Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So here is the deal. I'm new to Broncos. I have always driven mustangs. However, my wife and I are moving to significantly colder climate (48" of snow this past march) so I can go to law school. I sold the mustang and bought a 1995 Bronco, 5.8L with an E40D. Since I need this truck to last me a good 3 years I immediately brought it home and tore it apart- changed the oil, spark plugs, new battery cables, anything that looked in bad shape has been repalced. My wife wanted me to pull/replace the carpet since it looked pretty bad so I did...and that's when the trouble started. After pulling the carpet I noticed the transmission access cover (what is the right term for this part?) was bent up on one side and was only being held on with 3 bolts. I removed that and discovered this...

The crack runs across the top and half way down the driver's side of the bell housing. The transmission is not acting like it has any problems. I drove it about an hour and a half to get it home after buying it. So here's my question...how big a problem is having a crack in the bell housing? Law school has claimed most of the bank account and I really can't afford a new transmission, I had used most of extra from the sale of the mustang to fund preventative maintenance on other areas of the Bronco.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
can you see both ends of the crack?

doesn't look good

the bell housing takes a lot of stress
it has to transmit all engine torque to rest of driveline

before you pull it out, you can try to find someone who does aluminum tig welding and ask them if they can weld it in truck

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Hello,
So here is the deal. I'm new to Broncos. I have always driven mustangs. However, my wife and I are moving to significantly colder climate (48" of snow this past march) so I can go to law school. I sold the mustang and bought a 1995 Bronco, 5.8L with an E40D. Since I need this truck to last me a good 3 years I immediately brought it home and tore it apart- changed the oil, spark plugs, new battery cables, anything that looked in bad shape has been repalced. My wife wanted me to pull/replace the carpet since it looked pretty bad so I did...and that's when the trouble started. After pulling the carpet I noticed the transmission access cover (what is the right term for this part?) was bent up on one side and was only being held on with 3 bolts. I removed that and discovered this...

The crack runs across the top and half way down the driver's side of the bell housing. The transmission is not acting like it has any problems. I drove it about an hour and a half to get it home after buying it. So here's my question...how big a problem is having a crack in the bell housing? Law school has claimed most of the bank account and I really can't afford a new transmission, I had used most of extra from the sale of the mustang to fund preventative maintenance on other areas of the Bronco.

I'd say someone tried to jump it or something. How big of a problem is it? Its "you need a new transmission, period." big.
You can't just leave it like that, only a matter of time before they break apart. I doubt anyone would weld it, and even if they did its really only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah...from the looks of the crack it probably runs through and through. As said, welding the outside might buy a little time, but an r&r is what's needed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had the same thing on my AOD. When i took out the tranny and brought it to the shop he had several cases to choose from he sold me on for 50bucks. Might have the same luck in your area

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the replies.

So I have found a guy willing to sell me the E40D and transfer case out of his 94 F150. Anybody able to point me in the right direction on where I can find a write up for removing/reinstalling one of these transmissions? The search button only lead me to a great write up on changing the fluid/filter/pan.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts

So I have found a guy willing to sell me the E40D and transfer case out of his 94 F150. Anybody able to point me in the right direction on where I can find a write up for removing/reinstalling one of these transmissions? The search button only lead me to a great write up on changing the fluid/filter/pan.
same as any other 4x4 ford transmission: drain fluid, remove driveshafts, remove transfer case, remove cooler lines, unplug wiring harness, unbolt torque converter, remove transmission crossmember, drop transmission onto driveway (optional), have a beer to celebrate great success, sober up from beer, do the exact opposite of everything you just did but with the new transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts

There were changes in 1995 for the E4OD, see http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205359. You may want to hold out for the same year E4OD as your Bronco.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW
That wiring draped across the trans doesn't look too healthy. :rolleyes: It looks like each wire was spliced on the driver's side, which doesn't make sense. And what's that loose one in front? Wash all of that off thoroughly with a garden hose & some surfactant (SimpleGreen/PurplePower/409/Fantastik...) so you can see what's going on.
Steve, thanks for the input I was hoping you would chime in.
The good news is the wiring, I work for a wiring harness manufacturer so I got a couple of our techs to have a look at it and after we got the mud off the harness turned out to be in acceptable condition.

So the 94 E40D, from what I've read it has a different set of mlps connectors and possibly some different internals is this a deal breaker? Or an easy enough thing to just swap the mlps?

I also found an E40D out of a 97 F series with a 351, would this be a better choice?

Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,

Thanks for the correction- E4OD. The 97 is for a 4x4. It should be plug and play is that correct?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Doesn't the F150 have a slip-yoke-style output shaft in the t-case? I suppose you could split the case and exchange output shafts, correct?

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Hello,

Is the breather on top of the tranny still intact, it's hard to see, but would be the blob up top just back of the crack.

I think I generally agree with Steve though:

1) can you ask the former owner how that crack happened?
2) it's shifting/acting normally? How many miles on the trans, ever rebuilt, I doubt?
3) fluid looks good, did you drop the pan to drain fluid/filter if the prior owner has no history on this?

The tranny in this will be your most expensive issue, so you should focus on this. Why the wires up top all unbundled?

On the flip side, I am a fan of the E4OD generally. Tranny was used in all ford fullsize trucks through 1 ton, it is strong, and if cared for properly can last quite awhile.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the breather on top of the tranny still intact, it's hard to see, but would be the blob up top just back of the crack.
As far as I can tell the breather is intact.

1) can you ask the former owner how that crack happened?[/QUOTE]
Believe me, when I found this I got a hold of the PO real fast. He had no knowledge of it. I'm inclined to believe him since the title showed he had only had the truck 9 months and the jbweld residue on the crack was older than that.
2) it's shifting/acting normally? How many miles on the trans, ever rebuilt, I doubt?
Yes it is shifting acting normally.

3) fluid looks good, did you drop the pan to drain fluid/filter if the prior owner has no history on this?
I have no reason to believe that it has been done. I was planning on it and actually have the fluid and filter/gasket kit sitting in the back. However, at this point I'm going to be getting a different transmission.

The tranny in this will be your most expensive issue, so you should focus on this. Why the wires up top all unbundled?
If you are talking about the wires hanging from the dash- that is because the PO's kid tried (emphasis on 'try') to install a stereo and subwoofers...all he ended up doing was putting a very large quantity of unnecessary wire behind the dash which has been a real pain to pull out.

At this point, I have procured an E4OD out of a 97 Superduty that had a 351 in it. The guy is throwing the transfer case in for free so I'm not overly concerned with it's usability. To top it off I talked my future brother in law, who is a transmission installer into swapping the two transmissions for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try to talk him into REBUILDING (or at least opening & inspecting) the '97.
Tried that, but he politely declined. He thinks that after I'm making him drive 5 hours one way, just to swap my transmission, in my drive way, that it would be a bit much to ask for him to open it up in my drive way as well...he is kind of a tool. *sarcasm*

That said, we'll probably be loading it with amsoil. My dad is a distributor for the stuff and I would probably be disowned if I didn't use it. Couple that with the fact I get it free + free install + ridiculously (as far as I'm concerned) cheap replacement transmission means I might just be able to eat this month after all. And being able to eat and drive this beast safely is a successful month at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Will your dad pay for the rebuild if the trans craps out after you fill it with the wrong fluid? MotorCraft won't either, but theirs IS the best fluid for it, and the least-likely to cause it to crap out.
what is the best source for the MC fluid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts