts, other parts that need to be replaced along the way and etc.

So it really depends on your skills and the state of your Bronco. Could be as easy as a quick swap over a weekend. Could be very long project.

For what it's worth, the cheapest quote I could find was $4900 which includes a remanufactured long block, water pump, plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor, new oil, new coolant, and a few other things that i'm probably forgetting. Basically it was 2k motor, 2k labor, $500 in small miscellaneous parts and then tax on top.

$2600 installed sounds really cheap to me based on most shops I contacted quoting $2k just in labor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most shops quote 20 hours of labor based on my research. So consider that, plus the fact that you're slower than them doing it yourself, plus the fact that depending on the age of your Bronco you might be running into shearing off bolts, stuck bolts, other parts that need to be replaced along the way and etc.

So it really depends on your skills and the state of your Bronco. Could be as easy as a quick swap over a weekend. Could be very long project.

For what it's worth, the cheapest quote I could find was $4900 which includes a remanufactured long block, water pump, plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor, new oil, new coolant, and a few other things that i'm probably forgetting. Basically it was 2k motor, 2k labor, $500 in small miscellaneous parts and then tax on top.

$2600 installed sounds really cheap to me based on most shops I contacted quoting $2k just in labor.
Ok thanks so much for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts